Overwatch in Japan

General Discussion
I'm on the Asian server and I play on PS4, and there's actually quite a lot of Japanese players. Can't say the same for PC though.
01/26/2018 05:57 AMPosted by mayora13
I'm on the Asian server and I play on PS4, and there's actually quite a lot of Japanese players. Can't say the same for PC though.
Thx for input. Im clueless so thank you.
Japanese market is odd for us. They're more opened to everything Japanese, and less to America for instance.
When look at Xbox(ok Xbox One isn't doing as good at 360), it's barely 100 units sold a week there, for thousands and thousands of Nintendo/Sony consoles.
Futhermore, the reason they tend to buy an Xbox is not to play, but to watch 4K Blu Ray(Xbox One S being a cheap 4K blu ray player), it's even marketed as a 4K blu ray player that can optionally play games in some big stores.

That being said, last year poll revealed that Japaneses' favorite shooter was Overwatch, followed by Splatoon :

10. Titanfall 2 (PS4/Xbox One/PC) - 39 points

9. Alliance of Valiant Arms (PC) - 41 points

8. Battlefield 1 (PS4/Xbox One/PC) - 46 points

7. Battlefield 4 (PS4/PS3/Xbox One/Xbox 360/PC) - 51 points

6. MAG: Massive Action Game (PS3) - 55 points

5. Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair (PS4/PC) - 59 points

4. Goldeneye 007 (N64/Wii) - 62 points

3. Rainbow Six Siege (PS4/Xbox One/PC) - 71 points

2. Splatoon (Wii U) - 89 points

1. Overwatch (PS4/PC) - 96 points

https://kotaku.com/poll-japans-favorite-first-person-shooters-and-third-1795534424
That's very interesting. The one thing I did take notice of was that SquareEnix is doing the publishing of Overwatch over in Japan. Seems like a power move by Blizzard to have a strong publisher backed behind them.

Glad to see Japan aint missing out.
01/26/2018 06:07 AMPosted by IIAKs0nII
That's very interesting. The one thing I did take notice of was that SquareEnix is doing the publishing of Overwatch over in Japan. Seems like a power move by Blizzard to have a strong publisher backed behind them.

Glad to see Japan aint missing out.

Square Enix also have their own high-octane shooter called Gunslinger Stratos on the arcades.
01/26/2018 03:31 AMPosted by IIAKs0nII
Why is Overwatch not so big in Japan?

Because Overwatch is not Monster Hunter.
01/26/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Neospartan

LOL. It's funny because it's true.

Also, like some people above said, to today's Japanese, PC gaming is pretty niche, reserved for visual novels and (dare I say it) more... indie/lecherous titles. Most of their serious gaming happens on PS and the various handheld consoles, as well as on mobile phones.
01/26/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Neospartan

MHW might just bring the West over to the darkside as well. Too bad we never got MH Frontier which was PC exclusive for a long time but this should make up for such.
01/26/2018 05:26 AMPosted by iamcatbug
Some of it probably has to do with how esports are technically illegal in Japan. That's why the majority of games from Japanese devs are single-player.

Could you further explain?
01/26/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Aepherion
01/26/2018 05:26 AMPosted by iamcatbug
Some of it probably has to do with how esports are technically illegal in Japan. That's why the majority of games from Japanese devs are single-player.

Sure! I did a project on the yakuza last semester, and while doing research for it, I came across an article that mentioned them and the gaming community. Apparently, video games technically fall under the same umbrella as video poker. So basically, laws to police the Japanese mafia prevent the growth of esports there! Here's the article I found if you wanna read it for yourself!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-29/yakuza-laws-hold-back-e-sports-contests-in-game-obsessed-japan
01/26/2018 01:49 PMPosted by iamcatbug
01/26/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Aepherion

Sure! I did a project on the yakuza last semester, and while doing research for it, I came across an article that mentioned them and the gaming community. Apparently, video games technically fall under the same umbrella as video poker. So basically, laws to police the Japanese mafia prevent the growth of esports there! Here's the article I found if you wanna read it for yourself!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-29/yakuza-laws-hold-back-e-sports-contests-in-game-obsessed-japan

Really? I'm pretty sure the Konami Arcade Championship(which is a e-sports championship) just started in december.
I've seen a lot of Japanese female YouTuber's play Overwatch. Mobile gaming is kind there but for what it's worth Overwatch seems to be a success there.
Currently in Japan
It's all splatoon
R6S
BO3
B4 and other games. Overwatch is up there but not as popular. I have multiple people who play but they play rarely. Instead they grind on R6S all day
01/26/2018 05:57 AMPosted by mayora13

In PC I've seen quite a lot Japanese players though less than Koreans and Chinese.
Just an update on e-sports in Japan, guys. The semi-final round of Dance Dance Revolution at the Konami Arcade Championship just happened between Yudai and Brosoni. Yudai won the round on a close call, moving on to the finals in february 10th and 11th.
And a pretty nice situation happened just after the match. Brosoni asked his girlfriend in marriage after the match.
Source: https://www.bemanistyle.com/2018/01/28/ddr-tournament-surprise-wedding-proposal/
Because Japan can make much better videogames than western developers. They simply don't need overwatch.
Japan is to busy playing Streetfighter to play Overwatch
Mostly console players in Japan, but they do a lot of a fans. I see Japanese fan art all the time.
Because only mercy has big... personality.

What. It's a factor you know. I'm just saying.
A) Not enough loli heroes.

B) Not enough schoolgirl heroes.

C)Not enough tentacle monster heroes.

D) All of the above.