Thank you for reigniting 'one-trick is reportable'

General Discussion
Playing only one charatcer in a game designed around switching to counter, refusing to switch to work with your team in a team game. Yeah, I can see why it should be reportable.

If you don't want to play more than one character and be cooperative with your team, then this isn't the game for you. One tricks are detrimental to whoever's team they're on. They can't play any other character, it goes against everything this game was design around. It should be reportable.
He didn't say it wasn't a reportable offense. In the video, you can tell he's against one tricks. And said that Overwatch is about playing multiple hero's.

And throwing and one tricking aren't too far off. The people playing know that what they are doing people aren't happy with. And if you don't play as a team. Well that is a reportable offense.
01/29/2018 11:13 AMPosted by LilD
Playing only one charatcer in a game designed around switching to counter, refusing to switch to work with your team in a team game. Yeah, I can see why it should be reportable.

If you don't want to play more than one character and be cooperative with your team, then this isn't the game for you. One tricks are detrimental to whoever's team they're on. They can't play any other character, it goes against everything this game was design around. It should be reportable.

Except for the paragraph attached to the report category that says you shouldn't report for hero selection.
The way I see it is if you're a one trick but you are trying hard to win, I don't care. One trick all you want, just don't throw yourself off the map repeatedly/purposely feed.

Have fun playing who you want, and I'll be beside you.
01/29/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Cire
I have no problem with people playing Torb or Sym. But it is a problem when they're not in voice chat and we're in team chat trying to talk to them nicely. Sure I get that they probably get flamed a lot if they join voice, but they won't be able to hear important callouts that the team makes and it's honestly just poor team work. Just because Overwatch is a team game doesn't mean we have to adjust to one person's specific playstyle or hero roster. Everybody has to work together as a TEAM.

So you have a problem with people who'd rather not be insulted if they can help it?
01/29/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Kris
01/29/2018 08:25 AMPosted by Eggcelsior
I love how they try to spin it like it’s not an “we hate off metas” thing

Which is confounding because you would think they would actually want all 26 heroes to be played. You know, actual hero diversity not 10 heroes being used in 90% of all matches.
They clearly don't care about hero diversity at this point, right now (until they prove otherwise) they want to create a safe environment for Genji and Tracer because they're apparently the fun-to-watch moneymaker whilst at the same time pushing a dive meta because they perceive it to be fun and exciting (because it's really exciting to see mirror matches of the same 10 heroes every match isn't it?).
They either don't care about hero diversity or straight up don't want to cater to anyone other than the pros, judging by the current "everything is fine, shut up" attitude that we've seen in forum posts and dev updates i'm more than willing to assume it's the latter.
I love the I expect you to switch if you are being hardcountered because it's usually from people who wouldn't switch if they were being hardcountered.

Like the game I watched where Soldier 76 was being wiped hard by the other Mcree. That 76 never switched and instead just complained that his team was horrible, that guys was cheating, etc. Even after the Tracer on his team got fed up and switched to Mei and did a beautiful job of ice blocking that McCree any chance they got. Guess who got told they got reported at the end of the match? Sure wasn't that hard countered 76.
01/29/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Miraude
I love the I expect you to switch if you are being hardcountered because it's usually from people who wouldn't switch if they were being hardcountered.

Like the game I watched where Soldier 76 was being wiped hard by the other Mcree. That 76 never switched and instead just complained that his team was horrible, that guys was cheating, etc. Even after the Tracer on his team got fed up and switched to Mei and did a beautiful job of ice blocking that McCree any chance they got. Guess who got told they got reported at the end of the match? Sure wasn't that hard countered 76.
This exactly, it's never the Genji OTP who gets reported, or the McRee OTP or the Mercy OTP or the Tracer OTP, they're all playing the "good" heroes, it's always that one guy who happens to enjoy playing a hero that isn't quite as good or acceptable as the main 10.
01/29/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Kris
having their games held hostage,

As somebody that flexes quite a bit all I can say is welcome to the club pal. Sorry for ruining YOUR games and we'll make sure to play in a way that we're considerate of what YOU want to do instead of holding YOUR games hostage by being SO SELFISH.
The problem is that double-standard that is in place. By encouraging "flexing" and saying that "playing one hero exclusively can put your play experience and that of your teammates in jeopardy", you basically throw all the non-meta heroes under the bus, and to the OPPOSITE effect that you intend.

