Fun Fact: Mercy 1.0 was Not OP

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 13 Next
02/02/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Dreadpap
01/28/2018 07:14 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
Fun Fact: Mercy 1.0 was unhealthy for the game. It's objective, no matter how you look at it. A support who gets value out of their ultimate by letting their team die isn't a good thing.

why the hell are you being down voted? Are people this blinded by their love/hate for certain characters? The sheer stupidity of the majority on these forums in cringe worthy as f.
Because it isn't true? He feels Mercy was unhealthy for the game. It's his opinion, which means his next statement, "It's objective, no matter how you look at it" is false. And the third ("A support who gets value out of their ultimate by letting their team die isn't a good thing.") is also his opinion.

He claims objectivity, but only provides subjective points. That's why he's being downvoted.

- Mercy 1.x was objectively balanced. There are stats to back this up.
- Lúcio was objectively balanced, both before, and after, his rework. There are stats to back this up.
- Mercy 2.x was objectively broken. Again, there are stats to back this up.

Only ult that can be countered by managing ults? Because transcendance is never saved for blade/graviton or anything like that...

But yeah, it's so easy to save ultimates to efficiently wipe the enemy team twice in a row. It's not like the other team will have more than just resurrec to stop you if you have multiple ults.

That was the game. Mercy's team forces you to use ults to get the first wipe, then gets resurrected with their own. It tended to get the Mercy's team a large ult advantage.

You're not getting it. Res can "counter" an infinite number of ults, the thing is if you're wasting multiple ults to get an overkill that's on you and your team for being retarded. There is no reason to dump three ults into a Grav, not killing Mercy, and then crying. Darwin awards for everyone. You can also use ults to take out 1-2 key picks and then just mop up the 3v6, because their Mercy expected your team to be retarded and dump all ults for a leet team kill.

Maybe that works quickplay where there are zero tanks. You ever hear of a shield?

lol because the tank, who is presumably dead, is going to be able to get into position and shield everyone from a McCree that has had almost three seconds to reposition from an already advantageous position.

Lul, you don't even know how the ability worked. You could move before you lost invincibility. Jesus christ...

You had a split second of movement, most likely with cooldowns down, and since you're all dead in a !@#$pile so your hiding Mercy can get "leet value" from a res, yes those shots (and traps, and whatever else the enemy team throws down) yeah it's pretty easy to line up shots. And D.va doesn't even start back in mech.
That was literally impossible with Mercy. It was instant upon button press. The ult is not counterable. Even if you kill her before she can ult, she comes back with it.

One more time, just to be clear: Countering an ult means countering the hero AFTER they hit Q. Not killing them before they have a chance to. You put a cast time of Mercy's resurrect ult, so she can be stunned/killed during it, which wastes the charge for 0 resurrects and I'll happily support that version of the ult.

Mercy's Resurrect Ultimate did have a cast time. Did you not know?
01/28/2018 07:19 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
01/28/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Zwei
Except you DON'T let your team die, they die on their own due to you not being able to sustain them with your measly 60 HPS VS ults that deal double or even triple that damage.

Objectively wrong.

Many Mercy players let their team die to get value out of their ult.

Even if you make the argument that "It was only bad Mercy players that did this" it still doesn't change the fact that mechanically a mass rez is unhealthy for the game.

Correction: Teammates flamed their Mercy to go hide so they could ult. Ergo, it was really OTHER people, not Mercy players themselves, enforcing bad playing behaviors.
02/02/2018 12:07 PMPosted by DarkElixir
That was literally impossible with Mercy. It was instant upon button press. The ult is not counterable. Even if you kill her before she can ult, she comes back with it.

One more time, just to be clear: Countering an ult means countering the hero AFTER they hit Q. Not killing them before they have a chance to. You put a cast time of Mercy's resurrect ult, so she can be stunned/killed during it, which wastes the charge for 0 resurrects and I'll happily support that version of the ult.

