Major FPS drop since 23 Jan 2018

Technical Support
1 2 3 7 Next
For some reason I just got hit with major FPS drop.

I have 1080,
6700k,
Temps are fine.
The usual stuff is up to date (drivers etc.)

Yesterday everything was normal.
I usually play the game on Ultra with limited 150 FPS because I got 144Hz screen
but now my FPS drop to 60-70 for no reason.
The game is unplayable on a 144Hz screen with 60-70 FPS...

Mod Note: Moving this to Tech Support so it can get the attention it needs.
Did the clean install of drivers again,
Repaired Overwatch,

Still the same problem...
01/23/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Mj711

I have 1080,
6700k,
Temps are fine.

I usually play the game on Ultra with limited 150 FPS because I got 144Hz screen
I am having problems to , first game after patch FPS took a dive and my PNG has tripled , called e net provider nothing has changed did speed tests every normal .....
So if you have intel it may be because of the security hole

Intel had a security hole windows had to patch which will lower the effiecency of every intel processor by an estimated 5-35%
01/24/2018 04:55 AMPosted by Nova

Intel had a security hole windows had to patch which will lower the effiecency of every intel processor by an estimated 5-35%

The actual benchmarks are alot lower his CPU is a Skylake which is only 1 gen old which means his drop is about 1% it won't cause an FPS drop of that magnitude.

Didn't Microsoft stop those updates because they were bricking computers?
Im having the same problem but closing chrome seems to fix it
This happens every 1-2 patches. Usually the big ones. It's an 'uncommon' problem but still a problem nevertheless. It settles down for me after a few days/ a week after the patch. It isn't garaunteed but that's how it usually works for me and my friend.
Download the latest Nvidia driver installer for your card, but don't install right away.

Remove all Nvidia drivers by downloading Display Driver Uninstaller, restarting in safe mode, and running DDU. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Restart back into safe mode again, run the Nvidia installer. Select custom or advanced or whatever, and deselect EVERYTHING except for the essentials: display driver, audio driver, and PhysX if it's listed.

Make sure not to install 3D or VR or anything like that. Unless you have a VR headset, this is a heavy addition that will eat FPS for no reason. Make sure not to install GeForce experience either. This is a useless program that creates a hidden overlay over all your games. All it adds is the ability to start video capture from within the games. Even when you're not using the overlay, a significant amount of resources is spent on rendering it in the background and listening in for the keyboard shortcut to activate it.

The only other purposes this app serves is auto updating your drivers, and a single place to set video options for all games. You can do the updates yourself from time to time, and it's better that way because Nvidia never properly cleans out old drivers, so running DDU every time you update is much cleaner. Video options you can set yourself from within each game/

Anyways, I had this app on my computer, and one day after an update, I lost 20FPS. When I uninstalled everything following those instructions and reinstalled without all the extra crap including VR, it not only restored the 20FPS the latest update had taken from me, it gave me another 40FPS I didn't know I'd lost, because I installed this crap when I first got my 980ti.

Vanilla drivers are so light in comparison, I will never go back. I hope this is your issue, because it's very easy to solve if it is.

Okay. Lemme bring you up to speed on these flaws. Not just Intel is effected.

First, this flaw has been around for some time, His problems started Jan 23 (yesterday)

Spectre flaw effects every Intel processor in the last 20 years

Meltdown flaw effects Intel, ARM, and AMD processors (Or vice versa)

Article for reference:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-01-04/intel-chip-flaw-a-security-threat/9303280

I have 1080,
6700k,
Temps are fine.

Turn 'reduce buffering' off, apply, then turn it back on. I had to so this after the update dropped, too, from 180ish FPS to 70-90 in a fight... I felt like I was in slow motion lol.
same problem after the new patch

There are absolutely no problems with that.
Problems started right after the patch, same night as the patch hit the live server.
did you try upgrading your computer???? i mean.... kinda has to be done
01/24/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Greenche
Download the latest Nvidia driver installer for your card, but don't install right away.

Remove all Nvidia drivers by downloading Display Driver Uninstaller, restarting in safe mode, and running DDU. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Restart back into safe mode again, run the Nvidia installer. Select custom or advanced or whatever, and deselect EVERYTHING except for the essentials: display driver, audio driver, and PhysX if it's listed.

Make sure not to install 3D or VR or anything like that. Unless you have a VR headset, this is a heavy addition that will eat FPS for no reason. Make sure not to install GeForce experience either. This is a useless program that creates a hidden overlay over all your games. All it adds is the ability to start video capture from within the games. Even when you're not using the overlay, a significant amount of resources is spent on rendering it in the background and listening in for the keyboard shortcut to activate it.

The only other purposes this app serves is auto updating your drivers, and a single place to set video options for all games. You can do the updates yourself from time to time, and it's better that way because Nvidia never properly cleans out old drivers, so running DDU every time you update is much cleaner. Video options you can set yourself from within each game/

Anyways, I had this app on my computer, and one day after an update, I lost 20FPS. When I uninstalled everything following those instructions and reinstalled without all the extra crap including VR, it not only restored the 20FPS the latest update had taken from me, it gave me another 40FPS I didn't know I'd lost, because I installed this crap when I first got my 980ti.

Vanilla drivers are so light in comparison, I will never go back. I hope this is your issue, because it's very easy to solve if it is.

I know about that, thx for the info.
I even tried 2 older drivers but nope, still performance is lower.

This never happened before with Overwatch.

Every single other game is fine.
01/24/2018 04:08 PMPosted by Laamea
did you try upgrading your computer???? i mean.... kinda has to be done

Not sure if you are legit clueless or trolling, still thank for the "recommendation"... Pretty sure that is not the problem here.

But the performance is even bad on 3 different computers.

Testet CPUs: amd8350, i7-6700k and i5-7700.
Testet GPUs: 1080, 290x and integrated i7.

Mixed all CPUs with the 2 standalone GPUs and the performance dip is everywhere.

Pre-patch the game ran perfectly.
01/24/2018 06:42 AMPosted by TSŬYU

I have 1080,
6700k,
Temps are fine.

Turn 'reduce buffering' off, apply, then turn it back on. I had to so this after the update dropped, too, from 180ish FPS to 70-90 in a fight... I felt like I was in slow motion lol.

Interesting, will try this tomorrow.
Will post result.
01/24/2018 06:12 AMPosted by ImJoosh
Im having the same problem but closing chrome seems to fix it

I always have my chrome opened on the second screen, it is just weird for that to be the problem now but it was not a problem since release.

Will try to play without chrome for some time and post results

(Even though that beats the purpose of my second monitor...)
i've been getting FPS drops as well.

i usually always have 107+ FPS, but now it randomly drops to 50.