"Says the support main"

Competitive Discussion
I want to start off by saying that I love Overwatch, I have spent countless hours on it.
I'm really into competitive play, and enjoy ranking up.

I have taken immense pride in being placed bronze, and working my way up to plat (9 times, always end up going back to gold), without being carried by a more experienced friend or whatnot.

Now, when there is a problem with our comp, I WILL say something.
I'm not rude, I'm not demanding.
I just simply point out an issue, and try to offer a solution.

Example:
Our comp on Route 66, attack mode.
Lucio (me), Rein, Hog, Junk, Widow, (last person switched between healers Ana and Moira)

We didn't even make it to the first point, our Widow and Junk were honestly not doing much dmg, the tanks were the only ones on the kill feed that weren't dying.

After giving it much more time than needed, at around having 1:45 left, I said, "Our DPS isn't really doing much, could we switch it up maybe?"

Oh boy, that was a mistake.

"Are you kidding me?"

"No, our tanks are doing all the work, trying to push, but they can't because nothing is dying. It's not their job to kill."

"I've been getting headshots all game!" (Hint: he wasn't. He was getting body shots, finishing off a kill our tanks were doing.)

"How many elims?"

"6 and I have gold!"

"That tells me that the dps isn't doing enough."

"Says the person who's playing LUCIO! All you have to do is EXIST!"

"Alright buddy."

To be fair, he was kinda right.
All I have to do as a Lucio is, exist, right?
All I have to do as Mercy is just heal and res, right?
All I have to do as Moira is to ONLY throw heal ball, right?

The kicker is, when we went on defense, we WON!
I switched to Mercy because I thought the res would really help out since they had so little to push.
I resed 5 people that round, and got my ult 3 times.
I made SURE to keep everyone healed as possible, making sure that our second healer (Lucio) didn't even have a job.
I WANTED to prove to this douche who kept !@#$%ing at me for the rest of our game, that my job matters.
That just because I'm a support main, that doesn't mean I can't point out what's going wrong.

I kept to myself while he kept screeching about my role. Even viewing my profile and saying, "A MERCY MAIN NO LESS!"

I have worked my ^-* off as a support main. Only playing support and getting to plat made me feel proud of myself.

So dear tanks and dps who think support role is easy,
1. Why don't you play it? I'd be happy to swap with you.
2. We sit behind the team, we see EVERYTHING that goes on, TRUST US!
3. Listen to us when we make a suggestion. Most supports won't complain, but when they do ("Winston is always on me!"), please listen and help us out. We will keep you alive longer if we're taken care of.
4. We are not invincible. We have a health bar too. On top of keeping you healed, we have to watch our back for flankers, tanks, AND keep ourselves alive.
5. Our role is important just like everyone else. If you belittle a support main, you might get unlucky and be matched with a Mercy main who will instantly swap to Bastion when !@#$%ed at. No they shouldn't do that, but you did it to yourself.
6. Get along. This game is about teamwork, and fun. It breaks my heart that so many games now-a-days are just about whos ego is bigger. Some days I don't want to play Mercy, but I will if it's what the team NEEDS.

Sorry for the ramble, just feel like supports don't get as much love as they did a couple seasons ago. (At least for me, not speaking for everyone)
01/21/2018 09:40 PMPosted by LunaHellsing
"Our DPS isn't really doing much, could we switch it up maybe?"

There's your mistake. Half the players in this game are special snowflakes and if you don't word your comment perfectly, you've basically insulted their ancestors and kicked their dog.

You need to coddle these people, otherwise they crack the sads.
My friend is a Mercy main. When she dies the rest of us drop like flies. She does call outs and usually I’m the only one to respond to them but it’s hard to save her sometimes depending on who I’m playing.

Support can carry games if they are protected. Tanks can carry games if DPS is finishing off their kills. DPS can carry if they are being properly healed.

It’s a team based game.

Everyone’s opinion matters.
Depends on who you have. Everyone has a perspective, maybe the widow was hitting a lot of shots but their support/tanks were on point to cover them hence why they thought they were actually doing a good job? The junkrat may have experienced something similar. Maybe you caught them on an off day where their tolerance for (possibly polite) constructive criticism was low. Or they were just jerks lol. Often you just have to gauge what sort of person they are and work around them just as much as if you have to work around a one trick player.

