Overwatch will ban you for youtube comments...

General Discussion
01/28/2018 01:04 AMPosted by Quasidrake
this encroachment into social media to enforce rules of wrongthink
Literally not what's happening.

Can we at least lose our minds over facts?
Take the tin foil hat off.

Blizzard has infinitely better things to do rather than scrolling through your post history. There is nothing special about you in the millions of OW players. Unless of course, you give them reason to think you are special.

No really, Blizzard really couldnt care less about what you do unless you do something REALLY stupid and it gets brought up to their attention.

They have a whole list of better things to do, like, I dunno, making money.
They can take actions only on stuff that happened in the game and has been recorded (so they can check it with their tools). What you have been doing on social media realy doesn't concerns them if it happens oustide the game.
01/28/2018 03:42 AMPosted by AdunSaveMe
01/28/2018 01:04 AMPosted by Quasidrake
this encroachment into social media to enforce rules of wrongthink
Literally not what's happening.

Can we at least lose our minds over facts?
I mean to be fair, last time people said “you’re misinterpreting what they said calm down”

The off meta players were purged by the automatic reporting system
01/28/2018 12:19 AMPosted by AdunSaveMe
01/28/2018 12:16 AMPosted by Quasidrake
Why are we not talking about THIS?
We are. People have already explained multiple times why the "they'll ban you for comments lol" meme is nothing more than a misconstrued twisting of words made up to spark controversy for the sake of it.

Yea. Sure.

Blizz defenders said the same thing about people getting banned for playing off meta. I don't think we deny that anymore, at least I'd hope.

Given the Fact they demonstrated their incompetence time and time again, OP's concerns are absolutely valid.
I'm pretty sure Jeff was just trying to send a subtle warning to xqc that his stream is being watched and they aren't going to take any of his crap.
You complain about them tracking down people but will still want streamers to get banned for something they said to their audience (not other players in the game).
Why would Blizzard go out of their way to ban a random guy commenting on one of Logan Paul's vlogs saying "you big gay"..

Also how would they link that YouTube channel to a Battle net account anyways
Think of it like this.

1. Blizzard employee watches a youtube/twitch video and notices someone being extremely toxic.

2. Employee goes on to find out the battle.net id of the offender by cross-checking name with in-game stats.

3. Have a look through chat logs to see if this has been going on for a while and the severity of it.

4. If warranted,the employee manually punishes that player if the system hasn't already done so while the exact punishment depends on the severity of offenders toxicity and whether or not his already been punished in the past.

That's the very basic premise of what they're doing.
Who asked for this versus how many asked for faster balancing patches?!
I swear it's starting to get easier to be banned for things you do outside of the game than it is to be banned for things you do in it.
You best behave or Papa Kap gonna get ya.
It was creepy. We aint their employees, we consumers-- but now they going to be spying on social media to see if they can pre-ban you.
<span class="truncated">...</span>We are. People have already explained multiple times why the "they'll ban you for comments lol" meme is nothing more than a misconstrued twisting of words made up to spark controversy for the sake of it.

Yea. Sure.

Blizz defenders said the same thing about people getting banned for playing off meta. I don't think we deny that anymore, at least I'd hope.

Given the Fact they demonstrated their incompetence time and time again, OP's concerns are absolutely valid.

No, they aren't valid. If Blizzard banned people for comments made at YouTube or other outside sites, they would lose any lawsuits fast as hell. Period. At that point they are violating 1st Amendment rights. So, you think the legal team at Blizzard would greenlight such actions?

And correlating such actions with off-meta autobans is a total apples vs oranges scenario. Off-meta autobans are based on an action taken in the game. Making comments on any outside social media is beyond the purview of the game, the ToS, and anything else Blizzard has legal authority over.

Seriously people, step back into reality for a moment.
To Quote Jeff Kaplan.. and pay attention to the highlighted words.
“We now proactively seek out social media sites like YouTube, for example, and look for incidents of very toxic behavior and track down the accounts that are participating in those and action them, oftentimes before anybody’s even reported them or they’ve shown up in any other place. That’s just one example of us being proactive that I think is going to make a big difference over time.”

Why are we not talking about THIS?

Potentially this puts all players at risk of unjust bans. Our Memes, Our Inside jokes with friends, our rants, our moments of weakness in engaging with a troll... Any one of these activities on Reddit, Tumblr, Youtube , Places where Blizzard has no right to be invading our freedom of speech and opinion will be scrutinised as if we're in the middle of a game.. and anything they (whoever the hell they appoint to perform this job) deem to be "Toxic" is going to affect us players in the exact same way.

I hate using the term as its been done to death, but this reeks to high heaven of SJW agendas being forced down the throats of players. Its Wrongthink in its worst incarnation and its wielding a Ban hammer for Me and All of you. From Japan to California, To London, Russia and Seoul and everywhere in between.

I'm fine with Blizzard setting down etiquette rules in the Game and on the Forums, its their right and we the players have to expect it... but i resent having my freedom to speak my mind silenced with my Gaming account held to ransom

You want a topic to turn into a Megathread?
You want something this community should be united against and talking about?
You want something the OW-Team needs to address?

Here it is.

Because anybody with 2 braincells that can read, and understand, it is not what your claiming it is...
Simple question here... DO YOU ADD YOUR COMPLETE BATTLETAG TO YOUR COMMENTS ALL OVER THE WEB??? if not, shut up, and get a clue. People really should try and use brains before going ape sh##...
hyperbole is fail.

they are looking for toxic behavior on things like streams. derp.
Ironic how you say

pay attention to the highlighted words.

Yet you paid no attention to them.

“We now proactively seek out social media sites like YouTube, for example, and look for incidents of very toxic behavior and track down the accounts that are participating in those and action them, oftentimes before anybody’s even reported them or they’ve shown up in any other place. That’s just one example of us being proactive that I think is going to make a big difference over time.”

specifically

track down the accounts that are participating in those
Mr. Kaplan is clearly referencing video content, not YouTube comments.
This is more so banning players who do things like throwing on streams or things like when xqc was sending f u reports or people like steevo doing bronze to gm runs or general smurfing for the purpose of trolling