A message to One tricks

General Discussion
01/26/2018 03:58 PMPosted by Comet
If you don't think you have a chance at winning when you are playing McCree, then you must have no confidence in your McCree. McCree is amazing and definitely in the top 4 DPS right now (Behind Genji,Tracey, Trashmouse). Don't let your teammates influence your decision. McCree is anti-flanker and has an extremely powerful spot in the current meta, since dive is so prevalent. Watch Pine in OWL and you will see just how good he is

Thank you for the vote of confidence. When I say least sustain, I mean I have no way of getting healed so most of the time soldier is a far better pick, because he has sustain AND mobility.

Also, when the enemy team runs Orisa and spam 24/7, I honestly can't do !@#$ about that when our tank picks are retarded and we have Doomfist and Genji as our other DPS.

Like, the shield war decides whether my pick has value. No matter how conservatively I position, if I don't have teammates that do their job, or respond to the enemy teams comp I'm more SOL on McCree than any other hero.
01/26/2018 04:03 PMPosted by SLVRFOX
01/26/2018 03:58 PMPosted by Comet
If you don't think you have a chance at winning when you are playing McCree, then you must have no confidence in your McCree. McCree is amazing and definitely in the top 4 DPS right now (Behind Genji,Tracey, Trashmouse). Don't let your teammates influence your decision. McCree is anti-flanker and has an extremely powerful spot in the current meta, since dive is so prevalent. Watch Pine in OWL and you will see just how good he is

Thank you for the vote of confidence. When I say least sustain, I mean I have no way of getting healed so most of the time soldier is a far better pick, because he has sustain AND mobility.

Also, when the enemy team runs Orisa and spam 24/7, I honestly can't do !@#$ about that when our tank picks are retarded and we have Doomfist and Genji as our other DPS.

Like, the shield war decides whether my pick has value. No matter how conservatively I position, if I don't have teammates that do their job, or respond to the enemy teams comp I'm more SOL on McCree than any other hero.

Shield war happens on Soldier too! The biggest thing for hitscan is to grab the high ground and force them behind a shield or rain down free shots on them. For example, high ground on Numbani is insane all the way through! Same with Junkertown, Eichenwalde, and Dorado. I have a 79% win rate with McCree this season and I'm way more rusty than when I was playing near gm last year, since I took a big break. What I've found is that hitscan DPS need to be positioned perfectly to be effective, unlike Genji and Tracer who can over-extend every few seconds and get out fine. What I need to work on, and a lot of McCrees I've seen too, is focusing on positioning first, then hitting shots. Despite having low mobility, his pick potential is on par with Roadhog and Widow if you are hitting your shots!
01/26/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Comet
McCrees I've seen too, is focusing on positioning first, then hitting shots.

This is 100% what I'm up to right now. I don't know how to position better than I am. I take the high ground when viable, I try to position conservatively, but I feel like no matter where I position I get dived and killed. This isn't as bad on soldier. It's really frustrating because McCree is my favourite hero, but a lot of my games feel like I'm being told "!@#$ you, you aren't allowed to play this hero".

You are 100% right, aim is secondary, I can already aim. Positioning is the real game on McCree. I'm thinking of sending in VoDs/reviewing my own.

Also, Soldier can help bust shields, and he does it far better than McCree.
01/26/2018 03:05 PMPosted by GFRKilla

You’ll get a lot more fun/value out of the game

Some folks just can't accept that not everyone thinks/feels the same way. When I go to the store and buy ice cream, 99% of the time I picked cookies and cream. Do I like other ice cream flavors? Sure, after all, ice cream rules. But, when given the choice I pick my favorite.

Likewise with video games. Lots of my friends play multiple characters in games. That's just not how I am. I like to focus on one character, develop a connection to the play style and understand how that character works. To me, the weakness of a character is a challenge to be overcome, not a reason to give up on it. The feeling I get from success is that much greater because of the difficulty I faced earning it. I've always been that way. Crank the difficulty to max, play hardcore modes, impose random rules on myself for a higher challenge, etc. It's just how I like to play, and it's what brings me enjoyment in gaming.

Plenty of folks feel the same as me, and plenty feel differently. It's fine, people are just different. We'd be rather boring if we were all the same.

01/26/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Bendubz11
Go out of our way to make sure any enemy 1 tricks are hard countered. No one likes being cannon fodder, so it might shame the more reasonable ones into switching.
While the action of hard countering them in itself is fine, and certainly a decent game strategy, your attitude is pretty vindictive for really no reason. It's also rather rude to insult folks by calling them unreasonable just because they don't play the game the same way you do. Besides, as a Widow main I have been fighting against 3-4 counters almost every match since Dive became the popular thing. I've been used to it for quite some time already, it's already as bad as it gets. It's not like it can get any worse for me.
01/26/2018 03:28 PMPosted by Qwazi
I normally don't play FPS games, I usually play CRPG or MMORPG games. I tried the open beta of Overwatch for free, and Mercy is literally the only reason why I ended up buying the game. She is the only hero that is fun to play for me. Mercy requires a different skillset than other heroes, a skillset that works very well for my CRPG/MMORPG background (situational awareness, decision making, etc.)

