Overwatch Is Missing a Mage Archetype.

General Discussion
Symmetra and Moira are supposed to "feel" like sorcerers, while Mercy is supposed to feel like a priest. Zenyatta feels like a wizard kind of, also. That's not awful for an FPS, but I am hoping that when Sanjay gets added to the game he'll feel like a mage. He has the personality and technology for the feel of the character.
01/25/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Ninniq
Moira
moira is a warlock archetype, similar but not the same
01/25/2018 12:17 PMPosted by Edgyveggie
The Mage is a very popular, and classic hero archetype that Overwatch hasn't explored yet. I just think it's a real shame because one of my best friends loves mages in mobas, and other games like World of Warcraft, and Paladins, but doesn't really like Overwatch because there isn't a hero that appeals to him. He can't be the only one, because mages appeal to a lot of different people, and I hope we see one make it into the game soon. With all the advanced tech in the Overwatch universe, I'm sure Blizzard could make something extraordinary, maybe they could even summon bots or something.

What do you mean by "mage" in the context of Overwatch?

Like what mechanics do mages have in FPS arena games that you miss? Remember, OW is an FPS first, not a MOBA - the closest comparison is TF2, not League

I ask about game mechanics because the flavor package of a mage is right out - OW is science-fiction superheros - like if Star Trek and the X-Men had a baby - it's not a Fantasy world with wizards and dragons, nor should it be made into one with some kind of invisable tech justification - OW needs to feel like OW

So what is it that the wizard archetype does that you would like to see in an OW hero?

Summoner? Sym summons turrets - summoning bots is problematic since they have behaviors and that takes away from the purity of the contest between players

AOE? That's lots of ults

DOT? Widow has some of that
Love all the positive comments guys, I just feel like some sort of glass cannon ranged caster is really something we need. Whatever form it takes a biotech, plasma, or techno mage would be really dope haha.
Moira says hi
I get what you're saying but the setting and world of Overwatch is more or less science fiction, not high fantasy, I couldn't see a pure mage fitting into the game to be honest
If we have Moira, we can have wizards
01/25/2018 12:25 PMPosted by DVS
01/25/2018 12:22 PMPosted by Jesterskull
Meanwhile you have Mei, Moira, and Symmetra who do a lot of cast stuff.

Agreed.

Also if there ever was a necromancer type character it would be an omnic with a small army of bots instead of skeletons and zombies

One of the God-programs breaking out, maybe?
Mei is already a frost mage in all senses except her actual model.

Remove the physical gun and each of her abilities could still easily belong to an otherwise "magic" character (frost spray, icicles, blizzard, ice wall, cryo-freeze), with several of her abilities (notably ice block) being lifted directly from mages in Blizzard's own World of Warcraft.

There's no need to introduce actual "magic" when any such abilities can be given technological justifications.
What do you mean Mage archetype? Typically I see mages as DPS roles. Is that what you mean?

If you just mean magic in general, I think the point of the future setting to get away from fantasy tropes. They have WoW and Diablo for fantasy, and Starcraft and now Overwatch for sci-fi. Besides, I think the Shimada dragons ARE magic, so there is at least a little bit of it.
I wish this game was like HOTs. Other game characters in OW - that'd be crazy. Imagine being Diablo, in first person. Or another evil.
I assumed Moira was supposed to fit that archetype.
Explain Zenyatta to me scientifically!
Well if someone is still single after the age of 30, he/she is considered a wizard.
01/25/2018 09:18 PMPosted by Meowjoker
Well if someone is still single after the age of 30, he/she is considered a wizard.

Nope that's 60!
01/25/2018 09:18 PMPosted by Meowjoker

So...Bastion?
01/25/2018 08:52 PMPosted by WackoJack
What do you mean Mage archetype? Typically I see mages as DPS roles. Is that what you mean?

If you just mean magic in general, I think the point of the future setting to get away from fantasy tropes. They have WoW and Diablo for fantasy, and Starcraft and now Overwatch for sci-fi. Besides, I think the Shimada dragons ARE magic, so there is at least a little bit of it.

Mage in this case isn't about magic, a mage is a fragile hero that has powerful ability casts but a weak basic attack, usually with long range.

In a way I might even consider Doomfist to be some sort of weird "melee mage" because of how utterly dependent on abilities he is. Picture something like that, but with longer ranged attacks instead of melee. Getting hacked by Sombra should completely screw over a mage in the same way Doomfist gets screwed over by hacks.
I feel Moira or something like her is as close as OW will get to a mage
Well we have room for flamethrower hero here/=pyromancer
No magic but playstyle can be kinda same, flame walls, Aoe flame areas, flame blast etc
If You you dont want to copy TF2 Pyro, flame hero can use like "semiautomatic flame rifle"
What if not magic is Hanzo shooting a Dragon out of his arm. The doors are open Blizz just has to step through it