Simple scatter arrow nerf

General Discussion
Why not just reduce the damage so it doesn’t one-shot heroes? That way it can still kill low-health enemies around the corner or damage tanks. Since it’ll take away the ability to one-shot heroes, it’ll actually take skill and aim to, let’s say:

Scatter -> enemy gets half health -> land regular shot to kill

Instead of just one instakill scatter.

(Tbh I don’t like this idea since I love playing Hanzo but I’m just putting it out there)
I like the idea honestly, cuz Scatter Arrow is very OP in my eyes. Can easily kill any hero that isn't tank in one go, and can kill slightly wounded tanks.

The question is, due to Blizzard "reworking" Hanzo, wanting to see how they'll fix Scatter Arrow or replace it entirely, most likely the latter.
Without compensations? I'd rather have it buffed to 150 damage per shard then.
I posted this on another Hanzo suggestion thread: (your ideas is fine as well)

"My solution is for the damage to be toned down so it still kills squishies but not tanks.
Lower the damage to 250 or so. Nothing will change other than Hanzo not being able to 1 shot tanks anymore.
If Hanzo players are against this then it means they do want to 1 shot tanks and not just squishies.

Why do you need to one shot tanks, and why do you need an ability on a 10 second cooldown to do more damage than Doomfist and Tracers ULT?

"Because other than scatter he isnt viable" isnt an excuse.
Ive seen good hanzos wreck with aiming and constant headshots. Not just relying on floorshots.
Hanzos that rely only on scatter are the bad Hanzos. Get better at the Hero."
You'd need a major cooldown reduction to compensate, or maybe multiple charges.

01/27/2018 10:54 AMPosted by DVS
Ive seen good hanzos wreck with aiming and constant headshots. Not just relying on floorshots.
That's like saying we should get rid of flashbang because good mccrees can get kills without it.
Just make it split twice, first to 3 shards, then to 6. Same damage on all of them.

Shoot at their feet=225 damage. Bounce through a hallway=same damage as now.

Solves everything easily.
01/27/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Dalas120
You'd need a major cooldown reduction to compensate, or maybe multiple charges.

That's like saying we should get rid of flashbang because good mccrees can get kills without it.

Nobody is saying to get rid of scatter. Even if they get rid of scatter they are going to replace it with something else.

I'd be all for them getting rid of flash bang if they replace it with something else. Flashbang as it is now is not 100% reliable anyways.
"My solution is for the damage to be toned down so it still kills squishies but not tanks.
Lower the damage to 250 or so. Nothing will change other than Hanzo not being able to 1 shot tanks anymore.
If Hanzo players are against this then it means they do want to 1 shot tanks and not just squishies.
Hold your horses.

It changes a lot for Hanzo and I'll explain you why not because I'm against a nerf (with due compensation) but because ppl using this argument always seem to ignore a major fact: Scatter Arrow has a spread and DPS character hitboxes are a lot smaller than Tanks which means that 2-3 shards can miss the enemy DPS quite easily and if you need to hit all of those to kill a Mei/Reaper or 4 to one-hit a Tracer (who usually gets hit by 2 max anyway) then Hanzo has lost a lot of raw power and a lot of reasons to use it on things that aren't Tanks in order to go for the full damage.

So a simple number nerf should come with a lot of other changes in order to make up for the incredibly high loss of damage and retailation power. If Helix Rockets would hit for as much as 2 headshots from S76 primary fire then it wouldn't make sense for it to have a CD to begin with.
I just played a match as Winston and the opponent Hanzo killed me full HP twice with Scatter arrow. I know I was full HP since the Mercy ressurected me...
I've been thinking it over and thought of the idea, what if it's initial damage per arrow is lowered, but each bounce allows it to do more damage per arrow? Say, for example, it starts at about 30-40 damage apiece, only able to one-hit squishies and low-health heroes. As it bounces, each arrow will ramp up to eventually be around 80-100 per arrow, being more consistent at finishing off heroes it hallways and around corners, like the ability was originally intended to do. I like the ability, even when not playing Hanzo, so I'd rather see a compromise like this rather than see it removed completely.
01/27/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Wolfatrix
I just played a match as Winston and the opponent Hanzo killed me full HP twice with Scatter arrow. I know I was full HP since the Mercy ressurected me...
Fat lie (unless Hanzo was empowered or you were under Zan orb effect). WInston has more than 450 HP (because of armor) and Scatter can't kill you.
Hold your horses.