On top of that, Resurrect set everyone up for a wonderful team wipe, putting everyone in close quarters. It literally begs the enemy team kill everyone again, thus countering the rez.
At some point the best use of res was just getting 1-3 key team mates that are well positioned up, instead of autistically chanting in chat for everyone to die on point - even the flankers who were doing just fine before along with those that never would have died in the first place if their healer wasn't jacking off in a corner...

Then since everyone died without a healer getting ult value for it, and will likely die again after being rezzed, your team just cucked itself out of 1/3rd an ult and they get a free one.
01/28/2018 07:16 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
01/28/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Honchkrow
I believe all of her Averages also got cranked up to WUMBO!

Her average Rezzez went up despite being single target, healing, damage, you name it...

Maybe that's because Mercy was actually in the fight more than she used to be. Not hiding in a corner for half the game.

Hiding in a corner ??

Like...that reaper ulting ?...That soldier Ulting ? that Genji Ulting ?...That Junkrat Ulting ??...oh my...lets not forget two !@#$ing dragons coming out of the wall...that a japanese guy was using to hide behind it..>

Cut the "uhu duh hide and rez" excuse...EVERY HERO DO IT......but if its a Mercy.."OW MAH GAAAWWWD!! STOHP IT STOHP IT STOHP IT"

Hiding to rez was stupid strategy easy to counter....you can blame a Mercy for doing it but even more a dps for ignoring the fact that "someone is missing"...damn..if Mercy is no where to be found healing it was clear what she was up to do
A mercy main saying that the most overpowered form of Mercy ever was balanced?
w h o d a t h u n k i t

A cast time AFTER it, you couldn't stun/kill Mercy during the cast to stop it. You get the difference, right?

02/02/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Xerus
You're not getting it. Res can "counter" an infinite number of ults, the thing is if you're wasting multiple ults to get an overkill that's on you and your team for being retarded. There is no reason to dump three ults into a Grav, not killing Mercy, and then crying. Darwin awards for everyone. You can also use ults to take out 1-2 key picks and then just mop up the 3v6, because their Mercy expected your team to be retarded and dump all ults for a leet team kill.

Drop the hyperbole, the issue wasn't from people throwing multiple DPS ults into a grav. In games of decent players, a single ult will rarely win or even open up a team fight. Without big plays from your team (or really, big mistakes from enemies) you generally had to invest more than that.

This is critically connected to spawn advantage. Let's take the simple example of 2CP. Mercy was rarely a real problem on the first point, where her team had the spawn disadvantage, but was a massive problem on the second point, where she had the advantage.

Generally, to win 2CP you need a clean team fight, or the enemy can just stagger it out, get faster respawns, and hold the point. To get a fast clean team fight win, you almost always need multiple ults. Mercy made that incredibly difficult. Against Mercy, you had to have 2 clean team fights in a row.

This turned games into hide-and-seek catch the Mercy. Though sometimes, people would kill the Mercy first, not wipe the rest of the team fast enough, only for Mercy to come out from spawn and rez anyway. It was cancer. But you haven't even placed, you basically just play quickplay, so I wouldn't expect you to understand anything about ult economies or spawn advantages.

Maybe that works quickplay where there are zero tanks. You ever hear of a shield?

lol because the tank, who is presumably dead, is going to be able to get into position and shield everyone from a McCree that has had almost three seconds to reposition from an already advantageous position.

This is just not a thing. The heroes can move while invincible to get behind cover, and when they become vulnerable they can use defensive abilites, mobility abilities, shield it, matrix it, stun McCree, etc etc. The idea that high-noon was some sort of reliable counter to rez is a fantasy. Res resets the fight and gives the resurrected team a second to prepare. So high-noon was just as effective as it usually is: where generally, it's tough to get more than 1 kill with it.

You had a split second of movement, most likely with cooldowns down, and since you're all dead in a !@#$pile so your hiding Mercy can get "leet value" from a res, yes those shots (and traps, and whatever else the enemy team throws down) yeah it's pretty easy to line up shots.

