Symmetra will not succeed as a defense hero

General Discussion
01/28/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Dysvalence
"I want Sym to be a non healing support" = solo heals. No one likes solo heals.

Sym's entire design is based around a niche that basically doesn't exist, it's horrendously flawed and she needs an extensive rework.
I want a rework but it seems the devs don't agree

Although we don't know since they were very vague
I think it'd be cool if they took her shield generator, and retrofitted it into an ability , like resurrect. either by making the radius smaller, or giving it less health.
01/28/2018 02:39 PMPosted by DrFate
01/28/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Dysvalence
"I want Sym to be a non healing support" = solo heals. No one likes solo heals.

Sym's entire design is based around a niche that basically doesn't exist, it's horrendously flawed and she needs an extensive rework.
I want a rework but it seems the devs don't agree

They said she wasn't going to get major buffs. They didn't say anything about a rework.
I swear if all they do is reduce her barrier cooldown, I’m gonna riot
01/28/2018 03:05 PMPosted by Solitude
I swear if all they do is reduce her barrier cooldown, I’m gonna riot
Same
01/28/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Drathnoth
01/28/2018 02:39 PMPosted by DrFate
... I want a rework but it seems the devs don't agree

They said she wasn't going to get major buffs. They didn't say anything about a rework.
I hope ur right in that

But I feel like that's reading into what he said a little too much

But I hope it Is a rework

But I doubt it
If they made Symmetra give Damage Resistance instead of so much shields, she'd synergize nicely with all the healers. Having 75 extra shields is just an extra 75 health to heal, but, for example, 25% damage resistance gives the equivalent of 50 health, but healers can heal it up in the same amount of time as before.

Functionally multiplying the effectiveness of their healing across the board.

Mercy heals 60health/sec, taking her 3.33 seconds to heal a 200 hp hero. With 275 shields,
it takes her 4.58 seconds to heal them to full; with 25 DR and 25 shields, they'd have the equivalent of 275 health, but only take 3.75 seconds to heal them, boosting her effective healing by 22%, to 72 healing per second.

25% would probably be too much, but something like 10% and 50 shields(as an ult) or 25 shields and 5% DR(as an ability) would make symmetra synergize much better with healers.

Also, DR scales with health, making it equally effective for tanks as well as attackers, making Sym less overpowered with heroes like Tracer and better for heroes like Roadhog.
01/28/2018 02:45 PMPosted by Quasicrystal
I think it'd be cool if they took her shield generator, and retrofitted it into an ability , like resurrect. either by making the radius smaller, or giving it less health.
Umm, technically it was already like that, it was kinda the point of limiting Symmetra so she could either give health to her allies or a Teleporter.
Not to miss the point of the entire post, but what does labeling her as "defense" really change? You still could (and should if that happens) play her in the support slot. Same way as Sombra is labeled in the offense category, but you play her in the support slot. It wouldn't change anything.

Edit: obviously symmetra is still a dumpster fire and needs buffs bad, but yeah.
Why not make her turrets heal friendlies and slow enemies? That immediatley shifts her value from dps to support. Maybe have her shield heal teammates it passes through as well?
01/28/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Fragehardt
Not to miss the point of the entire post, but what does labeling her as "defense" really change? You still could (and should if that happens) play her in the support slot. Same way as Sombra is labeled in the offense category, but you play her in the support slot. It wouldn't change anything.

Edit: obviously symmetra is still a dumpster fire and needs buffs bad, but yeah.
I say this because it seems as if the Devs are buffing her to be more of a defense hero and I'm saying why that would be a terrible idea to try and buff her to become a defense hero
Symmetra will not succeed period if the top Sym players keep getting banned for hero choice.
01/28/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Nessykins
Symmetra will not succeed period if the top Sym players keep getting banned for hero choice.
This is also true
01/28/2018 12:18 PMPosted by TheFiend
I don't know, honestly at this point they can't make her more of a healer, since Moira basically IS a healing Symettra.

If anything, I'd focus Sym more towards defense. So long as she's got short range turrets, she's basically going to be a niche defender anyway. I'd try to push her towards anti-flanker. Maybe have her turrets take away mobility powers while a target is under fire, and also makes them visible for a short time throw walls (like hanzo's arrows). Make her a real pain for Tracer, Genji and Sombra.

Turrets already slow down targets, but it's only really effective when it's 6 turrets on an archway and someone walks through the archway.

It needs to be so that even one turret will slow down movement abilities. At this time Tracer and Genji can so easily dash through them.
I mean she has a cool concept

Non healing support

Why not expand on it
Her classification on the select screen doesn’t change how she plays in-game so I’m confused by the point of this thread
decrease her damage all around, lmb, rmb, and turrets... and give her a passive that gives closeby allies to her or her turrets a shield(similar to doomfist's) while she is actively doing damage.

maybe even remove her shield generator and go back to teleporter only.
01/28/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Cr0ssfad3
Her classification on the select screen doesn’t change how she plays in-game so I’m confused by the point of this thread
The point is that it seems as if the devs want to buff her dps abilities and I'm saying she can't succeed as a dps defense hero
They didn't say they weren't buffing her support side. They just said she has a defensive play style.
01/28/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Crusher55
They didn't say they weren't buffing her support side. They just said she has a defensive play style.
I kind of got the vibe that they were going for a defensive sym and this thread is here just to deter this idea if it's being considerd