I only got into this game because of my brother, and I also only played for a single hero (now two). I have excellent strategy, but poor aim, which is particularly punished with this being an FPS, so I'm mediocre with most of the roster. Flexing is definitely an admirable skill that is the basis for Overwatch, but some people realistically only enjoy a few play-styles.
Flex players!
You know who you are.

What can we do to encourage our fellow one-trickers to start picking up other heroes?

As Jeff said the game is meant for multiple hero play i.e countering mid match, adapting to certain situations/maps and so forth.

More players playing more heroes would create a more competitive environment and also highly reduce toxicity/salt in most matches in my honest opinion.

I understand having a favorite hero but I’ll never understand always picking the same hero 90%+ of the time no matter the situation, I feel like it hurts the game overall since it’s core purpose was built around the opposite.

Play more heroes!
You’ll get a lot more fun/value out of the game, it makes events and hero releases all the more exciting and not to mention it greatly diversifies your skill set.
Flex? oh is that why all i see are tracer/ genji cams in owl? yaawn.. yea right.. flex.
01/26/2018 04:19 PMPosted by SLVRFOX
01/26/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Comet
McCrees I've seen too, is focusing on positioning first, then hitting shots.

This is 100% what I'm up to right now. I don't know how to position better than I am. I take the high ground when viable, I try to position conservatively, but I feel like no matter where I position I get dived and killed. This isn't as bad on soldier. It's really frustrating because McCree is my favourite hero, but a lot of my games feel like I'm being told "!@#$ you, you aren't allowed to play this hero".

You are 100% right, aim is secondary, I can already aim. Positioning is the real game on McCree. I'm thinking of sending in VoDs/reviewing my own.

Also, Soldier can help bust shields, and he does it far better than McCree.

You can send me your vods and I can review for you if you want, just add me on BNet. If you get jumped as McCree it isn't the end of the fight. Got to remember that Mercy is still in every game so he can get rezzed and as long as he died on high ground it is very inconvenient for other team to jump him a second time.

It's kind of the way dive works, however. It doesn't really matter who they dive, that player is dead. It's not unique to just McCrees, almost every character dies to full team dives.
I’m a Mercy main. I’d love to play Dva, Symmetra, Tjorborn, Zenyatta, Moira, Winston, Reinhardt, or Junkrat. However, people threaten to throw if I try to play something else. The only time I get to play something else is when there are multiple Mercy mains on my team, or on an alt account.

It’s frustrating trying to play another character on my alt account because nobody else will ever play Mercy, so I never get any healing. Sucks.
Most one tricks are one tricks because

a) they have success with it
b) they love the hero and possibly
c) have the competitive goal to become the best player at xy hero

Jeff even admitted himself that if you are skilled enough, you can be successful nontheless so that is that.
Jeff also used to say that he prefers to see the best Genji player to play Genji and not force him to play Zarya.
And they didnt want to force metas, but encourage the players to come up with their own strategy.
They also put emphasis on the fact that you can play all heroes at all times in all modes without restrictions.
What can we do to encourage our fellow one-trickers to start picking up other heroes?

Change SR gains/losses to be based entirely on win vs lose not individual performance. That way you're not punished by playing something you're personally worse at, but gives the team a better shot of winning.

Also making all the roles fun. There's way too much of a focus on cool dps plays. Holding up a shield or holding a healing beam on someone while being unable to do anything else is beyond boring.
When I get in a match, (especially competitive) I usually just wait for everyone to pick their heroes and just determine what’s best given on the team comp, what map we’re playing and what’s my best hero available in combination with the other factors, which usually works out but not always.

Anyone else do this?

Actually nothing. NOTHING can change them. You see, you gotta understand WHY most people are one tricks...

One Tricks play only one hero because they only find one hero fun. Maybe if more heroes existed, they'd have more options to pick from but ultimately right now they only find one enjoyable.

They don't care about rank, Sr, none of that business.
01/30/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Honchkrow

Actually nothing. NOTHING can change them. You see, you gotta understand WHY most people are one tricks...

One Tricks play only one hero because they only find one hero fun. Maybe if more heroes existed, they'd have more options to pick from but ultimately right now they only find one enjoyable.

They don't care about rank, Sr, none of that business.

Completely agree. Thats why i really want an "avoid this player" option. One tricking is not banable? Ok... then allow me to avoid them!
Im a flex player, but I can't get on the bandwagon of hating one-tricks until the community is honest with itself. They don't hate one-tricks. They hate off-meta one-tricks.
the solution is to create more heroes that allow transfering skills.
the same way being a decent s76 will also imply decent mcree aim.
thats the only solution to make people flex
Playing one hero exclusively is like buying a game that comes with 10 lots of DLC free but you're just gonna play the base game only.

You're missing out on so much.

For all you know. You could try these other heroes and actually love playing them but thats just my £2.