Fun Fact: Mercy 1.0 was Not OP

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next
02/02/2018 12:29 PMPosted by heyitskarley

Okay but you do realize that most McCree’s and Reaper’s hide before they ult, right?

That's called flanking, it's their job.
On the other hand, a healer's job is to heal.
02/02/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Estranhow
02/02/2018 12:29 PMPosted by heyitskarley

Okay but you do realize that most McCree’s and Reaper’s hide before they ult, right?

That's called flanking, it's their job.
On the other hand, a healer's job is to heal.

Arbitrary. No, they're DPS, they DPS.

Might as well call Mercy a "flank healer" then
<span class="truncated">...</span>Erm, no. You pressed Q and after 1 second, the Resurrect and associated invulnerability kicked in. If you'd actually bothered to play the old Mercy, you'd have known this.

I want you to watch this video very carefully and tell me there's a one second delay between the ult-meter draining to zero, and the silhouette of the Junkrats appearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSh2-Y4hVU8

But hey, I'm just a guy who played before the game officially released so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll ignore the bolded part for a bit and focus on the footage, instead: This is from a rather old version of Overwatch, where Mercy did not have invulnerability on Resurrect. Not sure what point you were trying to make, here.

It's basically you saying, "I've never played the game after launch, but I still know it better than you do"

[Edit]Removed a part about cast time, since it was there since the BETA and not introduced via a patch.[/Edit]
02/02/2018 12:38 PMPosted by Halofreak90
Erm, no. You pressed Q and after 1 second, the Resurrect and associated invulnerability kicked in. If you'd actually bothered to play the old Mercy, you'd have known this.

This is just straight up false. Resurrect was instant was Q was pressed.
Dude, look up the latest documentation for Ultimate Resurrect. It's right there. Any gameplay footage from between late June and the rework will back me up on this.

[Edit]Removed a part about cast time, since it was there since the BETA and not introduced via a patch.[/Edit]
Your character is not going to be reverted to the mindless, overpowered version she originally was at. Finally I'm capable of enjoying the character and having to think about when to rez rather than brainlessly holding left/right click until I need to press Q and automatically win a temafight.
02/03/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Kurapika
mindless, overpowered version she originally was at
Someone couldn't aim to kill the Mercy and blames the character for it.
02/03/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Kurapika
Your character is not going to be reverted to the mindless, overpowered version she originally was at. Finally I'm capable of enjoying the character and having to think about when to rez rather than brainlessly holding left/right click until I need to press Q and automatically win a temafight.

I am so tired of people like you.
The original Mercy was far from beeing overpowered she was considered a troll pick. How much pickrates did she has in high ranks ? Around 1% maybe...

The actual Mercy is actually the version you describe : hold down left click, ult, hold left click, repeat.
If you were a good Mercy player you were asking yourself when you can rez, now it's just "do i live if i press e ?" wow, so fun.

The "press Q" as you tell it, didn't win teamfights. If that ult was an automatic win then she would have like 90% + pickrate in pro play.
90% + pickrate ? It reminds me of something...

Because if you and your team cannot save any ultimate to wipe again the ennemy team after a mass rez, then you are guilty of beeing retarded as hell, and you just deserve to loose.

But of course, it's easier to just drop every ult in the Zarya's grav and then to complain that all your "hard work" had been undone.
Okay. Saying that Mercy 1.0 was underused is a huge lie. Maybe underused in pro play, but she has always had a extremely high pick rate. Nevertheless, she needs the revert to 1.0, I agree.
No the problem was not that she was Op or Up, it was because the play style surrounding mercy 1.0 (the hide and seek)

and for those not familiar it is were th mercy would play till she got her ult, in which case she would then go an hide out in a some cover away from their team letting them die and while letting the enemy exhaust their Ultimates
at which piont the mercy would flyin press one button and get a five man ressurection.
undoing any and effort put in by the enemy team and could flip entire fights with ease.

because of this focus fire on the mercy was neccesary creating this idea that supports just die and have little impact because every fight their in might as well have ended the moment the some manages to kill the others mercy.

it was frustrating for everyone involved especialy in lower ranks were people simply didn't have the skill or reflexes to stop mercy mid dash before she res.

Valk was designed to make her more mobile, and give her more survivability in the mid-fight all the while still have that impact of the rez when needed

so if you really wanted to go back to that kind of play style that 5 man rez or bust moments while dying in every other fight than be my guest
01/28/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Crestren
Lets not forget. She wasnt a mustpick either, and the ones who were mostly picked at the time before Mercy was either Lucio or Zenyatta and that she was close to an equal level with all the other supports.

And with her mass rez, she wasnt even meta to begin with.