I'm sure you know better than me, but if my qp team is ever low on damage I usually break out the Zen and bean some people. You could always ask your fellow support if they wanted to play some soldier for some off heals and you switch to Mercy?
Main tank main here.

I do not envy support mains. I think that you people have nerves of steal!

I feel so helpless as Mercy tbh. I don't feel that I get much value out of playing healer (expect for Lucio, as I feel his speed boost determines the flow of the match).

I value my heals though and I will protect my supports as best I can.

Well done and keep it up!

Careful how you word things though, people do tend to take offense too quickly.

Gl & Hf!
Numbers 2,3, and 4 really hit home. I had a game today where I was playing Ana and I had to deal with Tracer, Mcree, Moira AND Winston constantly jumping us healers. Not once did the DPS or tanks peel for us two healers (Ana/Moira). After capping the first point in Gibraltar a DPS player (pharah) started going ape-!@#$ saying healers were terrible... that if you can't deal with a flank and heal at the same time switch to Lucio and Mercy. I instantly muted comms, switched to Lucio and just kept healing. Next round, I switched to Winston and carried the match, denying first point capture for the win. One of my other teammates called me a nice guy, thanked me for dealing with the toxicity well and continuing to play to win. I just hate games when the toxic players starts to win people over to their side and the toxicity breeds... o_O... that's the worst.
I want to start off by saying that I love Overwatch, I have spent countless hours on it.

I have taken immense pride in being placed bronze, and working my way up to plat (9 times, always end up going back to gold), without being carried by a more experienced friend or whatnot.

Example:
Lucio (me), Rein, Hog, Junk, Widow, (last person switched between healers Ana and Moira)

We didn't even make it to the first point, our Widow and Junk were honestly not doing much dmg, the tanks were the only ones on the kill feed that weren't dying.

After giving it much more time than needed, at around having 1:45 left, I said, "Our DPS isn't really doing much, could we switch it up maybe?"

"Are you kidding me?"

"No, our tanks are doing all the work, trying to push, but they can't because nothing is dying. It's not their job to kill."

"I've been getting headshots all game!" (Hint: he wasn't. He was getting body shots, finishing off a kill our tanks were doing.)

"How many elims?"

"6 and I have gold!"

"Alright buddy."

I switched to Mercy because I thought the res would really help out since they had so little to push.
I made SURE to keep everyone healed as possible, making sure that our second healer (Lucio) didn't even have a job.
I WANTED to prove to this douche who kept !@#$%ing at me for the rest of our game, that my job matters.
That just because I'm a support main, that doesn't mean I can't point out what's going wrong.

I kept to myself while he kept screeching about my role. Even viewing my profile and saying, "A MERCY MAIN NO LESS!"

I have worked my ^-* off as a support main. Only playing support and getting to plat made me feel proud of myself.

3. Listen to us when we make a suggestion. Most supports won't complain, but when they do ("Winston is always on me!"), please listen and help us out. We will keep you alive longer if we're taken care of.
4. We are not invincible. We have a health bar too. On top of keeping you healed, we have to watch our back for flankers, tanks, AND keep ourselves alive.
5. Our role is important just like everyone else. If you belittle a support main, you might get unlucky and be matched with a Mercy main who will instantly swap to Bastion when !@#$%ed at. No they shouldn't do that, but you did it to yourself.
6. Get along. This game is about teamwork, and fun. It breaks my heart that so many games now-a-days are just about whos ego is bigger. Some days I don't want to play Mercy, but I will if it's what the team NEEDS.

