Where are the girls in Overwatch League??

General Discussion
Stop. This !@#$ already destroyed the MTG community, don't bring it here. There's many biological & chemical reasons girls don't like to play competitively.
I mean there are more...

KittyKathee: Plays a variety of heroes like mercy and tracer

Rammy: T500 Lucio

EeveeA: T500 support player

Queen E: GM Support/Tank flex

Oasis: An Australian Mercy main, sometimes plays Ana or Lucio

Diamond-Silver

Opulent Neptune: Plat comp/qp player, who plays a fair amount of support heroes.

Kaitlyn: She’s been playing a lot of McCree lately. Usually plays within mid-silver, but her aim as a DPS is impeccable. Also variety streams while studying because she’s a student. 

There are probs lots more but idk I just wanna see at least one there y'know??

But I do feel bad for Geguri and all the pressure being put on her. I now regret using her name but she is the most famous of pro girl gamers.
01/13/2018 10:04 AMPosted by VirgoBro96
Stop. This !@#$ already destroyed the MTG community, don't bring it here. There's many biological & chemical reasons girls don't like to play competitively.

??? Biological? What does that even have to do with it?
01/13/2018 06:37 AMPosted by Anna
Because I guess some are not good enough?
It's not an issue of sexism. It doesn't offend me.
As someone said on the forums, as long as there is equality of opportunity, it's fine. The teams should consist of the best players, rather than shove in different sexes for the sake of diversity points.

I can understand that. Idk I just feel like girls should get a chance. I don't want handouts but something. Cause girls get put down on this sort of thing.
of all the people you mentioned none of them are good enough for owl as if they were they wouldve been picked up by a team.
01/13/2018 10:04 AMPosted by VirgoBro96
There's many biological & chemical reasons girls don't like to play competitively.
Please for the sake of everyone here, stop embarrassing yourself.
Team Siren.

Need I say more?
01/14/2018 09:49 AMPosted by mymkin
01/13/2018 06:37 AMPosted by Anna
Because I guess some are not good enough?
It's not an issue of sexism. It doesn't offend me.
As someone said on the forums, as long as there is equality of opportunity, it's fine. The teams should consist of the best players, rather than shove in different sexes for the sake of diversity points.

I can understand that. Idk I just feel like girls should get a chance. I don't want handouts but something. Cause girls get put down on this sort of thing.

Girls do get a chance. AFAIK, quite a few girls tried out but just didn't have the skill for it. I don't think that's sexism. I don't get offended if I don't see a fellow girl on OWL.
Isn't EeveeA a Mercy one-trick? While Mercy is currently meta, she won't be for season 2, so where does that leave her (the player) on a team?
01/14/2018 09:38 AMPosted by mymkin
I mean there are more...

KittyKathee: Plays a variety of heroes like mercy and tracer

Rammy: T500 Lucio

EeveeA: T500 support player

Queen E: GM Support/Tank flex

Oasis: An Australian Mercy main, sometimes plays Ana or Lucio

Diamond-Silver

Opulent Neptune: Plat comp/qp player, who plays a fair amount of support heroes.

Kaitlyn: She’s been playing a lot of McCree lately. Usually plays within mid-silver, but her aim as a DPS is impeccable. Also variety streams while studying because she’s a student. 

There are probs lots more but idk I just wanna see at least one there y'know??

But I do feel bad for Geguri and all the pressure being put on her. I now regret using her name but she is the most famous of pro girl gamers.

mentioning pub diamond-low gm players lmao. I don't think you understand how huge the gap is
01/13/2018 06:10 AMPosted by mymkin
Ever since the Overwatch World Cup I've been wondering where the top girl gamers are, and with Overwatch League here I'm starting to sense a serious gender divide. I hate that the people in charge of one of my favorite games, celebrated for its amazing competitive play and character diversity, are completely ignoring female players in esports. The top Zarya player in the world, Geguri, is a girl!! Dva in the game is also a pro gamer. I have a whole list of girls who are seriously pro at the game whose names never came to light because Blizzard gives them no credit. You think Overwatch would support girl gamers without having to be asked. Why are ladies being excluded?

You gave Blizzard 40 bucks just to repost a bait thread? EZ money.

For starters, all of these troll threads where people are like "why no girls?" assume that a whole bunch of women (I believe that's what they're called) tried out, were better than their male counterparts and were rejected because they were females. That's a whole lot of assumptions with ZERO evidence to support them.

This is just to humor this thread, because the majority of these are intentional troll threads...but before you rant about "no girls" first you would need to know how many female gamers tried out for OWL and what their performance was compared to the other gamers who tried out.

Not to mention, while it's great that people can provide examples of how so-and-so is the best at X hero, a good team needs someone who is the best at a LOT of heroes.

Also, OP is "starting to sense" a gender divide in esports? Ermagerds, esports dominated by young males, alert the presses, shocking expose, news at 11!

And as long as we're talking about diversity, young white American males are also under-represented in OWL as well. Oh the humanity, the travesty, the downright duplicity!
Isn't there one on dallas fuel?
Geguri plays the offtank/flextank role, which is one of the positions that demands the most versatility. However, she plays a good Zarya and Dva only for the most part. In addition, she only speaks Korean which means she could only communicate with her entire team if she played for Seoul, London or NY. These teams brought in their existing tank/offtank pairs for the most part.

There are plenty of offtanks with much more pro experience than her who didn't get OWL spots, like Zappis, Emongg, Hoon and Harbleu. There were only a theoretical 24 spots (in practice fewer) and at the moment she doesn't quite deserve the spot. However, she is only 18 and I am sure she will get in further down the line especially if the number of teams increases. If she learns English and gets better on Roadhog, Soldier and Junkrat she will be in a better spot. What she doesn't need (or want by all accounts) is people using her to push their own agenda.
First of all, geguri is far from being the top zarya in the world. It's not because blizzard is sexist, they dont even put together the OWL teams. It's just that adding a girl to a team adds a lot of complications, and men are generally more competitive so more men go pro than women.
Considering it costs $20,000,000+ for a team to buy into the overwatch league we shouldn't expect to see too much diversity or anything interesting.

I would say look to third party competitions but Blizzard effectively killed them out of greed
Blizzard will eventually put in place a gender quota that OWL teams will have to fulfill. Mark my words.
Why don't we assume the worst and just pull the sexism card while we don't know for fact that there wasn't women who have been offered positions on teams and declined them (or didnt apply to be on teams at all.)

next we'll get- "Why is there not a trans person on any team?"

Can we just stop pointless witch hunting please.
Look at it this way, OWL is a super competitive environment. You will take any and all advantages you can to win in that scenario. Girl or not, if they're good enough they will get picked in order to win the most.

That's why they always use dive (or pirateship on Junkertown) because it's the most powerful comp right now.