Fun Fact: Mercy 1.0 was Not OP

General Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
Highly Rated
And she generally stayed underused until her rework.

Back then Ana dominated the meta, with Lucio and Zen following after. Mercy was considered a troll-pick. A F-tier hero (D-tier at best), picking Mercy on the team didn't guarantee you a win in most cases.

Now that Valkyrie is here, Mercy's pickrates and winrates grew out of control. And even after 4-5 Hard Nerfs, she's still a must pick. Even the most ambitious of Mercy's critics can't deny that her rework was largely a mistake. And the devs trying to work with her Ultimate in E-Move form has been an even messier process to fix - They generally dislike the PTR mercy and it's nerfs.

Well, if it's not obvious enough by looking at her history, there's an old saying...
If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

It's time to bring Mercy back to her grassroots. It's time for her to be balanced again. True and fair balance. Move her E move back where it belongs, as an Ultimate, and work on balancing her from there.

It's time to revert. #RevertMercy
Highly Rated
Lets not forget. She wasnt a mustpick either, and the ones who were mostly picked at the time before Mercy was either Lucio or Zenyatta and that she was close to an equal level with all the other supports.

And with her mass rez, she wasnt even meta to begin with.
<Removed by forum moderator for toxicity>
Fun Fact: Mercy 1.0 was unhealthy for the game. It's objective, no matter how you look at it. A support who gets value out of their ultimate by letting their team die isn't a good thing.
Highly Rated
I believe all of her Averages also got cranked up to WUMBO!

Her average Rezzez went up despite being single target, healing, damage, you name it...

(Which is why I question when they said they look at stats when deciding Balance. Because...they should have seen within the first month that this change was completely overtuned.)
01/28/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Honchkrow
I believe all of her Averages also got cranked up to WUMBO!

Her average Rezzez went up despite being single target, healing, damage, you name it...

Maybe that's because Mercy was actually in the fight more than she used to be. Not hiding in a corner for half the game.
Highly Rated
01/28/2018 07:14 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
Fun Fact: Mercy 1.0 was unhealthy for the game. It's objective, no matter how you look at it. A support who gets value out of their ultimate by letting their team die isn't a good thing.
Except you DON'T let your team die, they die on their own due to you not being able to sustain them with your measly 60 HPS VS ults that deal double or even triple that damage.
Inb4 another Mercy topic gets locked by a Blue.
Highly Rated
Prior to the rework, one of the most common topics on these forums were pleas for Mercy to get an E ability.

Mercy players weren't happy with there being zero middle ground between their team doing well, and their team being about to die with nothing Mercy can do about it (except resort to using her ult). Other healers have combinations of damage, cc and utility when their healing isn't enough to win a fight, but all Mercy has is a piddly damage boost with inconsistent results, and a gun she can't even use without abandoning her healer status.

Putting rez on E completely missed the point of having a secondary ability in the first place. Mercy needed something that would keep her actively engaged during the fight, so she wasn't railroaded into playing for rez as soon as the odds weren't in her team's favor.
Highly Rated
I agree, OP. #RevertMercy!
01/28/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Zwei
Except you DON'T let your team die, they die on their own due to you not being able to sustain them with your measly 60 HPS VS ults that deal double or even triple that damage.

Objectively wrong.

Many Mercy players let their team die to get value out of their ult.

Even if you make the argument that "It was only bad Mercy players that did this" it still doesn't change the fact that mechanically a mass rez is unhealthy for the game.
She was only OP on console, but that’s because we never had the triple tank meta since there was no Ana team mate aim assist. Mercy was always a must pick because she was our only main healer. Now we have Moira and Ana has team mate aim assist. If they were to revert Mercy, she would not be OP or a must pick.
Highly Rated
01/28/2018 07:19 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
01/28/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Zwei

Objectively wrong.

Even if you make the argument that "It was only bad Mercy players that did this" it still doesn't change the fact that mechanically a mass rez is unhealthy for the game.

Mass res is unhealthy? I think it's fair to say that it's way more healthy than Valkyrie has been to the game so far, since she was atleast not in every single fight and wasn't a must pick like she is now (Mercy Meta that is happening right now - if you don't have a mercy you generally lose). Are you saying that Mass res is more overpowered than Valkyrie?
Highly Rated
01/28/2018 07:19 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT

Objectively wrong.

