Should Roadhog be a main tank or close?

General Discussion
I see a lot of players favor Roadhog more than other tanks. I'll admit he is a fun tank to play, but with casualties as well. Since this big guy is fierce and dangerous when you least expect it. Do you think he should bring some benefits to the group than just be a hook, drink and rub my belly type of tank?

The only suggestion I can come up with right now is that whenever he drinks to recover his hp. Any hero within his radius I suppose 20m will gain his reduce damage taken benefit for that duration. That means players can advance with him taking the offense while taking reduce damage or protecting him.

Nay or Yay?
nah, man, Hog's kit isn't really built around being a main tank or really even a whole lot of team play aside from dragging some poor dope in for your team to shred. His biggest method of mitigating damage is drawing aggro and making people dead.
01/13/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Fen9913
I see a lot of players favor Roadhog more than other tanks. I'll admit he is a fun tank to play, but with casualties as well. Since this big guy is fierce and dangerous when you least expect it. Do you think he should bring some benefits to the group than just be a hook, drink and rub my belly type of tank?

The only suggestion I can come up with right now is that whenever he drinks to recover his hp. Any hero within his radius I suppose 20m will gain his reduce damage taken benefit for that duration. That means players can advance with him taking the offense while taking reduce damage or protecting him.

Nay or Yay?
he doesn't have a shield therefore doesn't protect anyone he's fine right now. He can get picks and create space for the team with his presence
He should not be a main tank, and that is exactly what's fun and unique about him.
01/13/2018 09:19 PMPosted by RFY0329
he doesn't have a shield therefore doesn't protect anyone he's fine right now. He can get picks and create space for the team with his presence

That why I suggested a aura type of buff. He's still himself, but he brings a buff with whenever he drinks.
01/13/2018 09:24 PMPosted by Fen9913
01/13/2018 09:19 PMPosted by RFY0329

That why I suggested a aura type of buff. He's still himself, but he brings a buff with whenever he drinks.
why tho?
01/13/2018 09:27 PMPosted by RFY0329
why tho?

Why not? What's so bad about it that he gives a bit of support to allies that are around him? If they're charging with him and he happens to drink they at least gain a reduce damage taken for a short period of time.
01/13/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Fen9913
01/13/2018 09:27 PMPosted by RFY0329
why tho?

Why not? What's so bad about it that he gives a bit of support to allies that are around him? If they're charging with him and he happens to drink they at least gain a reduce damage taken for a short period of time.
It's a buff and it would be picked more. Tanks and others now need to be balanced to stop dive.
He's fine.
hes a bruiser, so high hp bully pretty much

edit: in these types of games the offtanks will have utility or other roles, in this case roadhod is a bruiser/ displacer cause of the hook
Hog's not a main tank at all, off tank if anything.

He doesn't eally protect the team, he just soaks the damage which results in the enemy team getting more ultimate charge off him.

I personally dont want to see more barriers in this game but I feel he needs something changed to actually help the team instead of just taking all the damage...
01/13/2018 09:35 PMPosted by KaKao
I personally dont want to see more barriers in this game but I feel he needs something changed to actually help the team instead of just taking all the damage...

By all means if my concept isn't appealing for many. I am open for new suggestions to give this guy some flavor than just be test dummy.

01/13/2018 09:32 PMPosted by RFY0329
It's a buff and it would be picked more. Tanks and others now need to be balanced to stop dive.

Yeah most of us are waiting for that day to come whenever Overwatch crew gets to balancing, but for right now that comp seems favorable for their OWL. Tanks especially like Reinhardt, Orisa, Roadhog and Zarya could use some love because D.va and Winston been taking the spotlight so far. Nevertheless nothing wrong with that buff if that made him be picked often. However he doesn't bring a barrier so it's only good for a charge attempt if allies are near him.
01/13/2018 09:19 PMPosted by Pakaku
He should not be a main tank, and that is exactly what's fun and unique about him.

The most unique thing about him is that out of all the Tanks, he's the most selfish with abilities that only benefit himself, which fits his character pretty well. He's less of a Tank and more like a heavily beefed up Offensive hero minus the mobility.
Roadhog is a tank. If you look at an actual main battle tank in today's armies, Hog fulfill that role better than any other hero. An MBT's job is to be a beefy unit who can take punishment and has a main gun that can do a serious amount of damage, so it forces the enemy to take very secure and sheltered positions. Allowing the rest of the army, to have more space to manueverIn OW the hook threat is the only thing that does that. If anything he is the only main tank in OW.
01/13/2018 09:35 PMPosted by KaKao

By all means if my concept isn't appealing for many. I am open for new suggestions to give this guy some flavor than just be test dummy.
problem is the way hog is built you can't make him a main tank, he has no shield. Before his damage nerf he created a !@#$ ton of space much more than he does now. That's how he protected it was difficult to get near the healers when the hog was with them, mess up and your dead.
I like the idea, I get the feeling it might be op in practice, but who can say for sure? The only thing I hear about him being not good enough is that he gets taken down far too easily from widow sniper fire, so maybe a passive to specifically prevent snipers from picking him off so easily?
I'm completely with you, I've "mained" hog since season 1, I'd like him to be able to main tank, but not with more shiels... and not with his body, there's been a lot of suggestions in the mega roadhog thread but none that I remember atm.

Since they removed his ability to "OHK" I'd like to see him be able to help the team in other ways, without having yo soak all the damage himself.
01/13/2018 10:02 PMPosted by Attlus
I like the idea, I get the feeling it might be op in practice, but who can say for sure?

Probably, but due to not having shields it only protects them for a short period of times. It can favor a dive comp, but one of the dive tanks got to go or 3 tanks will its form. Not sure if that's the healthy comp outside of qp, but would be fun to test it until some other comp conquers it.