Jeff makes a post about onetricks

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
So Effect, the Dallas Fuel player that recently ragequit games over onetricks ruining his practice, wrote an open letter to Jeff about the state of competitive and Jeff responded.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/7tph0t/effect_pens_a_letter_to_jeff_kaplan/dtfwavi/

Blizz_JeffKaplan 461 points 2 hours ago
Dear Effect,

I love watching you play! You are so incredibly talented. I'm very aware of the frustration you are facing and the issues that you talk about are part of our daily discussions.

"Fixing the one trick issue" is extremely complicated for a lot of different reasons. There is a spirit, freedom and creativity to the game that we are eager to protect. But I also believe that (especially at your level of play) other players can cause a detrimental experience.

I don't have immediate solutions to your problem that don't drastically change the face of Overwatch. But I do want you to know that we care and that we are very engaged in brainstorming solutions.

Changes will not happen fast on this subject. But with that said, we have placed urgency on ourselves to make a change. For example, one thing we are examining now is all of the reasons players do not want to group with each other when they play (and there currently are a lot -- some real and some perceived). I wish there was a world where OW players felt like they could play with who they want. This would be an immediate solve to the problem but we are a long way from achieving such a state.

In any event, please know that I hear your frustration. We'll do our best to make OW better not only for pros like you, but for everyone who faces similar challenges.

All the best,

jeffrey + ow team
Highly Rated
one tricks are a problem tho
Highly Rated
-some form of role Q system
-a guild system for the game
-fixing the problems of off-meta heroes.

just some solutions from the top of my head .

all of them could be implemented
Highly Rated
Players "do not want to group" when they play, Jeff? The game is about 2 years old and still has no looking for group system, no clan system, and not even a "looking for group/friends" section of the forum. Maybe implement 1-3 of those things before you assume we just "don't want" to group.

Reality: they don't want to implement any of those things because all the one tricks would be left solo queuing into games full of 12 of them.
01/29/2018 07:54 PMPosted by SireSombre
one tricks are a problem tho

12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen

We believe players can choose to play any available hero during any game at any time, and that their choice of hero alone is not a behavior that should be penalized by our customer service team under any of the player report categories (including griefing, inactivity, or poor teamwork).

12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen
We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

01/29/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Superbunny
Players "do not want to group" when they play, Jeff? The game is about 2 years old and still has no looking for group system, no clan system, and not even a "looking for group/friends" section of the forum. Maybe implement 1-3 of those things before you assume we just "don't want" to group.

I took a totally different meaning from that section he wrote. I didn't see that as a statement about pre-made grouping at all. I read that as, sometimes players don't want to play with each other for various reasons such as, they don't use voice, they don't communicate, they don't pick things that the team thinks they should pick, etc.
those genji mains that only one trick, so sad.
One-trick here, trying to constructively find a solution to the problem.

On my side, I've found a hero that I really enjoy playing. 60% of my Overwatch hours are on a different account where I've played all the heroes, and I just really don't have fun with them. Within the span of my day, I can't really justify spending my time playing a "game" (which has the sole purpose of delivering fun) when I don't find it fun.

On the flip side, I completely recognize that my hero choice is often suboptimal, and I frustrate many allies by inducing loses via being suboptimal, or tilting the team.

I wouldn't be upset if Blizzard made one-tricking bannable... I guess I'd just find something else to do with my time; it's not a big deal. However, in the spirit of co-operation, what solutions could work for both of us?

If there are any constructive or curious questions, I'll answer.
01/29/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Froilen

Also "Avoid Player" making a return would work.

