Advice For Getting Into Plat

Competitive Discussion
Hello all, I've been stuck in gold since season four, and I can't seem to do anything about it. This season alone, I've been one win from Plat four times, and yet I can never seem to cross the threshold, regardless of how many people I have in my group or what role I play. Normally, I play tank and support. Is there anyone or anything out there that might be able to help me out?
Duo Q or 3stack.

If you have to Yolo Q play Roadhog or Moira, pretty well-rounded heroes who don't depend much on their team yet can do a lot of work.
My advice is 3 rules:

1. Master a DPS character and play them until you reach about 2800 SR then expand your hero pool
2. Use a mic and make call outs
3. Don't be toxic to teammates
I appreciate the feedback, the only problem with DPS heroes is that most games I end up with a minimum of three on my team.
Pharah is so overpower at gold rank it is not even funny. If you can aim with her then she will take you out of gold. She is even overpower at diamond, ez
01/28/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Khajiit02
I appreciate the feedback, the only problem with DPS heroes is that most games I end up with a minimum of three on my team.

Yeah it's tough but you'll still have a better chance of winning if you carry with DPS than you would playing Mercy for 3 trash DPS. If the DPS on your team ends up being really good then that's when you could flex because you know they are doing their job. And flexing is cool and all but if no one on the other team is dying then it doesn't matter what you're comp is. I climbed from 2900SR to 3400+ SR solo queing Hanzo. I've been in hundreds of games where we have 4DPS but still end up winning because I carried them. And sometimes it happens the other way around, when people see me doing really good then they end up flexing. As long as you got 1 tank and 1 healer you have a real chance of winning(if no one is throwing of course). And if people get toxic "oh wow why do we have 4 DPS" then just say "Lets try it and see how it works, we can switch it up if need be". Just gotta stay positive. Pharah & Soilder are the easiest DPS to get good with I would adivise starting with them if you dont have a go-to DPS
Tracer and Mei are my best DPS. Although this sounds backwards, Soldier is my worst.
01/28/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Khajiit02
Tracer and Mei are my best DPS. Although this sounds backwards, Soldier is my worst.
So play Tracer, if you can master her she's very OP and can carry. Watch the pros play tracer to see they're play style and decision making. I'm trash with Tracer so I can't really provide any valid tips for her on my end.
I see you play on Xbox. If you want, add me "Rick From C132" that's my 2nd account it's at 2800. I'll play Tank or Support for you if you want to Duo, I need practice with those roles.
The biggest improvement I made to consistently be able to get into Platinum rank is *positioning*

Example:

- I used to play soldier and constantly be caught in front of Reinhardt shield thinking I was playing Call of Duty
- I used to play Genji and be in the front lines without any shield or protection
- Literally all heroes I would be caught out in the open without a friendly shield

Fix those issues and I promise you, you'll go into plat. Also play with nearby COVER at ALL TIMES. This will save you a ton

Lastly, be sure to group up at all times and try to avoid playing into your counters.
Everyone here is wrong about just play dps blah blah ....just get really good at DVA. TRUST MEEEEE

I see you main DVA.... you need to analyze your gameplay and watch streamers who help teach ... I learned a lot from manofsnow.

If you are stuck in gold with DVA you are making plenty of mistakes. It is your job to understand them and change them. Target prioritization and positioning. Game sense Ect
01/28/2018 10:38 AMPosted by tommytoprock
Everyone here is wrong about just play dps blah blah ....just get really good at DVA. TRUST MEEEEE

I see you main DVA.... you need to analyze your gameplay and watch streamers who help teach ... I learned a lot from manofsnow.

If you are stuck in gold with DVA you are making plenty of mistakes. It is your job to understand them and change them. Target prioritization and positioning. Game sense Ect

I understand what you are saying. I have over 45 hours on D.va, however, while she can dive and pick isolated targets with ease, when it comes to team fights, unless the team is coordinated, she can be taken out of the fight almost instantaneously. On her own, she cannot (ussually) engage multiple (good) players and come out on top. D.va has the largest critical hit spot in the game.