You keep reaching for dumber and dumber justifications. It doesn't matter if the enemy team can only move for 1 second while invincible. That means they are just as hard to headshot as they are normally, before being resurrected. There's no "lining up headshots" at all. They are literally just as easy to headshot before they are resurrected as after. If you could just blast heads like that, you'd be hard-carrying games on McCree and would rapidly climb rank.

You just pulled this out of your !@#, it makes no sense what so ever. I don't know whats worse. If you really thought resurrected targets were immobile, or if you just made that fantasy up in a feverish attempt to figure out a counter-point.
01/28/2018 07:25 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
Mass res is unhealthy? I think it's fair to say that it's way more healthy than Valkyrie has been to the game so far. Are you saying that Mass res is more overpowered than Valkyrie?

I'm saying it's less healthy for the game.

The PTR nerfs fix most of the issues with Valkyrie (It lasting too long, Mercy being too fast and her being able to instantly rez 2 players)

Having to fight an entire fight 5v6 because your Mercy was hiding to get value out of their ult isn't fun.

Having to fight the same fight twice because the enemy team had a Mercy hiding isn't fun.

Both teams weren't having fun thanks to Mercy 1.0.

I much prefer having to shutdown the moth once than having to kill 5 people twice.

I much prefer being healing and sustained in the fight and dying with my support actually trying to keep me alive instead of dying because my Mercy isn't even partaking in the fight.

Okay but you do realize that most McCree’s and Reaper’s hide before they ult, right? Mercy 1.0 was annoying but it was easily counterable. The whole “hide and seek” thing was a thing that most Mercy players only did when the team had ultimates.

Resurrect as an ability will never be balanced. #RevertMercy

Um, no it didn't. It activates instantly. Everyone was resurrected the instant Mercy pressed Q. It used to be she remained still immediately after casting it, but that is not a cast time. Resurrect still goes off.

And the fun part is, the cast time was added in the same patch that added the invulnerability, because counterplay.
02/02/2018 12:32 PMPosted by darkseid117

Um, no it didn't. It activates instantly. Everyone was resurrected the instant Mercy pressed Q. It used to be she remained still immediately after casting it, but that is not a cast time. Resurrect still goes off.
Erm, no. You pressed Q and after 1 second, the Resurrect and associated invulnerability kicked in. If you'd actually bothered to play the old Mercy, you'd have known this.

Drop the hyperbole, the issue wasn't from people throwing multiple DPS ults into a grav. In games of decent players, a single ult will rarely win or even open up a team fight. Without big plays from your team (or really, big mistakes from enemies) you generally had to invest more than that.

Yes, that actually was, word for word, the mass line perpetuated by Seagull and others like him. "2 ults for 1" is generally what you hear.

This is critically connected to spawn advantage. Let's take the simple example of 2CP. Mercy was rarely a real problem on the first point, where her team had the spawn disadvantage, but was a massive problem on the second point, where she had the advantage.

Aside from the two maps where she could literally res from spawn, I don't see this. A Zen could easily stop the team wipe before it happens, without having to wait for people to die. If anything Mercy sticks out because of Guardian Angel and being able to pump out more healing than either Lucio or Zen at a critical moment, but giving her say Grav or Transcendence instead of Res would not make her any worse at the last point.

Generally, to win 2CP you need a clean team fight, or the enemy can just stagger it out, get faster respawns, and hold the point. To get a fast clean team fight win, you almost always need multiple ults. Mercy made that incredibly difficult. Against Mercy, you had to have 2 clean team fights in a row.

Walk me through how this plays out. When you say clean kill I have in mind something like a Grav + DPS ult. In that case, Mercy has to 1) be hiding, making the first few seconds a 5v6 and 2) res the entire team into where they were when they died ... bundled up in a Grav. Then again a Grav'd team is unlikely to be killed off cleanly by anything other than Blade if there's a D.Va in mech and another tank sucking up damage. Shatter? If you're asking your team to die on point, they're also getting more and more likely to be caught by the killer ult in the first place.