You'd have to tweak it slightly, make it so it only avoids placing people on YOUR team not the enemy team, so it can be used purely for avoiding people detrimental to your experience, i.e. OTP's, Throwers, Trolls, Flamers, etc, without being used to dodge people more skilled than you (like it used to be).
<Removed by forum moderator for toxicity>

I swear its not from the top of your head. Almost every youtuber and forums post is about these 3 things.
Effect is more toxic than one-tricks and WAS a one-trick, though.
Highly Rated
Lol EFFECT one-tricked Tracer to the top spot and in recent months started to flex to other hitscans. Now he is calling out One-Tricks. Hypocrite.
This is, and always will be, an awful idea. For many reasons. Not least that it will actually promote one-tricking, not solve it.
01/29/2018 08:12 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
Lol EFFECT one-tricked Tracer to the top spot and in recent months started to flex to other hitscans. Now he is calling out One-Tricks. Hypocrite.
He was required to main tracer by the teams he has played on, so naturally because he focuses a lot on practicing, he mainly played tracer. yet has always been capable of flexing to other heros, like Genji, zarya, hitscan hero's, DF.
Its not hard.

Give us back Avoid Player as Teammate.

If people find they are being avoided, they can change how they play.
Highly Rated
01/29/2018 08:12 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA

Remember kids, One-tricking is only a problem when a Symmetra or other off-meta hero does it!

If you one-trick Tracer, that's how you get into the OWL.
That's a feel good moment.

The response to effect was safely worded, but reflected an intent and desire that was honest enough. Objectively, it reflects well the complexity of one tricking and so on and so forth.

And effect, gawd damn man... That guy is SO full of passion, striving towards that pursuit of excellence, his work ethic, etc, is amazing. And, from what I have seen, and I've followed him for a while but not like religiously or anything, he will always be the first to blame himself. He works SO HARD to always be able to provide 110% of himself to HIS TEAM. To make things EASIER for them, to ENABLE THEM, to be their best. And I think anyone that has followed effect, or envyus, or dallas fuel now, to any degree realizes that.

Frustration is natural. It's unlucky. Especially when you focus so hard and feel so passionately, to have these uncontrollable circumstances objectively harm your ability to practice or address what you want to focus on.... It's tough...

When you focus on yourself, and improving yourself and your play, as we all should, you have to continually seek out circumstances that challenge yourself to evolve. When you're effect, legit God tier Tracer, you don't get much opportunity for that.

The one tricking is frustrating, but, it is their right to one trick in a sense. It's hard to really with integrity condemn one tricking without running down this path of role Q, bullying people into meta picks, etc, etc.

One tricking is a VERY NARROWED and VERY SELFISH way of approaching the competitive mode of this game. Effect is known for his Tracer, but he can play many roles. Hell, some of my favorite times watching streams has been watching AimbotCalvin go flankzenyatta and just rekt kids. Is he playing Zenyatta "appropriately" or "ideally" ??? Where do you draw the line.

That said... One tricks should not be seen as martyrs or some selfless/innocent people. Their entire approach to this game is reliant on their ability to avoid people like themselves. If they forever encounter someone exactly like them with a faster computer, they wouldn't be able to one trick. Imo, everyone should try to emulate or be someone that they'd like to see on their own team. When we want to play this game, we should want openly accept and appreciate someone like ourselves on our team.

When you must avoid every reflection of yourself in order to maintain your way of playing the game, you CLEARLY have things to address. Just saying.
The point of the game is to have fun. Forcing people to play heroes that they don’t find fun defeats the whole purpose of the game. Why should they play overwatch at all if they aren’t having fun playing the hero they like to play. Also competive is the only game mode of its kind. And the only way to earn golden guns. I like gold guns and I don’t like arcade. And quickplay isn’t the same. So I can see why one tricks would want to play competitive. If you want a specific comp make friends, add them, and fill what you want.
01/29/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Widowmaker
I wouldn't be upset if Blizzard made one-tricking bannable... I guess I'd just find something else to do with my time; it's not a big deal. However, in the spirit of co-operation, what solutions could work for both of us?

One trick widow? Why don't you go play any other fps. Widow is just an ordinary sniper.

01/29/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Widowmaker
On the flip side, I completely recognize that my hero choice is often suboptimal, and I frustrate many allies by inducing loses via being suboptimal, or tilting the team.

So basically: "I'm ruinning my team mates game experience and don't care, but hey, i'm having fun"
Very nice of you. Thank you.