Overwatch in Japan

General Discussion
Why is Overwatch not so big in Japan? If it is. That's NEWS to me. With the Korean & even Chinese interested you would think Japan would be as well. . .
Japan is a niche pick. They only play some times but Korea and China tend to be better at their niche then them so they just dont play since they arent viable even in their niche. >_>
To be fair, just because they're not represented in the OWL doesn't mean it's not popular. They even had a team in the World Cup.
I thought Overwatch was the most popular FPS in Japan.
01/26/2018 03:35 AMPosted by FBP
Anyway to confirm such beyond this?
01/26/2018 03:35 AMPosted by kosaba11
To be fair, just because they're not represented in the OWL doesn't mean it's not popular. They even had a team in the World Cup.
I never heard any NEWS whatsoever about Overwatch in Japan, sales or anything else.

All I see are Koreans but everybody knows Japan are some of the best Gamers on the planet. Just seems odd to myself.
in japan it's Splatoon
01/26/2018 03:42 AMPosted by atomahawk
in japan it's Splatoon
Im aware Japan has turned more towards mobile gaming & Switch. Maybe they just aint into PC gaming as much. . . Idk lol. Even the PS4 aint selling so great there but Im sure Monster Hunter World will remedy some of that. I would imagine at least.
01/26/2018 03:38 AMPosted by IIAKs0nII
I never heard any NEWS whatsoever about Overwatch in Japan, sales or anything else.

All I see are Koreans but everybody knows Japan are some of the best Gamers on the planet. Just seems odd to myself.

Just because Overwatch is extremely popular in America and South Korea doesn't mean that it's extremely popular everywhere. Besides, Japan is the home of Nintendo. If you think Blizzard is going to make a huge dent in that market, then you must be silly.
It also has a lot to do with Japan as a culture. Generally speaking all of their competition is in actual sports. The only competitive game that's really caught on big in japan to my knowledge recently is League of Legends. Well, unless you count fighting games. Fighting games are a lot about learning and growing and fighting yourself as much as the opponent, though.

Shooters have never been super popular there
Competitive games aren't that popular there

Therefore, Overwatch wouldn't be.
I don't think Japan likes FPS games. They like MMOs and visual novels.
Japan doesn't have a tradition of PC gaming in the same way as Korea; while Korean gaming is built on PC Bangs, Japan has traditionally been more geared towards arcades and home consoles/mobile gaming.
01/26/2018 04:12 AMPosted by kosaba11
...Anyway to confirm such beyond this?...I never heard any NEWS whatsoever about Overwatch in Japan, sales or anything else.

Just because Overwatch is extremely popular in America and South Korea doesn't mean that it's extremely popular everywhere. Besides, Japan is the home of Nintendo. If you think Blizzard is going to make a huge dent in that market, then you must be silly.
Japan is the home of Sony too. . .

What are you even saying.
01/26/2018 04:17 AMPosted by SasakiKojiro
It also has a lot to do with Japan as a culture. Generally speaking all of their competition is in actual sports. The only competitive game that's really caught on big in japan to my knowledge recently is League of Legends. Well, unless you count fighting games. Fighting games are a lot about learning and growing and fighting yourself as much as the opponent, though.

Shooters have never been super popular there
Competitive games aren't that popular there

Therefore, Overwatch wouldn't be.
Curious as to how much so to be exact. Sales wise. I think yall are right though.
Japan is all about conoles. Why do you think most JP games are console exclusives?
01/26/2018 04:41 AMPosted by HANA
Japan is all about conoles. Why do you think most JP games are console exclusives?
They're not any longer. Unless developed by Sony. Switch games will obviously never be on PC though.
Some of it probably has to do with how esports are technically illegal in Japan. That's why the majority of games from Japanese devs are single-player.
01/26/2018 03:31 AMPosted by IIAKs0nII
Why is Overwatch not so big in Japan? If it is. That's NEWS to me. With the Korean & even Chinese interested you would think Japan would be as well. . .

I looked and on Twitch alone, Overwatch isn't too hot outside of America and Europe.

http://blog.viewster.com/japans-top-20-fps-and-tps-shooter-games/

Now with that said, FPS are not huge over there. Best selling game last year was
Monster Hunter titles
Since I do watch the KAC, I had to put my two cents here. The fact is that in e-sports itself, what's big on Japan is SoundVoltex[SDVX](Konami) and BeatmaniaIIDX. One of the top players in Japan is called Dolce, he does livestreams of his SDVX and IIDX plays.
The Konami Arcade Championship(KAC) happens every year and the selection phase happened from the end of december 2017 to midway through this month(10th-15th).
All Konami arcade games are played in the KAC, and of course, Dance Dance Revolution has many players in the tournament. Also, Konami streams all matches in their official channel on Youtube.
You can get some news from the KAC through Bemanistyle(the forums where Bemani gamers/music gamers hang out).
Shame. Japan & the rest dont even know what they missed out on then I suppose. Sucks to be them.