If they are instead scattered kills, by say a Visor and Blade, a Zen or Lucio can make a ton of that damage non-lethal. Not to mention they're active in battle and so blocking or providing support and boops.

This turned games into hide-and-seek catch the Mercy. Though sometimes, people would kill the Mercy first, not wipe the rest of the team fast enough, only for Mercy to come out from spawn and rez anyway. It was cancer. But you haven't even placed, you basically just play quickplay, so I wouldn't expect you to understand anything about ult economies or spawn advantages.

I doubt too many game designers play comp either. I played like 2-3 hours of comp and placed into Plat, sure, but my calls on balance have been 100% spot on. I predicted the !@#$ storm that would come from the Ana and Mercy "rebalances" down to the most minute detail - not that it took exceptional abilities to do so. Videos of top players whining about this imaginary situation abound, and quick analysis shows the evidence to actually contradict their commentary at the time. There is a good Seagull showcase on this.

This is just not a thing. The heroes can move while invincible to get behind cover, and when they become vulnerable they can use defensive abilites, mobility abilities, shield it, matrix it, stun McCree, etc etc. The idea that high-noon was some sort of reliable counter to rez is a fantasy. Res resets the fight and gives the resurrected team a second to prepare. So high-noon was just as effective as it usually is: where generally, it's tough to get more than 1 kill with it.

You absolutely did not get 1 second of free invulnerable action. You cannot use any ability or attack while invuln, but get a split second of free movement.

You keep reaching for dumber and dumber justifications. It doesn't matter if the enemy team can only move for 1 second while invincible. That means they are just as hard to headshot as they are normally, before being resurrected. There's no "lining up headshots" at all. They are literally just as easy to headshot before they are resurrected as after. If you could just blast heads like that, you'd be hard-carrying games on McCree and would rapidly climb rank.

Go ahead and analyze like 10-15 minutes of footage of major resses from pro play team battles. There are only a handful because it really didn't happen as much as people claimed. Then go look at how many of them are absolutely in the open, clustered together, etc i.e. not in proper cover and good positioning.

Unless you want to claim now that landing headshots on people in wide open spaces, likely with many cooldowns down (unless you were literally planning on handing the entire fight over to the enemy team by saving all of them) are harder to head shot than those that are using cover however it is you think is optimal for your level of play.

People even take precautions when they know a Widow has "walls" and are careful about peeking too much. In the case of a res you're literally a giant glowing target that is out in the open. Unless you're all behind a shield, in which case you'd be clustered for splash damage and AOE ults.
02/02/2018 12:38 PMPosted by Halofreak90
02/02/2018 12:32 PMPosted by darkseid117

Erm, no. You pressed Q and after 1 second, the Resurrect and associated invulnerability kicked in. If you'd actually bothered to play the old Mercy, you'd have known this.

I want you to watch this video very carefully and tell me there's a one second delay between the ult-meter draining to zero, and the silhouette of the Junkrats appearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSh2-Y4hVU8

But hey, I'm just a guy who played before the game officially released so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
02/02/2018 12:49 PMPosted by darkseid117
...Erm, no. You pressed Q and after 1 second, the Resurrect and associated invulnerability kicked in. If you'd actually bothered to play the old Mercy, you'd have known this.

I want you to watch this video very carefully and tell me there's a one second delay between the ult-meter draining to zero, and the silhouette of the Junkrats appearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSh2-Y4hVU8

But hey, I'm just a guy who played before the game officially released so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It does have a cast time. It's just very hard to make out in that video due to all the Junkrat action.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160810200643/http://overwatch.gamepedia.com:80/Mercy

This is just straight up false. Resurrect was instant was Q was pressed.

02/02/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Xerus
Drop the hyperbole, the issue wasn't from people throwing multiple DPS ults into a grav.