Sorry for the ramble, just feel like supports don't get as much love as they did a couple seasons ago. (At least for me, not speaking for everyone)

the thing is while it is often the dps fault that you can't push, if you are the highest mmr player on your team there is a larger chance your dps will be worse than theirs.

healer mains have to win more on defense because of that. either that or switch off to dps. I've done gold to plat with 12 different chars and Lucio was one of the harder ones so it's pretty laughable for dps to think lucio just exists and carries.

also if gold elims isn't even ten you as Lucio aren't doing your job. i would have at least 5 nearly solo elims in a losing game and plenty of suppplementary dps to help the dps at least get a few kills

the worst part about US players is they think dps and kills is just dps job.

i carried in plat game as mercy with 12 pistol kills and 35 assists.

healing is more valuable if you make stuff die while healing

make stuff die don't blame the dps.

if the tanks or sup were doing well the elims would not be that low.

and if dps feel overwhelmed complaining or swapping rarely do much.

today my 6 queue korean team stomped the us players on the west coast/asia server and the enemy Americans kept swapping nonstop and doing worse and worse

char skill matters more than swapping dps unless you need to break shields or deal with bastion.

if the dps player isn't playing their best char thaen asking them to switch might help.

otherwise only ask for swaps if it's absolutely necessary.

losing ult charge is very damaging in this game
01/21/2018 09:50 PMPosted by TheCheese
"Our DPS isn't really doing much, could we switch it up maybe?"

There's your mistake. Half the players in this game are special snowflakes and if you don't word your comment perfectly, you've basically insulted their ancestors and kicked their dog.

Sadly, you are so right.
I hate that people have to take it so personally. :\
01/21/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Lunaphae
My friend is a Mercy main. When she dies the rest of us drop like flies. She does call outs and usually I’m the only one to respond to them but it’s hard to save her sometimes depending on who I’m playing.

Support can carry games if they are protected. Tanks can carry games if DPS is finishing off their kills. DPS can carry if they are being properly healed.

It’s a team based game.

Everyone’s opinion matters.

That's usually my experience.
Dying as Mercy or Moira, whole team falls apart.

I still love being a supp main, though!
I would not call myself a support main but i do play a lot of it and I agree.
You threw by not picking Mercy on the first half.

That is a horrible map for Lucio.

Also, generally trash talking your DPS doesn't work, especially when you can't DPS.

If you haven't got a specific constructive feedback, don't give it.

i.e.

'A pharah would counter them'
'Maybe try a junkrat'
'We need hit scan to counter pharah'

The above are useful comments, and if they still get ignored, so be it.
Our DPS are doing nothing is not constructive.
Well I gotta throw my 2 cents in now. As a High master player who plays tank and mercy I feel I can bring the greatest perspective. Good tank players will always peel and assist u if it's a good dive from the opposing team. But if u are being dived every fight you are the problem not te tanks. There's a fine line Between tanks peeling and assisting supports and the supports just not being capable. Sometimes you need to do some crazy dodging and juking to win the fights. If you. Are dying in under 3 seconds u are a burden but if u are living for let's say 5-10 seconds and ur calling someone is on u then u die then obvs the team is to blame. Primarily main thing I'm trying to say is if u want to climb out of lower ranks then most the it's yourself that's the issue not the team so just try to adopt that mentality and improve :)
Suppports are the favorite punching bag of the community. Especially if your top time spent pick is not meta. In Mercys case though, people are just toxic towards you endlessly because its Mercy. Before the rez changes and especially after.
01/22/2018 01:41 AMPosted by PapaSmurf17
Well I gotta throw my 2 cents in now. As a High master player who plays tank and mercy I feel I can bring the greatest perspective. Good tank players will always peel and assist u if it's a good dive from the opposing team. But if u are being dived every fight you are the problem not te tanks. There's a fine line Between tanks peeling and assisting supports and the supports just not being capable. Sometimes you need to do some crazy dodging and juking to win the fights. If you. Are dying in under 3 seconds u are a burden but if u are living for let's say 5-10 seconds and ur calling someone is on u then u die then obvs the team is to blame. Primarily main thing I'm trying to say is if u want to climb out of lower ranks then most the it's yourself that's the issue not the team so just try to adopt that mentality and improve :)

Lol. "Our fault"?

