A message to One tricks

General Discussion
Flex players!
You know who you are.

What can we do to encourage our fellow one-trickers to start picking up other heroes?

As Jeff said the game is meant for multiple hero play i.e countering mid match, adapting to certain situations/maps and so forth.

More players playing more heroes would create a more competitive environment and also highly reduce toxicity/salt in most matches in my honest opinion.

I understand having a favorite hero but I’ll never understand always picking the same hero 90%+ of the time no matter the situation, I feel like it hurts the game overall since it’s core purpose was built around the opposite.

Play more heroes!
You’ll get a lot more fun/value out of the game, it makes events and hero releases all the more exciting and not to mention it greatly diversifies your skill set.
As much as I agree with you, this post will still get downvoted to oblivion
Go out of our way to make sure any enemy 1 tricks are hard countered. No one likes being cannon fodder, so it might shame the more reasonable ones into switching.
01/26/2018 03:07 PMPosted by glitched
As much as I agree with you, this post will still get downvoted to oblivion

The sad truth..
Hm, is it specific one tricks that seem to be the problem? The issue isn't in the players, it's in the design of the game.

I can never be mad at a player who decides to one trick. I just have to trust that the bad will fall in rank, the average will float, and the good will rise.

Just like flex players. Of which many flex players are just average or below with many heroes, and shouldn't be praised just because they flex.

I like the intent of your post and I understand where you are coming from, I just don't personally subscribe to that ideology.
01/26/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Bendubz11
Go out of our way to make sure any enemy 1 tricks are hard countered. No one likes being cannon fodder, so it might shame the more reasonable ones into switching.

Interesting take. I’m wit it
Just don't flex too much. Stick with 3, or one in each class.

D.va needs a buff btw. She is so bad atm.
I think there was a hidden message when Jeff was speaking on the one tricks. I think they are going to start banning them again, at least for comp.
You can keep trying to counter one tricks, but know that eventually they will get so much better with this hero you couldn’t counter him anymore. While you will be average or below with every other heroes
01/26/2018 03:12 PMPosted by drinkwater
Hm, is it specific one tricks that seem to be the problem? The issue isn't in the players, it's in the design of the game.

I can never be mad at a player who decides to one trick. I just have to trust that the bad will fall in rank, the average will float, and the good will rise.

Just like flex players. Of which many flex players are just average or below with many heroes, and shouldn't be praised just because they flex.

I like the intent of your post and I understand where you are coming from, I just don't personally subscribe to that ideology.

It’s nothing negative towards them and u make a great point about skill levels.

It just seems like many players are simply stubborn to the fact of playing another hero. It’s a mentality, and that more than anything seems to be the problem.
01/26/2018 03:05 PMPosted by GFRKilla

You’ll get a lot more fun/value out of the game, it makes events and hero releases all the more exciting and not to mention it greatly diversifies your skill set.

I've been having fun for playing Zarya, and only Zarya for 765 hours. I can play McCree, Ana, and a others, but that doesn't mean I *want* to.

By all means, do that. I'll keep you distracted, while my team gets on point.
I normally don't play FPS games, I usually play CRPG or MMORPG games. I tried the open beta of Overwatch for free, and Mercy is literally the only reason why I ended up buying the game. She is the only hero that is fun to play for me. Mercy requires a different skillset than other heroes, a skillset that works very well for my CRPG/MMORPG background (situational awareness, decision making, etc.)
I'm too invested into this meme of an account.

Sorry, dude
01/26/2018 03:28 PMPosted by Qwazi
I normally don't play FPS games, I usually play CRPG or MMORPG games. I tried the open beta of Overwatch for free, and Mercy is literally the only reason why I ended up buying the game. She is the only hero that is fun to play for me. Mercy requires a different skillset than other heroes, a skillset that works very well for my CRPG/MMORPG background (situational awareness, decision making, etc.)
Aka no aim
01/26/2018 03:19 PMPosted by GFRKilla
01/26/2018 03:12 PMPosted by drinkwater

It’s nothing negative towards them and u make a great point about skill levels.

It just seems like many players are simply stubborn to the fact of playing another hero. It’s a mentality, and that more than anything seems to be the problem.

With you it isn't negative I can see that, but trust me when I tell you that it's pretty verbally violent in game on this topic.