Yes, that actually was, word for word, the mass line perpetuated by Seagull and others like him. "2 ults for 1" is generally what you hear.

Xerus, you literally said, and I am quoting, "There is no reason to dump three ults into a Grav, not killing Mercy, and then crying." That's a total of 4 ults.

Now your swapping to talking about 2 ults total, just 1 DPS ult thrown into a grav. That's not a waste of ultimates, that's a normal investment to get a clean fight. 2 ults for 1 is absolutely what would happen.

Walk me through how this plays out. When you say clean kill I have in mind something like a Grav + DPS ult. In that case, Mercy has to 1) be hiding, making the first few seconds a 5v6 and 2) res the entire team into where they were when they died ... bundled up in a Grav.

You basically have it right, except for this idea that resurrected teams were vulnerable. Even if they died all in grav, they could move and spread out while invincible.

I doubt too many game designers play comp either. I played like 2-3 hours of comp and placed into Plat, sure, but my calls on balance have been 100% spot on.

Not to be mean to players who enjoy quickplay, but it's a !@#$-show that runs nothing like the real game. It's very easy to see how you'd miss the significant gameplay problems if that is your main mode.

Go ahead and analyze like 10-15 minutes of footage of major resses from pro play team battles. There are only a handful because it really didn't happen as much as people claimed. Then go look at how many of them are absolutely in the open, clustered together, etc i.e. not in proper cover and good positioning.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say about pro-resurrects.

That aside, there weren't a ton of them, you are right. Mercy 1.0 wasn't a must-pick in pro play. The complaint wasn't that Mercy was OP, but that she created very bad gameplay, because the entire match revolved around Mercy's resurrect and killing her.

Players discussing things casually often mix up balance and gameplay, but they are independent. This is explicitly what Blizzard said for the Mercy rework. It wasn't to nerf her, but to fix the gameplay issue of "hide and rez". And as much as you or others want to argue it wasn't actually problem, it happened in almost every competitive game, and people (who aren't Mercy mains) hated it.

Xerus, you literally said, and I am quoting, "There is no reason to dump three ults into a Grav, not killing Mercy, and then crying." That's a total of 4 ults.

Now your swapping to talking about 2 ults total, just 1 DPS ult thrown into a grav. That's not a waste of ultimates, that's a normal investment to get a clean fight. 2 ults for 1 is absolutely what would happen.

2 for 1 was the chant. It was "logically" extended to infinity by forum posters.

You basically have it right, except for this idea that resurrected teams were vulnerable. Even if they died all in grav, they could move and spread out while invincible.

We do have an approximation of how long the invuln lasts (<1s) and movement stats for players in the game. Assuming they all spread out perfectly (moving in exact opposite directions), a Tracer and Genji would be able to create a distance of 7-12 meters between them. There are a lot of post and pre conditions to "make it work." So many things can go wrong that I can't even recall a single time where the Unicorn Res has made a major impact at high level play (e.g. your SR and above) from a spectator's viewpoint.

Not to be mean to players who enjoy quickplay, but it's a !@#$-show that runs nothing like the real game. It's very easy to see how you'd miss the significant gameplay problems if that is your main mode.

For game balance, IMO analyzing the occasional high-level play video should be good enough for our purposes.

That aside, there weren't a ton of them, you are right. Mercy 1.0 wasn't a must-pick in pro play. The complaint wasn't that Mercy was OP, but that she created very bad gameplay, because the entire match revolved around Mercy's resurrect and killing her.

I'd agree that hide and res was a bad dynamic, but in my opinion that bad dynamic was not due to game mechanics but due to other pressures that randomly evolve from play (the meta). My opinion was that a huge overhaul was not needed, and players needed to sort out and evolve gameplay on their own just as they have before (even without balance changes). What annoys me is not that I play a lot of Mercy but because Blizzard was primed to consume an inordinate amount of dev resources reacting to bad feedback. I can see this being a huge problem going forward and believe it will significantly damage Overwatch's brand and viewership over the next few years. I also hate that an elegantly designed character was taken to the butcher's block when just a few minor tweaks here and there would have made huge differences. Even adding Orisa and buffing Winston's shield (cooldown change) screwed Ana over so hard. I just don't like this sledgehammer approach to balance, even if the Mercy bunny hop thing (that came by pure accident ... is this really good balancing?) is a ton of fun for me.