It changes a lot for Hanzo and I'll explain you why not because I'm against a nerf (with due compensation) but because ppl using this argument always seem to ignore a major fact: Scatter Arrow has a spread and DPS character hitboxes are a lot smaller than Tanks which means that 2-3 shards can easily miss the enemy DPS quite easily and if you need to hit all of those to kill a Mei/Reaper or 4 to one-hit a Tracer (who usually gets hit by 2 max anyway) then Hanzo has lost a lot of raw power and a lot of reasons to use it on things that aren't Tanks in order to go for the full damage.

So a simple number nerf should come with a lot of other changes in order to make up for the incredibly high loss of damage and retailation power. If Helix Rockets would hit for as much as 2 headshots from S76 primary fire then it wouldn't make sense for it to have a CD to begin with.

So you want an ability that will kill 100%?(even if only Squishies)
Why is this fair and why should this be a thing?
01/27/2018 10:47 AMPosted by LoseUrself2D
Why not just reduce the damage so it doesn’t one-shot heroes? That way it can still kill low-health enemies around the corner or damage tanks. Since it’ll take away the ability to one-shot heroes, it’ll actually take skill and aim to, let’s say:

Scatter -> enemy gets half health -> land regular shot to kill

Instead of just one instakill scatter.

(Tbh I don’t like this idea since I love playing Hanzo but I’m just putting it out there)

Completely agree. Over-thinking is what caused the current mercy drama. If you're Hanzo and you body shot someone who the runs around a corner you should reasonably be able to finish them with your scatter. But the ability to one shot orisa is pretty silly. Therefore the most logical solution is a simple damage reduction. But now they're discussing replacement abilities.
01/27/2018 11:09 AMPosted by DVS

So you want an ability that will kill 100%?(even if only Squishies)
Why is this fair and why should this be a thing?
Excuse me.. Why is it unfair for a guy who only has damage and a vision buff to have a CD ability bound to a arcing projectile weapon with enough damage to instakill a Tracer (or any 200 HP Hero) if he gets it in a rather small area around her? Especially with the mobility most of those ppl have.
Scatter arrow shouldn't be able to kill a full health Zarya or Orisa, but it should be able to kill a full health squishy if aimed correctly. Reducing the total damage of it slightly should be good enough.
01/27/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Alexarius
01/27/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Wolfatrix
Fat lie (unless Hanzo was empowered or you were under Zan orb effect). WInston has more than 450 HP (because of armor) and Scatter can't kill you.
I don't only have that to do lying on forum and you were not in the game to judge what happened. Maybe I was not full HP but I was pretty high health, that's for sure.
Swap cooldowns over for both utility arrows.
Sonar Arrow then helps the team more often and Hanzo becomes a viable team player for a reason.
Scatter Arrow becomes a less use utility and therefore "nerfs" it.
01/28/2018 10:06 AMPosted by Sotanaht
If scatter didn't oneshot why would you ever use it? It's easier to land a bodyshot than a scatter, and you have a chance of accidentally headshotting when you do.
If scatter didn't oneshot why would you ever use it? It's easier to land a bodyshot than a scatter, and you have a chance of accidentally headshotting when you do.
I would be fine if there was a damage cap for a single target.
Edit: I should have elaborated more. I mean that scatter arrow should have a damage cap of 250 so he can still one shot lower health targets but not tanks or Bastion, especially in his sentry mode.