Let me just put it in as simple terms as possible: "If you are a person who is flexible in their hero choice. You simply do not pick the off-meta heroes. Ever." The only way a team ever does work with an off meta pick, is when the person picking the off-meta hero does so as an ultimatum: "You play with me as this hero, or you play on a team without me on it." It actually props up one-tricking as the only viable method to playing off-meta heroes in the situations you want to try playing them in.

I play competitive specifically to flex. Yet I still got the most total playtime as Symmetra. I've played her enough to know how to play her on attack, when to play her on attack, and how to win with her on attack. You're free to not believe me, or deny all my experience on the matter as 100% irrelevant, because this is all done on QuickPlay. Even when I hit the holy grail of solo-queue, where you find that ONE match where everyone talks and your heroes/decisions synergize and the whole thing groks SO well, that you group up at that moment to go win a few more matches, the closest I ever GET to daring to play Sym outside her established niche is when someone brings her up while idly chatting in the spawn room. I'll usually chime in with a "Well, personally, I think Symmetra can play great on attack, given the right situation or opportunity." often immediately followed up with a "don't worry guys, I would never try to put you guys in that kind of situation"

Like I don't quite know where I was going with this. I reckon that I just wish the game would take an approach to one-tricking that is less about directly punishing the players who one-trick. Instead maybe shift to an approach where flex players are more rewarded.
For instance: When someone who has a wide pool of heroes in their playtime roster goes all-in on that attack torb, instead of saying "Hey, I see you play a lot of other heroes, why not swap to this guy I personally think works better here." they instead say "Wow, out of all these heroes you regularly play, you decide this weird pick is actually best for us? I'm not at all sure how it will work out, but I guess I'll try playing around it, because it could still be fun to discover why." You know, assume they want to win enough to swap off it at the right time without you having to tell them such.
OW has said at every opportunity that hero selection is never reportable or a violation.

Hero picking aside there are often issues surrounding one tricks that end up being reported. For example a very particular high ranked symm main was reported for being abusive and then claimed he was banned for one tricking. In reality the video evidence clearly showed him being abusive in response to another person complaining about the symm. If that one trick has simply handled it better they would never have been 3 day banned or whatever it was, it wasn't a perma ban.

It is misinformation like this that has caused people to think it is reportable, and it literally goes against all information direct from blizzard including the reporting guidnance they show when you report it. Right before they can report a person for one tricking is a message saying that bad teamwork is NOT "picking a hero that is not considered optimal by the community".
this is our game and we demand to play any hero we want and don't get banned for it .

buff low tier heroes !!

at least try it .
01/29/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Xtracrizby
You do realized that the ban also can be reversed as there are cases of that happening right?