Screenshot taken 5 months ago (I have the source material proving it was taken 5 months ago as well if you want to see it) before her rework, she was a must pick

http://i.imgur.com/mMmDgPj.png
02/02/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Slyther0829
But nowadays she stays with her team till the end. There is no hiding at all (no, using a wall for cover while you res with the cast time does not count as hiding, you are still telling both teams exactly where you are)..

Yeah, RIGHT. Teammate dies near enemy team, am I gonna rez him? Nope...

Teammate dies away from enemies, or there is a wall next to him I can hide behind so I am not standing still for almost two seconds (becoming instant Sniper Bait), am I gonna rez so they can get back into the fight? Yes

Oh wait, I just pulled a hide and rez, difference being in 1.0 I could rez 2-5 people but now I can only rez 1 IF a Reaper or other DPS doesn't come around corner and take me out.

Your argument is invalid.
revert everything but the 5 rez
Oh well it is what it is now so you have 3 options

Play mercy

Player another hero other than mercy

Quit
Mercy Is Balanced and Viable now.
Opinions are different from Facts ya'know
02/10/2018 10:25 PMPosted by SirRender
And when statistics come into play? There is irrefutable evidence for the claim.

While she wasn't unused, she wasn't exactly a massive part of the meta, either. She was in a much better spot pre-rework than she is now.

Can you prove why she isn't balanced and viable compared to the other healers?

She has the best sustainability a healer can ever want in a teamfight
She has more consistent Heal/Second than 3/4 other healers.
She has basically the most overpowered ability in the game, next to hack. (which both can be canceled for a reason. AND IF THEY DIDNT HAVE THAT FLAW IT WOULD BE OVERPOWERED.)
She has the best possible escape anyone can ask for, and if she could not escape, is because she needs her team to win because its a team game, not a "Hey let me rez team and basically win the game"
She can sustain her teammates longer in teamfights due to her new ability.

Try going Tank in the meta and you will see the difference when you don't have a mercy.

Then try having a mercy in a game and see how much the team sustains in a team fight due to valk.

Also one last thing Balance doesnt necessarily mean having fun. Why would you care about balance if you want to have fun?? If you don't care about an EVEN PLAYING FIELD go play TF2.
02/02/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Lights
01/28/2018 07:19 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT

Objectively wrong.

Many Mercy players let their team die to get value out of their ult.

Even if you make the argument that "It was only bad Mercy players that did this" it still doesn't change the fact that mechanically a mass rez is unhealthy for the game.

Correction: Teammates flamed their Mercy to go hide so they could ult. Ergo, it was really OTHER people, not Mercy players themselves, enforcing bad playing behaviors.

Pro Player xQc flaming Mercy Main for NOT hiding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZykeYW3M2fI

Quite literally, when the Pro Players are telling their Mercy players to hide so they can die on point was the start of this. Then when asked that Loaded question from ING, which player they would remove if they could go back in time, the majority (9 out of 10 asked) of answers were in line of, “So if I could go back in time and secretly remove a hero, it would be Mercy because I think Resurrection in a first-person shooter game like Overwatch, it’s not fun to spectate. It’s not fun to play with. It’s not fun to play against, especially.”
So is Mercy Good with Rez or Bad with Rez? Seems like if it is on their team, Mercy was GREAT if she went and hid while they died. If the other team got a Huge Rez and they have used up all their ults but missed the enemy Mercy it was OP and not fun top play against.
02/10/2018 10:28 PMPosted by WhateverAlex
And when statistics come into play? There is irrefutable evidence for the claim.

While she wasn't unused, she wasn't exactly a massive part of the meta, either. She was in a much better spot pre-rework than she is now.

Statistics don't see where the community is at the time, most of the statistics point to when everyone was all over the place , aka season 1 and 2, when no one wanted to play mercy because everyone was still figuring stuff out of the game, season 3 came by, that was when ana was released and extremely overpowered with 3 tanks, at the time, rez didn't matter because of ana + dva could just sustain without other resources.

Season 4 was also more of ana and tanks, but instead soldier was added into the mix, then i do believe later, ana nerf and dva nerf (?) meta became mudded and people started to search for something new

Season 5 is where mercy took off completely because everyone figured her out as "the hero which can be carried while rezing an entire team without a problem" sort of thing, aka where the "Mercy Mains" stuff took a bigger popularity

then the mercy business came along...

Statistics are only really useful if you apply where everyone was at the time, or else you would get false implications on why certain things were high or low. People didn't pick mercy because she wasn't good before, people didn't pick her because there were more overpowered options at the time, things that were towering over all heroes by a long shot.
Mercy 1.0 was very strong
Valkyrie 1.0 was OP