It's our fault our dps and tanks don't ever take a moment to turn and observe what is going on in the backline and maybe find out WHY the healer is always dead? I mean, I'm a damn good support player but I can guarantee you it doesn't matter how amazing you are when tracer and genji dive you together as a zenyatta leaving you literally .5 seconds to say "I'm being di- never mind I'm dead" and then watch as your team dies slowly but surely because they never seem to grasp the concept if TEAM PLAY when protecting your supports comes to mind?

I absolutely hate this stupid mentality that people who play support have to somehow dodge everything thrown at them somehow and still heal the team at the same time. Mercy and moira can survive pretty well if your team is spread out enough and you are on point with moiras fade, but Ana? And Zen? They are screwed without some backup generally. Lucio is kinda in his own bracket. The skill of the Lucio player heavily influenced his survivability. Not so much Zen and Ana since they have no mobility at all and the weakest self sustain of the group. Winston dices are enough to take them out of commission if your team does nothing.

/rant over.
01/21/2018 09:50 PMPosted by TheCheese

exactly.. OP should of gone with "We could use more DPS focus on the payload" or "We need more heavy DPS or something". My go to defense line is always "Might make some changes, we are not even slowing them down".

Always say we, never single anyone out or call out a given player being in the end you can't make them do anything. It's like trying to get a child to give up candy of their own freewill. If you don't "Inception" the plan into them that it's their idea to change tactics/roles a large chunk of this clueless community will either freak out or just never change.
You're always going to have players who are poor team work players and making everyone else work harder to win games due to their poor hero picks or play style. All while the low impact player is thinking "Yeah, it's all me!".
01/22/2018 01:39 AMPosted by Contrail
You threw by not picking Mercy on the first half.

That is a horrible map for Lucio.

Also, generally trash talking your DPS doesn't work, especially when you can't DPS.

If you haven't got a specific constructive feedback, don't give it.

i.e.

'A pharah would counter them'
'Maybe try a junkrat'
'We need hit scan to counter pharah'

The above are useful comments, and if they still get ignored, so be it.
Our DPS are doing nothing is not constructive.

You threw the game by not picking mercy :D You are the reason why i love this community so much. So if you pick a healer that is not mercy, with sometimes 4 people instanlocking DPS and the 5th guy takes Roadhog as your tank, you are the one throwing by picking Ana/Lucio/Zen?

Why is it wrong to pick out obvious facts? If the enemy has a phara and your team has raper and Junk as DPS, asking them to switch is wrong? What are you supposed to say: " Hey guys i know you are the best DPS i ever had in my life, can you show me your increadible hitscan skills and carry me by killing phara so hard she will rage quit the game due to your awesome skills"? What is wrong about just saying: " Hey guys we could use a 76 or Cree to deal with Phara"?

Yes i did play a lot of Ana and i dieslike the boring gameplay of Mercy. So this is throwing the game? So there is no second healer on the team that could go mercy instead of just !@#$talking and playing junk against a phara?

This is the reason why i started to extremly dislike this community. Going 5 DPS and telling the only one willing to heal he is a thrower because he is not mercy.....
Another support main here, and I agree with you totally.
The trouble is as soon as you comment on tactics others take it as an insult, people getting riled with me ,unfortunately for them, find that I can be just as aggressive as them.
This of course dosnt help in a Comp match.
5 minutes phase time, mercy ult lasts 20 seconds. 20x3 = 1 minute. So for 20% of your round your team were basically chain healed to invincibility no suprise you won.

Example:

"Are you kidding me?"

"How many elims?"

"6 and I have gold!"

"Alright buddy."

tbh, it seems just another case of you being as clueless as the guy next to you. which basically summarize the current state of ranked xD
01/22/2018 03:20 AMPosted by Vento

Example:

"Are you kidding me?"

"How many elims?"

"6 and I have gold!"

"Alright buddy."

tbh, it seems just another case of you being as clueless as the guy next to you. which basically summarize the current state of ranked xD

^This.

Lucio has a gun. USE IT.

The main moral of your story..(and your stats). You are a #$@! Lucio and are much better at Mercy. When you switched to Mercy your TEAM did better. Shocking!!

Seriously though...all supports can secure kills. Stop thinking that it isn't your job. Only Mercy is exempt because of the pistol switching thing. And even then you will need to use the pistol once in a while.