Fun Fact: Mercy 1.0 was Not OP

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 Next
02/03/2018 02:04 PMPosted by Dexrazor
01/28/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Crestren
Lets not forget. She wasnt a mustpick either, and the ones who were mostly picked at the time before Mercy was either Lucio or Zenyatta and that she was close to an equal level with all the other supports.

And with her mass rez, she wasnt even meta to begin with.

Screenshot taken 5 months ago (I have the source material proving it was taken 5 months ago as well if you want to see it) before her rework, she was a must pick

http://i.imgur.com/mMmDgPj.png

Are you citing her popularity with her being a must pick? Mercy has a big fan base because they love playing her. Another thing you fail to point out was how reliable of a solo healer she was since you know, OTHERS DON'T !@#$ING SWITCH TO HEAL. Look at %^-*ing ANA WR, literally trash. You expect someone to pick a Zen all the time when 90% of the time they will be solo healing?
01/28/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Fireboy769
No no no

She WAS OP but not in the way you think

SR gains with a Huge Rez were.....huge. You ended up having a bunch of Mercy one-trick in high-tiers like Diamond not knowing how to play anyone else at that skill level except Mercy.

Not only was this resolved for Diamond and above. There are other ways to fix a character other than completely reworking for the sake of SR.
Negating team wipes is F-tier? LUL

By the way, she already had more abilities than other heroes. She has a normal weapon, healing beam, damage boost beam (yes, those are two separate abilities), passive self healing, slow fall/glide on space, guardian angel, mass rez. Adding yet another on top of that because Mercy players were greedy to have it all would've been ludicrous.

Get over yourselves, Mercy mains. Be happy that you still have your insanely broken, infinite-hide-behind-your-teammates-like-a-coward mobility and your stupid-mistakes-insurance single res on a relatively short cd for what it does (especially in arcade modes where it's even more infuriating to deal with). Wait until you see the full effect of the changes before you have an aneurysm.
this post preaches the truth

say it with me kids

#RevertMercy
Naw, they reworked her because she felt "Unfun" to play against. No stats or metrics to show just how viable she was, just that she was "unfun".
01/28/2018 07:19 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
01/28/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Zwei
Except you DON'T let your team die, they die on their own due to you not being able to sustain them with your measly 60 HPS VS ults that deal double or even triple that damage.

Objectively wrong.

Many Mercy players let their team die to get value out of their ult.

Even if you make the argument that "It was only bad Mercy players that did this" it still doesn't change the fact that mechanically a mass rez is unhealthy for the game.

Objectively wrong. They were playing badly or going for a Hail Mary.
02/11/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Widget
Naw, they reworked her because she felt "Unfun" to play against. No stats or metrics to show just how viable she was, just that she was "unfun".

I think genji is unfun to play against so maybe they should rework him too against his player base then nerf him month after month changing how he is for his players to try and adapt

Remove his dragon blade because no player finds it fun to play against

your logic is by far flawed

how mature
Yep, she was just really unfun to play against unless she was on your team.
lemme copy pasta one of my posts on the mega thread
02/10/2018 05:16 AMPosted by Nerfy
they did admit in their first developper update when the changes came out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlCqJ1tD3M

"mercy is one of the top played characters in overwatch ALMOST SECOND TO NONE"
yet they wont listen to the mercy player community and only listen to the "pros" though the mercy player community is the biggest bunch of their players by far especially back then when she wasnt a must pick and balanced

let me remind everyone that those pros tested the mercy in ptr and were like "oh she's balanced now" though she actually turned out to be the most OP character reworked we've ever seen so far breaking the game.
so those pros were wrong unlike the casual player base.

they came up with some flawed excuse that was proven wrong by some simple arguments : mercy hides and reses , not fun to play against.

but why are their arguments for rework wrong?

here's why , there were mercy players who abused the system by hiding for the majority of the game after getting their ult then resing

though if a mercy does that she makes the fight 5v6 and you'll lose the fight anyway so you gain no advantage and you purposely feed the enemies ults but that mercy ends up with better stats cos of the abuseable SR system , she is able to climb with negative winrate which makes no sense

anyway to THE GOOD MERCY PLAYERS

a good mercy would sustain her team UNTIL they no longer can be sustained

imagine you're the mercy , you're healing and stuff and you KNOW the enemy team has earthshatter because you HAVE GAME SENSE , YOU KNOW when the enemy team has grav BECAUSE YOU HAVE GAME SENSE , you KNOW when the enemy genji has blade BECAUSE YOU HAVE GAME SENSE