I mean idk how I'm wrong when It worked for me solo-queing DPS lol. Im giving advice based off how I jumped 500+ SR. Doesn't mean it's the only way but it deff worked
01/28/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Jbird

I mean idk how I'm wrong when It worked for me solo-queing DPS lol. Im giving advice based off how I jumped 500+ SR. Doesn't mean it's the only way but it deff worked

Yea that’s only going to work for people with very good mechanical skill and game sense. The people stuck in gold aren’t going to have amazing mechanics to climb with dps like you did. Well the majority.
01/28/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Khajiit02

I understand what you are saying. I have over 45 hours on D.va, however, while she can dive and pick isolated targets with ease, when it comes to team fights, unless the team is coordinated, she can be taken out of the fight almost instantaneously. On her own, she cannot (ussually) engage multiple (good) players and come out on top. D.va has the largest critical hit spot in the game.

I don’t think you understand how DVA should be played. You don’t always need to be diving in. DVA is very good at punishing people who are out of position just like Roadhog is.

DVA is also very strong at protecting the team from large bursts of damage. As DVA it is your job to be constantly determining where you need to be .... when to push when to protect when to dive a target Ect.
01/28/2018 11:33 AMPosted by tommytoprock
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yea that’s only going to work for people with very good mechanical skill and game sense. The people stuck in gold aren’t going to have amazing mechanics to climb with dps like you did. Well the majority.

That's true, we all gotta start somewhere though. Growing up I was always a sniper player whether it was COD/Battlefied/Halo etc... So it didn't take much for me to progress with my accuracy in Overwatch. Just gotta keep practicing though. I have a little cousin who was stuck in silver and I told him to master a DPS to climb out and so he did and was able to get up to 3200 with Genji. Lol yes he was one of the stereotypical 10 year old Genji mains but it worked out for him. Also to add on, one of my friends was stuck at 1800 cause he was flexing and I told him to main a DPS and now hes at 2300 because he mains Soldier now. Just depends on play-style of course but I agree that D.va is a great character to climb with as well
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That's true, we all gotta start somewhere though. Growing up I was always a sniper player whether it was COD/Battlefied/Halo etc... So it didn't take much for me to progress with my accuracy in Overwatch. Just gotta keep practicing though. I have a little cousin who was stuck in silver and I told him to master a DPS to climb out and so he did and was able to get up to 3200 with Genji. Lol yes he was one of the stereotypical 10 year old Genji mains but it worked out for him. Also to add on, one of my friends was stuck at 1800 cause he was flexing and I told him to main a DPS and now hes at 2300 because he mains Soldier now. Just depends on play-style of course but I agree that D.va is a great character to climb with as well

Oh wow that’s awesome! Hmmm so maybe the key is finding out what character and playstye each individual person is good at. For me I think I have better game sense then mechanics so I’m better at characters that require more brain .... so let’s say DVA, Monkey and Orisa. My mechanics are decent tho as far as tracking so I’m pretty good at Zarya and Soldier too.

This is going to be different for every single person. Sounds like you are a nutty sniper!
What helped me coming from low low silver, maining soldier (can be other hero's with self sustain), turned of all forms of coms, last but not least: I started looking at it as farming sr. I just set a goal for 100sr and move on from there.
01/28/2018 11:36 AMPosted by tommytoprock
01/28/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Khajiit02

I don’t think you understand how DVA should be played. You don’t always need to be diving in. DVA is very good at punishing people who are out of position just like Roadhog is.

DVA is also very strong at protecting the team from large bursts of damage. As DVA it is your job to be constantly determining where you need to be .... when to push when to protect when to dive a target Ect.

Yes, I agree with you. My previous response was worded as such because I thought you were referring to carrying the team and that it was entirely my fault I could not climb. I apologise for the misunderstanding.
01/28/2018 11:47 AMPosted by tommytoprock

Oh wow that’s awesome! Hmmm so maybe the key is finding out what character and playstye each individual person is good at. For me I think I have better game sense then mechanics so I’m better at characters that require more brain .... so let’s say DVA, Monkey and Orisa. My mechanics are decent tho as far as tracking so I’m pretty good at Zarya and Soldier too.

This is going to be different for every single person. Sounds like you are a nutty sniper!

My goal is to be the Wraxu of Xbox haha, I made it up to Rank #6 with Hanzo on Xbox. Currently I'm ranked #12 with him.