It's not a mentality issue because this is a casual game first. To me and you it's probably only a competitive one, but we would fall in the minority.

People one trick for many reasons
1. Fall in love with a hero so much that nothing else interests them.
-with little to no clearly define roles for many heroes and a promise to never force a meta, it's hard to argue against this.
-they bought their game. I know people hate this reason, but it's true. That player should not have to consider the team as long as their trying hard.

2. Because the heroes are underpowered or poorly designed... and they want to either prove they can do well with them. Others choose to troll.
-game sense can lead to great plays with horribly designed heroes. There is an allure to that.
-trolls will be trolls, can't really say more than that.

3. Mechanical skill lacks (can be a physical ailment, a lack of fps experience, a casual approach, or just not that great overall no matter how hard they try)
-this is why we have a system of rankings. People "should" fall or climb appropriately.
-very few heroes fall in this category. Mercy one tricks and mains are often praised and harassed to play her.

Point is...
Unless you're on a pro team with a coach and getting paid... one trick your heart out. I will advise to learn other heroes so you know how to play against them, but I can't force that. So I just applaud the good ones and hope I don't see the bad ones.

The main problem is Blizzard hasn't fixed their game. They use words like "Situational" to disguise against underpowered realities.
01/26/2018 03:05 PMPosted by GFRKilla
Play more heroes!
You’ll get a lot more fun/value out of the game, it makes events and hero releases all the more exciting
This, basically. I'd be so tired of this game if all I ever did was play Mercy. But I have lots of play time on plenty of other heroes. It keeps things fresh!
Go out of our way to make sure any enemy 1 tricks are hard countered. No one likes being cannon fodder

*cough* Tracer *cough*

But by all means make my life on McCree hell, it's not like the sin of picking the hero with the least sustain in the game is punishment enough.

I just want to play McCree and have fun doing what I do best, but usually it's my team forcing me to switch, not the enemy team. That's pretty sad.

These days I flex more and more just because when I'm forced into making the choice of having a chance at winning OR trying to have fun, I don't want to join the retards that make the "Just QP bruh" mentality a reality.
As much as I see your point, I view one-tricking as people doing what they want with the game that they purchased. Kind of like how some people play rpgs and do ALL the quests while others go through the main questline and never touch the game again. You might not like how they do it, but they are at liberty to enjoy the game however they want. I'm also a stoic believer that the ranked system will naturally push one-tricks lower than where they should be, making them have to deal with being at a lower rank.

I personally have no issue with one-tricking. I think the reason why it has drawn such a bad rap is because people in Overwatch are meta-freaks... I can't play Moira/Ana in my masters game because we NEED to have a Zen because the pros play Zen. Or I can't play Reinhardt because "ORISA IS BETTER IN EVERY WAY". Or I have to play dive comp because nothing else works on offense. Don't blame people for not conforming to the mold of a team that you have envisioned in your mind. It's like bullying the nerd because he talks funny or looks a way that you don't like. Let them play how they want to play, and if you lose, don't forget that they lose elo too. At the end of the day, everyone wants to win.

My biggest issue is people playing on smurf accounts who give up/leave the game at the drop of a hat because they don't care about SR on their second accounts. I'd rather have a team full of Mercy one-tricks than have 1 toxic person on my team.
Like you're ever going to be able to make a one trick mercy play any other hero. It's all they know.

Easy
Boring
One dimensional
Broken

That's mercy.
01/26/2018 03:47 PMPosted by SLVRFOX
Go out of our way to make sure any enemy 1 tricks are hard countered. No one likes being cannon fodder

*cough* Tracer *cough*

But by all means make my life on McCree hell, it's not like the sin of picking the hero with the least sustain in the game is punishment enough.

I just want to play McCree and have fun doing what I do best, but usually it's my team forcing me to switch, not the enemy team. That's pretty sad.

These days I flex more and more just because when I'm forced into making the choice of having a chance at winning OR trying to have fun, I don't want to join the retards that make the "Just QP bruh" mentality a reality.

If you don't think you have a chance at winning when you are playing McCree, then you must have no confidence in your McCree. McCree is amazing and definitely in the top 4 DPS right now (Behind Genji,Tracey, Trashmouse). Don't let your teammates influence your decision. McCree is anti-flanker and has an extremely powerful spot in the current meta, since dive is so prevalent. Watch Pine in OWL and you will see just how good he is