Playing Tank and Support Needs to be Incentivized

General Discussion
I feel like this could be one way to maybe lessen this problem to some extent. Halve the exp you get for playing dps for more than 30% of the match time or something. This 5dps/1heal or 1tank garbage has already made 2 of the people I used to regularly play with not want to play the game anymore and I can see where they're coming from. Plain and simple, it's not fun when your team has an undying fetish for running a cancer comp that has zero synergy 80% of the time.

Blizzard pls

Edit: Holy actual Hell people are attacking the idea of it being exp. It doesn't have to be exp. It could be anything.
Tank and support are rewarding as is, increased exp isn't fair for players who excel at playing dps. When tank or support plays work they are very rewarding and fun
No.

As a support main I disagree.

Dps would whine.
It would in end do nothing as not everyone really cares about xp after they get skins and stuff they want.

Also I don't want ppl who don't like support to take my heroes just cause of xp..
While I definitely do agree that more people need to play Tank and Support, I don’t think this is the way to do it. Maybe just give more incentive for winning in general.

No need to alienate dps players. They’re a fundamental part of a team composition. While they may not ALL be needed, they are still very much needed.
It doesn't have to be exp. Something to make people stop playing dps every !@#$%^- game without fail.
01/28/2018 05:27 PMPosted by JohnCena
I feel like this could be one way to maybe lessen this problem to some extent. Halve the exp you get for playing dps for more than 30% of the match time or something. This 5dps/1heal or 1tank garbage has already made 2 of the people I used to regularly play with not want to play the game anymore and I can see where they're coming from. Plain and simple, it's not fun when your team has an undying fetish for running a cancer comp that has zero synergy 80% of the time.

Blizzard pls

But for them to incentivize roles defeats the purpose of swapping heroes mid-game. If anything, the matchmaker needs a tune-up.

I for one, would like to see the comp ladder just be win or lose, none of this performance-based sr stuff, but then again smurfs exist... But even the current system is not immune to smurfs, so it's not like changing the sr system will fix anything. Players WILL find a way to game the system, no ifs ands or buts.
I mean... having a team member who can help stop you from being fired upon, soak up damage, or heal you should be recognized as being an incredibly powerful mechanic and a great way to improve the teams odds of winning.

Since most people care about winning it makes you wonder how is that not incentive enough? It is incentive enough for many to go to tank or healing, but the issue is many are just tired of doing nothing except that.
01/28/2018 05:28 PMPosted by yeti331
Tank and support are rewarding as is, increased exp isn't fair for players who excel at playing dps. When tank or support plays work they are very rewarding and fun

How could you possibly think this. Im convinced this must be sarcasm.
Better option, instead of punishing players for not playing how you want, why don't we instead make more tank and support characters that players would actually want to play?
ya as a support main this is a big problem. I am in bronze and I can climb when lots of my teams are me in support and all the others in nonrelevant dps.

blizzard pls can you look into this
but it is incentivized, winning is an incentive.
I'm a main tank/sup but forcing people play roles just for XP would just be bad.
01/28/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Illumielle
but it is incentivized, winning is an incentive.
The dude who locked in hanzo as the 5th dps that keeps running into junkrat spam coming from behind an orisa shield would like a word with you.
Eventually Blizzard will add a preferred role and incentives for playing Tank and Support, just like they did in WoW. We already saw the beta test for preferred role with the Mei/Winston mini game.
I like playing support. I don't like playing mercy because it feels like I don't have enough influence over the match. Nobody dislikes a role for no reason. Roadhog and dva get played, zen and moira are loved. There's just a lot of characters that don't give you enough influence over the game.
doing your job as you should as tank and healer should warrant less SR drops for losing when your dps cant hit a barn.

no point in me holding a shield, giving them big earth shatters, and firestriking the rip tires when 5 players behind me couldn't hit a roadhog that was standing still.

its just disheartening when you play like a god constantly but lose anyway because you're not the one killing people for your team.

(statistically speaking there should be an even distribution of tanks throughout the ranks determined by the skill based SR system and log curve of the ladder, but it doesn't happen, you just find less and less tank players at the top of the ladder because they lose more SR and lose more games on average than a tracer who can hard carry by scoring consistent picks)
This game just needs a role que.
Dps
Tank
Support
Fill
Put 2 fill in every team and no more than 2 of the others. That way it doesn't force a meta and ppl will get to do what they want to do.

The only incentive would be slightly better que times for ppl that will play anything their team needs/wants.
which is fair trade off right?
The reason why people aren’t playing these heroes are because they’ve been changed and made to be unfun (ie mercy), they’re essentially free picks to popular flanker such as genji/tracer, or don’t feel rewarding to play (ie it’s hard to gauge your effectiveness in creating space for your team).

Many offensive classes operate semi-independently and can control their fate a lot more effectively than tanks/supports which are more like enablers.

I don’t really have any ideas how to make playing “not offence” more rewarding, but bribing people isn’t the way as your not addressing the reason why people aren’t playing these in the first place. It should be a gameplay thing, like giving defence/support/tank heroes new and interesting abilities and utility skills (saves like Zarya bubble for instance) and NOT just damage buffs. If I want to do damage, I’ll pick an offensive hero. Let me control the battle with defence heroes, or debuff heroes that are out of position like Zen.
01/28/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Solex
Eventually Blizzard will add a preferred role and incentives for playing Tank and Support, just like they did in WoW. We already saw the beta test for preferred role with the Mei/Winston mini game.

Which personally I think is a good thing, if done right.

I don't think role incentives would work without a role-based queue. The queue system (in competitive) looks at getting a fair(ish) game ASAP, judging purely based on average SR, which leads to stomps, because two 3500 teams might not be equal, since one has 4 DPS mains and 2 Support mains, whereas the other one can flex comfortably to a 2/2/2 setup and wins since their tanks are comfortable in the role. The game right now doesn't distinguish between a Healer, Tank, DPS or flex main and I don't think incentivising Tanks or Supports would work without that distinction.

I think having a role-based queue is going to become inevitable in the long term, and when it roles around, we'll clearly be able to see what's the least popular roles based purely on queue time, and then work on incentivising from there.
Though I agree entirely that there needs to be an incentive to play tank and support, your idea of "incentivizing" seems to be simply to punish people for not playing tank or support. That's not an incentive, that's coercion.