You AVOID THOSE ULTIMATES because you have game sense
that doesn't mean you'll stop healing and hide as soon as you have ult
You sustain your team and when your team gets caught in a grav YOU STOP HEALING FOR AROUND 3 -4 SECONDS then res , because if you heal during those few seconds you give up your good position and you're easy to kill

its the same thing with reaper, he teleports up on high ground and STOPS SHOOTING FOR AROUND 3 SECONDS then ULTS to get that juicy ULT

same with soldier : HE HIDES AND GOES BEHIND ENEMY LINES THEN ULTS SUPPORTS , he doesnt hide as soon as he gets ults , he stops doing damage when he wants to get in a good position for an ult

SAME WITH PHARAH , what pharah does is be SNEAKY fly through a flank THEN ULTS THE BACKLINE , she tries to fly with no sound made

SOMBRA GOES INVISIBLE : hides then ULTS meaning she wont be shooting for 3-4 seconds

THAT IS WHAT A GOOD MERCY WOULD DO because SHE HAS THE GAME SENSE TO KNOW WHEN TO ULT, not go in hiding for over 30 seconds which is a misunderstanding

BUT NERFY?? EVERY HERO REQUIRES GAME SENSE!
well if everyone had the game sense good mercy mains do , they'd know exactly what ults are the enemy team are going to use and the EXACT MOMENT the enemy team is going to use them

So they WOULD KNOW exactly when mercy is going to ult and res people and save their ults to counter it instead of blowing it on 5v6 against a bad mercy player. THEY WOULD KNOW EXACTLY where to position themselves to catch that mercy as she tries to walk to res her team.

the problem was never mercy , the problem is bad mercy players with negative win rates were rewarded by abuseable SR SYSTEM
if the changes to comp were introduced before the rework , we wouldn't be standing here because that would fix many problems.

BUT NERFY! MERCY RESING HER TEAM IS TOO OP AND WILL ALWAYS WIN THEM THE FIGHT!

No hiding and resing was a bad not viable strategy
I can give you examples of how a 3+ man res after you're hiding for 90% of the time would be useless just by searching clips on youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP7eKll5Glo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQG3utPY0go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45RDEQQ4RXM 16:01 time stamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFCv-rN5YYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG8Zu9fpm_E

and I can give you examples of how a one man tompo res ult wins a game by searching up examples on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wleGFvfruQw
4:38 , the rein res for sheild got them the point as he stopped the soldier ult
2:44 , double res thats not greedy but gives advantage and he wasnt hiding ,
16:40.

if you watch the whole thing , he's tempo resing a lot and not hiding and he was the top mercy player on 3 accounts in season 4.

Mindblowing right?

as you can see in all those clips the team got wiped instantly after because the mercy left the fight making it 5v6 and the enemy team saved an ult for when she resed.
mercy players who did this and didn't heal properly and just hide only abused the SR SYSTEM which was broken and made them climb though it did nothing but put down the team. that's why you saw negative 40% winrate bad mercies at masters.

Yet in other cases one or two man reses won the fight because they gave real advantage.

RES AS AN ULT holds so much decision making and hiding with it resulted in what I've shown before. its the SR system's fault and the fault of players with no game sense

and to those saying she was "unfun" to play against , so are half of the heroes in the game

I for one sure find it "unfun" getting randomly headshotted by a hanzo who was aiming at someone else

I hated how op junkrat's tire is but I dealt with it and dont come on the forums crying about it
02/11/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Widget