This is certainly telling me what personality and behavior certain members are.
Yeah after going through a dozen or so supports telling you to screw off
Jeff never stated its a reportable offense, they just dont encourage it, which are 2 entirely different things. If someone threatens to falsely report me just for my hero pick, i will counter report for griefing and abusive chat.
12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player, and inaccurate reports make it more difficult for us to appropriately action the players who DO disrupt the game. We’re continuing to make improvements to our reporting system (which includes, but certainly isn’t limited to making our false report detection more robust), and we will continue to pay close attention to players who are at high risk of being falsely reported and taking appropriate actions to prevent it.
First time they said that one-tricking wasn't a reportable offense they still said that people who did it were in the wrong, this recent DEV update just builds on that clarifying it further. The actual impressive thing is that one-tricking is actually described as something that ruins the enjoyment of the game, yet it's still allowed.
01/29/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Avian
First time they said that one-tricking wasn't a reportable offense they still said that people who did it were in the wrong, this recent DEV update just builds on that clarifying it further. The actual impressive thing is that one-tricking is actually described as something that ruins the enjoyment of the game, yet it's still allowed.
It’s pretty much entrapment
The bottom line is Blizzard is completely out of touch with completive play , They have no clue what the hell goes on in competitive play out side of OWL ,Devs need to wake and spend more time watching the low SR players play and watch the real struggles that we all suffer . Watch us get stuck with 3 stacks that auto pick dps and don't use coms , Watch that auto pick Genji in gold sr that dies before every fight that wont switch . You wana OT go for it hell please do imo . I would rather have OT sym or torb over a Hanzo that cant aim or a genji who cant stay alive .
01/29/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Player
It only took a year for you to specify that OTing, specifically off meta OTing is not a reportable offence. And now thanks to your latest dev updates, although Mr. Jeff said it might put YOU at disadvantage, because people have confirmation bias, everyone again has assumed its reportable offence.

Look here & r/ow and specifically r/cow, pitchforks are out hurling abuses and reports towards off meta players. Specifically look at the clip from effects stream, leaving game is his decision, everyone has been given certain limit to which we can do it and that's okay. But go to those threads and read the comments cursing symmetra player.

Explain to me, what is that players fault? That he want to play his/her fav character? To users, our, beloved devs has said that OTing put the OTing player (NOT REPORTABLE) at disadvantage and it's not ideal (NOT REPORTABLE).

Thank you again, for starting this witch hunting. At this point, you could just grey out the characters which are not dive, because the situation which you refer to are so rare and even their flankers enjoy advantage that, playing anything else will continue this bs.

It sounds like you're grabbing your own pitchfork. It has been stated repeatedly that "off-meta" is not a reportable offense. That said, people are going to report for whatever reason they feel like.

If someone is reporting you for off-meta then report them for harassment/chat abuse/false reporting. At the same time, don't let yourself get baited into a reportable offense.
It's not realistic to enforce one tricking bans etc. Slippery slope and all that.

Nothing has changed, it has always been discouraged, and it's technically not a reportable/bannable offense.

The majority it would seem of the competitive community does not like one tricks. Their reasons for that are understandable.

The arguments defending one tricking in competitive are all very poor tbh and completely fall apart when there are two one tricks of the same hero on the same team.

This is all just par for the course. Been this way for ages.
01/29/2018 12:22 PMPosted by Ultaholic
01/29/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Player
It only took a year for you to specify that OTing, specifically off meta OTing is not a reportable offence. And now thanks to your latest dev updates, although Mr. Jeff said it might put YOU at disadvantage, because people have confirmation bias, everyone again has assumed its reportable offence.

Look here & r/ow and specifically r/cow, pitchforks are out hurling abuses and reports towards off meta players. Specifically look at the clip from effects stream, leaving game is his decision, everyone has been given certain limit to which we can do it and that's okay. But go to those threads and read the comments cursing symmetra player.

Explain to me, what is that players fault? That he want to play his/her fav character? To users, our, beloved devs has said that OTing put the OTing player (NOT REPORTABLE) at disadvantage and it's not ideal (NOT REPORTABLE).

Thank you again, for starting this witch hunting. At this point, you could just grey out the characters which are not dive, because the situation which you refer to are so rare and even their flankers enjoy advantage that, playing anything else will continue this bs.

It sounds like you're grabbing your own pitchfork. It has been stated repeatedly that "off-meta" is not a reportable offense. That said, people are going to report for whatever reason they feel like.

If someone is reporting you for off-meta then report them for harassment/chat abuse/false reporting. At the same time, don't let yourself get baited into a reportable offense.
And yet we have people being suspended and being told “lol stop playing Sym and Torb loser” by the supports