Girls and Women playing Overwatch

General Discussion
I am a 46 year old videogame enthusiast who still remembers when Pong first arrived in our living rooms (thanks Atari!). Yeah, I'm that old.

I just want to take a quick moment to say, it's very refreshing and wonderful to me, to see so many XX chromosome people getting into the action. Enjoying and participating in this bloody sport of virtual competition that's been perhaps too long a province of the male gender.

I don't have any grand statement to make here. Just that Overwatch seems to me to have been the most inclusive and inviting of all online competitive games, gender wise, and that I think that is very, very cool.
go TLiciousX!
Lots of us girls have always played video games. I'm 28, but also played Atari when I was young (Joust and Pitfall were my favorites).

As I understand, a lot of young girls grow up and just don't feel comfortable sharing the information due to societal pressures/norms.

For me it was different. I used to bring my N64 to summer daycare and me and the boys would pile in front of the TV and play Super Smash Bros. all day.

I will say, Overwatch is very inclusive. But I don't typically make a big deal out of being a girl. I use coms all the time in comp and always get "omg is that a girl though" lol :) Guess we're still a rarity.
01/27/2018 05:07 PMPosted by TLiciousX
I am a 46 year old videogame enthusiast who still remembers when Pong first arrived in our living rooms (thanks Atari!). Yeah, I'm that old.

I just want to take a quick moment to say, it's very refreshing and wonderful to me, to see so many XX chromosome people getting into the action. Enjoying and participating in this bloody sport of virtual competition that's been perhaps too long a province of the male gender.

I don't have any grand statement to make here. Just that Overwatch seems to me to have been the most inclusive and inviting of all online competitive games, gender wise, and that I think that is very, very cool.

I know right! I'm a woman and about the same age. I also remember playing Pong on Ataris. =)

I can't get over how many women game now.. and play this game specifically. When I walk through a big store (like Target) or the local mall these days wearing a McCree or S76 shirt, I am ALWAYS approached by women who talk about how much they love Overwatch.

And when I'm ingame on voice (listening but rarely chatting cause my home is noisy) there is often other women there speaking. It is fantastic. Back when I was raiding on WOW, it was often me and 1 other woman in a raid of 20-40 players.
Yay, I just played Pong the other day. Super awesome to try again...

There's a video game museum in Perth, Nostalgia box. Go visit if you're around the area. Highly recommend it. Bring your kids!

I'm 41 btw :)

Except we have Zero women in OWL. So no I dont think it inclusive or inviting in such a utopian way
01/27/2018 05:24 PMPosted by Henicide

Except we have Zero women in OWL. So no I dont think it inclusive or inviting in such a utopian way

You can approach feminism from a top-down (political) or a bottom-up (cultural) approach. I think the cultural approach is FTW in the long term. My 2 cents.

Is that overwatch's fault though?
It is nice how it is a bit more inclusive. I’ve been kinda shy about reveling the fact I’m a female for a while but making my battletag and PS4 account kinda helps with that.

I’ve never really been like everyone else tbh... I was always the person to hate going shopping and never want to wear makeup. I’d always want to sit at home in front of a tv calling out shots and getting better. It’s nice to know that this world is more accepting of my passions these days...
01/27/2018 05:53 PMPosted by RaVen
01/27/2018 05:50 PMPosted by oceanman
46 is actually not that old.

In context of video games especially one like overwatch its ancient

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=average+age+of+gamers&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Not that ancient really...
I’m 37, first system was an Atari, first game I remember playing a lot was Frogger. I believe that the XX gender has always been here with us but only recently have they started chatting with the salty, grimy underbelly of the internets what is us XY’s.

My friends list is about 50/50. The best Widowmaker and Mercy that I know are females.

There is no race but human and there is no such thing as a gamer girl, we are all gamers.

hey maybe now i can finally get a girlfriend! (probably not ;-;)
01/27/2018 05:45 PMPosted by RaVen
46? can you even react to whats going on in the game when you play.
Not to be mean but really come on now

short answer yes. do you think kids have some mistycal power? people can be as good till 40s or more in esports btw, people just have life after that you know

Yep, I am annoyed over that. I've stopped buying Blizzard & OW merchandise because of it (I spent maybe 25-40 every few weeks or so for me, my kid, and my husband). Still sitting on OWL credits for same reason.

Blizzard had a choice in designing OWL the way they did (using a pro-sports model which by default excludes ~99% of the general population) or setting it up using an inclusive location based league system. A location based system could have played out more like soccer associations do. With local games and play offs, regional games and play offs, national, international, etc. At least at local levels, we might be streaming women playing the game.

Instead we get this corporate BS which means men make most of the decisions and exclude women by default.
I'm glad to see that someone is this accepting. I've actually been bashed multiple times for being a female..
I'm 32. Still got our old NES.