I’d say most of the support cast finds Tracer/Genji unfun to play against. Tracer kills most supports practically instantly, or she’s feeling bored and you just get stuck with a pulse and wait to die. Or have Genji double jumping on your head spamming shurikens, then deflects if anyone tries to help and you cop a bunch of projectiles (then dashes/double jumps/wall climbs away). Or he just dashes at you, ults, dash, slash dash slash dash jump FUN GAME
Referring to the first post.
Reason for her rework was not that she was considered OP,
but because the Devs felt, her gameplay around her hide-for-5-man-rezz did not feel great.
And even after her recent nerf, she's still not "bad".
She will probably drop out of highest-level play meta, but I see no reason why she would be not viable and decent up to masters tier.
She's still a strong healer with a strong team-fight deciding ultimate.
But now she's no longer as unkillable as she used to be and does need half a brain to use her rezz.
02/11/2018 12:42 AMPosted by Shabazza
Referring to the first post.
Reason for her rework was not that she was considered OP,
but because the Devs felt, her gameplay around her hide-for-5-man-rezz did not feel great.
And even after her recent nerf, she's still not "bad".
She will probably drop out of highest-level play meta, but I see no reason why she would be not viable and decent up to masters tier.
She's still a strong healer with a strong team-fight deciding ultimate.
But now she's no longer as unkillable as she used to be and does need half a brain to use her rezz.

you cant blame mercy players for being mad though can you

your character got reworked when no one wanted it , when they could've just settled with a nerf

then your character became the most op in the game when even the mercy players didnt want it

then she went through a phase of getting changed every week

then every month

we expected a nerf yes but we ended up with a bandaid version that focuses her ult on her E , when we prefer having an impactful defensive ult like zen or lucio

oc you'd be mad after a while , her kit is flawed and goes against the flow of her very fast paced movement , you waste around 4 seconds+ to fly in , res someone , fly out to heal someone else which feels weird

not saying that her current form is weak , but we prefer the old one and I dont see why they wouldnt listen to her player base if its the easiest version to balance .

lemme remind you ana even was A tier and mercy was F tier

ana got nerfed bad

then we had zen+lucio comps for some reason

then lucio got reworked to be less effective

if they introduced moira back then , fixed SR system and buffed ana's survivability , we'd be in such an amazing support balance between each other we've never seen before , it'll enable all kinds of composition

now all we have is moira with triple the pickrate of both of them and everyone's crying about it already though she's a perfectly balanced hero
02/11/2018 12:41 AMPosted by Nerfy
and to those saying she was "unfun" to play against , so are half of the heroes in the game

I for one sure find it "unfun" getting randomly headshotted by a hanzo who was aiming at someone else

I hated how op junkrat's tire is but I dealt with it and dont come on the forums crying about it
Just because one shots are unfun doesn't mean resurrect wasn't unfun too.
02/11/2018 12:49 AMPosted by Selauriel
02/11/2018 12:41 AMPosted by Nerfy

Just because one shots are unfun doesn't mean resurrect wasn't unfun too.

I'm just saying your logic is flawed , many "unfun" things to play against in the game but we should deal with it .

the complaints just caused in a rework that made mercy's playerbase suffer for 5 months plus and end up with a hero that's flawed in their kit which isnt fun for the players who play her

by your logic anything you dont find fun to play against you'd ask the devs to remove

let me remind you back then mercy as Jeff kaplan said was by far the most played hero. Because people liked her gameplay and she wasnt a must pick either. the mercy player community was and is the biggest in the game yet they go against what their biggest bunch of players want because they didnt want to fix the SR system abuse and the minority was influenced by children such as XQC really. they'd listen to a streamer then watch a stylosa overexagerating about it then go cry on reddit
She was. but i do agree with your idea of the new mercy. i want blizzard to just dont touch mercy , until they have found a idea of what they want to do.
#RevertMercy
02/11/2018 12:38 AMPosted by Selauriel

If she was on your team, you shouldn't have been playing against her T_T

#RevertMercy
I don't even main mercy

#RevertMercy
02/11/2018 12:38 AMPosted by Selauriel

It is really unfun to be caught in a Graviton, but it is so much fun to just shoot into it as any hero.

It is really unfun to be hacked by EMP, but it's fun to just kill the helpless mobility heroes.

It is really unfun to fight against a team which is pretty much invulnerable because of Transcendence but still can shoot at you, but it feels good to run in with it.

It is really unfun to fight against any DPS Ult, but they feel good to use.

Mass res had the same balance of being fun to use and being unfun to play against and a good ability in a game like Overwatch has to be that way.

It is one of the most flawed arguments. Especially if we consider the fact that her new "Ult" is no fun for everyone.
oh wow, another salty mercy onetrick crying on the forums