Players discussing things casually often mix up balance and gameplay, but they are independent. This is explicitly what Blizzard said for the Mercy rework. It wasn't to nerf her, but to fix the gameplay issue of "hide and rez". And as much as you or others want to argue it wasn't actually problem, it happened in almost every competitive game, and people (who aren't Mercy mains) hated it.

Just to be clear, you're saying hide in res happened in almost every competitive game? Because I watch a good amount high level play vids, and I rarely ever saw the clean 4+ person resses from spawn that they were complaining about.

I personally don't like it either, because it leads to a lot of people whining. On the plus side, if I res four people into their second deaths, stagger and feed ult, and lose the game because they asked me to, they would always compliment me regardless.

My main points would be:

1. a total drastic rework was not necessary. They could experiment with adjusting the stats on res a bit, like putting a LOS requirement in and shortened range in exchange for some benefits (like immediate movement, letting D.va mech while Invuln, a burst heal for those that are alive, cooldown reductions, etc) We could have avoided months of pain for everyone if people just thought things through more.

2. Res 1.x was only part of the problem; how high-level players strategized caused self-inflicted pain. Pushing a Mercy "rework" as the magic bullet backfired exactly how I predicted it would. I even said they would be celebrating for a day or so at most before they realize the new Mercy is broken and would make the game less fun for EVERYONE. Mercy players hated it because it the new ult is boring, she punished good picks, forced flex players to play her, etc etc. All this for what?
Not OP as a whole because she had no mid fight at all but Rez was still one of the strongest abilities in game. Mercy 1.0 is basically very similar to Symettra in her current state as how her mid fight is severely lacking and requires her team to more or less die to get value from her main ult, however Mercy was still very popular and was played a lot.
Having a Mercy 1.0 on your team is like a Sym on your team, but Mercy was just way more likely.
02/02/2018 11:47 AMPosted by darkseid117

No. Mercy 1.0 needed the rework.

Resurrect is a controversial subject because there is no counter play. She was not reworked because a bunch of DPS mains cried about it. She was originally reworked because her ultimate encouraged "unintuitive" (at least according to Blizzard) behavior, and the fact that there was zero counter play to resurrect.

Genji uses dragonblade? Sleep dart him.
Reaper uses deathblossom? Defense matrix him.
McCree uses high noon? Mei wall in front of him.
Zarya uses graviton surge? Transcendence it.
Roadhog uses whole hog? Flashbang him.
D.va uses self destruct? Zarya bubble your teammate.
Lucio uses sound barrier? EMP everyone.
Mercy uses resurrect from spawn? Literally nothing you can do.

Overwatch is a game built on countering your opponent. Having an ability in the game with literally zero counterplay goes against the games design philosophy and should be removed -- which it has.

The rework is successful in that it adds some counterplay to resurrect -- it can be interrupted. The rework also succeeds in shifting Mercy's focus away from resurrect and more towards raw healing output.

Okay, so how about, instead of reworking Mercy into the Valkyrie monster that has driven the community crazy on all sides, Blizzard only needed to do one thing: KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

They already had plenty of ultimates with counterplay options. Look to them. Make Rez work like Deadeye's target system if you have to. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than going "you know this ultimate ability which is powerful and a lot of people hate? What if we made it freely available in a really effective way?"

The only things Mercy needed were tweaks to her ult (we didn't even get a chance to really see how the no-rez-from-spawn nerf would have worked out because it existed for about two weeks before we got the rework) and an E that gave her more utility or defensiveness so she could come closer to the fight without being a free target.