Is there like a statistical chart that highlights Mercy players letting their team die?

And no, your opinion was not a fact. You know whats a fact? That prior to her rework, she was fine. Rez was not a problem than it is now. People are complaining about her more than ever BEFORE rez got changed into what it is now.

You know what else is unhealthy? Having to rebalance a hero 4-5 times for 1 rework change. If a rework needs to be rebalanced so many times consecutively, then that means theres something wrong with the rework, and its unhealthy to keep putting a bandage over a stab wound.

The devs know this and it's good.

It's been proven that they don't want a balanced healer. Literally 99% of all people who spam the forums with "#RevertMercy" are Mercy players. I mean, do they want to lose lots of tank and dd players, or just the Mercy players? I can easily tell that countless people will leave the game if they revert her. There's zero reason to do that.

"Uhh, she wasnt op thoo brah". Yeah, sure <5% pickrate in professional games. She always was the most picked support. Not only does she appeal to lots of people out there(and hell, I don't mind), but also because she was always a strong pick.

I mean, why the hell would anyone play one of the most underpowered heroes? That F-Tier argument seriously never made any sense.
Mass res is unhealthy? I think it's fair to say that it's way more healthy than Valkyrie has been to the game so far. Are you saying that Mass res is more overpowered than Valkyrie?

I'm saying it's less healthy for the game.

The PTR nerfs fix most of the issues with Valkyrie (It lasting too long, Mercy being too fast and her being able to instantly rez 2 players)

Having to fight an entire fight 5v6 because your Mercy was hiding to get value out of their ult isn't fun.

Having to fight the same fight twice because the enemy team had a Mercy hiding isn't fun.

Both teams weren't having fun thanks to Mercy 1.0.

I much prefer having to shutdown the moth once than having to kill 5 people twice.

I much prefer being healing and sustained in the fight and dying with my support actually trying to keep me alive instead of dying because my Mercy isn't even partaking in the fight.
Highly Rated

That's the bad way to play Mercy. But there are bad ways to play all the heroes, so why is it that Mercy was Public Enemy #1 for that?

You're also starting from the bad assumption that when you have an ultimate your job is to try and make immediate use of it.
01/28/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Ðanfinity

It's been proven that they don't want a balanced healer. Literally 99% of all people who spam the forums with "#RevertMercy" are Mercy players. I mean, do they want to lose lots of tank and dd players, or just the Mercy players? I can easily tell that countless people will leave the game if they revert her. There's zero reason to do that.

"Uhh, she wasnt op thoo brah". Yeah, sure <5% pickrate in professional games. She always was the most picked support. Not only does she appeal to lots of people out there(and hell, I don't mind), but also because she was always a strong pick.

I mean, why the hell would anyone play one of the most underpowered heroes? That F-Tier argument seriously never made any sense.
Another fun fact, Jeff mentioned that Mercy players make up the majority of gamers and that she's extremely popular (one of the most popular and most played). I think it's fair to say that they are also considering the opinions of Mercy mains just as much as anyone else.

https://youtu.be/5P1Md792fF8?t=6m29s
01/28/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Crestren
she was close to an equal level with all the other supports.

She wasn't close. The support category Was pretty much perfektly balanced. Ana only had problems with barriers. All the other (healing) support's were equally valuable.

Biased opinion. Nothing more than that.
Mercy 1.0 was one of the healthiest things in the game. It made the game not only smarter but also way more organized, more team based and it was to some degree anti toxic.
It's just wrong to say that it was unhealthy.
01/28/2018 07:30 AMPosted by xavvypls
01/28/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Ðanfinity

Another fun fact, Jeff mentioned that Mercy players make up the majority of gamers and that she's extremely popular (one of the most popular and most played). I think it's fair to say that they are also considering the opinions of Mercy mains just as much as anyone else.

https://youtu.be/5P1Md792fF8?t=6m29s

I know, I just wanted to mention that they won't revert her though, that would probably split the playerbase in half. And I don't think they want to p!ss them off by making a decision like this.