Offline Competitive Permanent Mode

General Discussion
I am kind of annoyed with Quickplay since every game is 5 dps and one tank or one healer. I end up always being healer (i enjoy it) or tank. But playing Quick Play does not help improve my skills. And playing competitive while trying new methods and characters will cost me games which i dont want to inflict or hinder anyone else.

Would people be up for a Competitive mode where people ACTUALLY want to play like a competitive style game without the pressure of competitive and the trolls and bad compositions of Quick Play?
I would like it, I hate going into QP matches because no one tries but I always want to warm up before comp and sometimes I just want to play for fun -- but then you get the throwers, the ones refusing to work as a team, trolls, and people who want to practice heroes they're not good at (which is fine in QP). Issue being is that those people are almost always a detriment to the team thanks to your MMR believing you're trying and playing people you're decent at, and so you typically lose.

I realize this is an issue for both teams, but I'm sure you've all seen a match where your team (or theirs) had a thrower or troll and yours didn't. It isn't always even, and it's much less fun.
At this point I’ll take anything, that isn’t toxic, I can get my hands on.
Why not just play comp? People would be just as toxic in the new mode, plus you'll only lose like 25 SR at most for a loss.
I'm sure lots of folks would love such a game mode, but there's no way to enforce it. The leavers/throwers/griefers would just move to the new comp queue and it'd be QP all over again.
01/23/2018 07:27 AMPosted by ColinthePyro
Why not just play comp? People would be just as toxic in the new mode, plus you'll only lose like 25 SR at most for a loss.
I would like to state that you will lose max 30

I got 3 wins and 3 losses and my net SR was a 20SR loss.

But to the point, It does make the game less fun unless you are six stacking because you end up losing far more often than not when playing QP. I genuinely wouldn't play comp with Mccree because I am very bad with him, so i would not go on Comp to practice. I would do so in QP, but if your team comp consists of (widow, genji, junk, hanzo, soldier, zen). Your survivability rate is extremely Low. especially if you are up against a team with a tank and a healer or two healers. Or a good enough comp.

My point is, I find it hard to practice my weak heroes if the QP team composition is very weak or the toxicity and level of throwers is high.

I don't mind people playing hanzo, or other characters, but at least having a comp mode which is offline, it would maybe attract those more serious players and having a QP mode for those who just want to josh around.

01/23/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Dav
I'm sure lots of folks would love such a game mode, but there's no way to enforce it. The leavers/throwers/griefers would just move to the new comp queue and it'd be QP all over again.

That is my biggest fear, since when Season is over and it is truly offline Comp mode, people just do as they do in QP.

Only way around it is six stacking, and people have lives than to atune to when YOU want to play, so you will never have a six-stack all the time when you are online.
I'd rather they change Quickplay so that, if you lose, you don't get any xp and winning gives you double the xp it gives you currently. Maybe that way people would actually try to win, since losing is just a waste of everyone's time.
Right now, winning or losing still gets you stuff and that way QP feels like a "just for fun" mode, but the arcade should fill that role, shouldn't it?
They could add a "Double or Nothing" mode to fill this role, but I think that would dilute the player pools for each mode even more.
01/23/2018 07:37 AMPosted by Berwalch
I'd rather they change Quickplay so that, if you lose, you don't get any xp and winning gives you double the xp it gives you currently. Maybe that way people would actually try to win, since losing is just a waste of everyone's time.
Right now, winning or losing still gets you stuff and that way QP feels like a "just for fun" mode, but the arcade should fill that role, shouldn't it?
They could add a "Double or Nothing" mode to fill this role, but I think that would dilute the player pools for each mode even more.

I like this idea, but instead of double or nothing, make it so you gain 175% xp if you win and only 25% xp if you lose, this way, nothing seems like a waste of time BUT enforces people to win.

This could be a mode in Arcade regardless. I like the idea
I gave up and just play competitive like old quickplay when people tried at least a little. Stop caring about SR and just queue and play.
Honestly, I feel like the devs got comp right the first time.

The original idea for Competitive was that you could only play comp as a full stack of 6, and rather than getting an individual ranking, your 6-stack received a single ranking. This instantly eliminates many of the problems with SR, like people trying to boost their SR through selfish play, or people getting constantly stuck with bad teammates.

Of course, the big problem with this method is that it would make it difficult for many people to play comp at all. You'd need to find some people and form a team, then stick with that same team, which would probably be fairly hard for most. I think you could probably work with this system a little bit to increase usability, for example you'd obviously allow teams to have more than 6 players, so you can still play if someone is unavailable, and of course people could recruit via the forums or maybe some kind of in-game find party system or something, but it's true that many people would probably stick to Quick Play instead, though IMO that's fine. Right now, QP and Comp are basically the same, QP is just "comp where no one cares", which isn't necessarily optimal, I think it would be better if they offered a more fundamentally different experience.
i like how one person downvoted EVERY message
01/23/2018 07:40 AMPosted by SirReasoner
I like this idea, but instead of double or nothing, make it so you gain 175% xp if you win and only 25% xp if you lose, this way, nothing seems like a waste of time BUT enforces people to win.

This could be a mode in Arcade regardless. I like the idea

I feel like the this can be a good middle ground, since losing and getting nothing would probably leave people in a losing streak very tilted, but getting the 25% can still make them feel rewarded and willing to play more.

The only reason why I think it shouldn't be in the arcade is because it's just like quickplay, but if you play better, you get better rewards, so I feel most people would just go for this. I, for one, would play it more than QP for sure :p
For everyone who says they can't practice on QP because it's so bad...you absolutely can!

In fact, because QP is so bad that guarantees you'll be prepared for the worst possible scenarios in comp which means you should perform even better in ideal comps.
Play mistery heroes
01/23/2018 07:52 AMPosted by SirReasoner
i like how one person downvoted EVERY message
It's getting like Reddit now. Like some bot just auto thumbs down everything.
There are LFG sites and forums where people build teams for scrims, tourneys, SR grinding etc. It's a great way to see the most competitive side of Overwatch. All ranks and platforms can do this. For console players it is the closest we can get to experiencing OWL ;-;
"I want people to try hard, but I don't want to play comp because people try too hard".
So you want a Quick Play 2 without backfill and nothing else?
Wake up. Nobody will play seriously if there's nothing to win or lose.