Countering Genji

General Discussion
A big problem i have with dueling Genji is that he can easily dash through me and then proceed to double jump over my head and spam right click with very low effort, while i try to search him to be able to actually shoot him and at the moment i find him, its already too late and i'm already dead.
So my question is, how do i counter that?
Any tips to prevent losing sight of him?
Aim better

If he deflects and you think he’ll swift strike turn around and walk with your back towards him and fire
Pick Symmetra.
Oh wait you're gonna get reported by your teamates, pick Moira.

there you go #OurAverageForumPostToHelpPeople
01/22/2018 09:21 AMPosted by TheReinhardt
turn around and walk with your back towards him and fire
Probably the worst advice I have read when 1v1ing any hero.
Well, who are you playing ?
01/22/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Joomzy
01/22/2018 09:21 AMPosted by TheReinhardt
turn around and walk with your back towards him and fire
Probably the worst advice I have read when 1v1ing any hero.
if he swift strikes he goes behind you

Meet him halfway and shoot him as he goes through you
01/22/2018 09:25 AMPosted by TheReinhardt
01/22/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Joomzy
...Probably the worst advice I have read when 1v1ing any hero.
if he swift strikes he goes behind you

How dumb would the Genji player have to be to see their opponent turn their back to them and just stand there and think, “I should probably swift strike.”
01/22/2018 09:29 AMPosted by sisterhawk
01/22/2018 09:25 AMPosted by TheReinhardt
...if he swift strikes he goes behind you

How dumb would the Genji player have to be to see their opponent turn their back to them and just stand there and think, “I should probably swift strike.”

Well according to the forums, Genji mains are stupid, brainless, and many other words.
01/22/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Witch

Doomfist
Aim, keep distance.

If you're having this much trouble with Genji, you'll HATE fighting a good Tracer, neither are op, but when someone is good, they're REALLY good.

Was playing Zen. I heard him following me, so i baited him around the corner and charged my right click. Hit him and did a lot of damage, but he immediatly dashed through me and won anyway, because for the reasons that i lost sight and it took too long to find where he is. Just turning 180° doesnt always do it because he can be above my head thanks to double jump.
Depends on who you're playing as. Which heroes do you usually play against Genjis?
01/22/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Deykar

Was playing Zen. I heard him following me, so i baited him around the corner and charged my right click. Hit him and did a lot of damage, but he immediatly dashed through me and won anyway, because for the reasons that i lost sight and it took too long to find where he is. Just turning 180° doesnt always do it because he can be above my head thanks to double jump.
Flankers counter healers, that's elementary. Ask a teammate to be near you at all times. Like Winston or hog, even McCree.
Whenever I notice a Genji has set his sights on me I just let him kill me. There's little I can do against him anyways, as he easily avoids and deflects everything you do- even ults- his deflect is basically a ult on it's own.
01/22/2018 09:35 AMPosted by Noiiak
01/22/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Deykar

Flankers counter healers, that's elementary. Ask a teammate to be near you at all times. Like Winston or hog, even McCree.

So there is no way to outplay him?
01/22/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Deykar
A big problem i have with dueling Genji is that he can easily dash through me and then proceed to double jump over my head and spam right click with very low effort, while i try to search him to be able to actually shoot him and at the moment i find him, its already too late and i'm already dead.
So my question is, how do i counter that?
Any tips to prevent losing sight of him?

Depends who you're playing. If you're playing a hitscan hero like McCree, it's a skill based matchup. Remember that a double jumping Genji is actually easier to hit than a Genji who is crouch spamming and AD strafing. There's very little air strafing in this game so any hero who is jumping is much easier to hit because they follow a predictable arc. Ideally, the easiest time to hit a double jumping Genji is right after the apex of his second jump, when he's falling down and has little to no directional control. If you practice enough with a hero like McCree or Soldier, hitting the Genji should be easy enough with time. If he's trying to double jump over you, don't let him. Just back up a bit and give him some space. Never stand still or move in straight lines or he'll kill you easy.

That's pretty much the basics. I'm not sure what hero you're trying to counter him with though so that's pretty much all I got. Heroes like Winston / Moira / Symmetra are pretty self explanatory when it comes to hitting him.
I always obliterate him with Mc cree.
Bait his deflect.
Countdown....
Kill.

Also keep in mind the things he can't deflect: beams, ice cloud, lightning, boops (Lucio, D.Va bump, conc, charge), hacking, punches, and the beartrap and poison.

As for as the strike, you just have to get him from a distance before you move in. aka, if you're Doomfist, make somebody else kill him.
01/22/2018 09:39 AMPosted by Deykar
01/22/2018 09:35 AMPosted by Noiiak
...Flankers counter healers, that's elementary. Ask a teammate to be near you at all times. Like Winston or hog, even McCree.

So there is no way to outplay him?
Zen is one of the easiest heroes to kill a Genji with... Discord right click, or spam left if you suck.