role select = everybody forced to one-trick

Competitive Discussion
I just want to make sure that you aren't listening to Stylosa when designing your game.

Role select will not only force 1-2 playable metas but it will also limit the number of heroes that everybody can play to a few of which only 1-2 will be in the meta. This means that everyone will be forced to play one hero in almost every game.

As far as I understand your view of how the game should be played is that everybody has 26 heroes to chose from that he can swap at any point. Role queue will limit this to 6 for the tanks and supports. Is this really what you want? There is an obvious reason why you only hear dps mains and one tricks supporting the role queue idea. I main heroes from all categories so that I can play what is best for my team to win. Role queue will force me to play 1 of those heroes.

Please don't ruin the game.
Games alredy a mess cant get any worse
What's the problem here? Role q won't force a meta it will simply give you the best strat when chemistry doesn't exist. If the team agrees on it they could still go triple or quad tank triple dps or just normal 2 2 2.

Why would you not want to play one class for a role q? Put all your effort into perfecting dps or healer or tank? Instead of wearing yourself thing trying to learn two or more from every role?
Can work. So i dont get 5 mercy mains on my team.
And i dont bother going support/tank or dps in comp. I flex and training my best on 3-4 heroes. Heroes i am strong with and can be usefull. So in como i would prolly go suuport if role select came.
If i want to play my loved ones like genji i can play houra in arcade or qp. But in comp i only play what i realy can. And since all are mercy main and go genji/hanzo i always go support. Love moira :) she is strong healer and can help out with dps. Help with pharah and take out low targets. So i am support and moira :)
If Blizzard wasnt so !@#$ing slow and careful about any changes in their games, they would give this a try and if it turns out to be a bad idea they would revert it.

That said, i am not convinced about role queue being an improvement. I am not sure and its hard to predict. But at this point im willing to try it out.
I agree, I don't think role select would fix anything because you're still gonna have people playing DPS who are trash and ppl are gonna be saying "Why did you role select DPS you're bad". The mentality that the only way to win is 2-2-2 is part of the reason why people lose games. People see 3 DPS and get tilted before the game starts and then start being toxic and throw everyone off their game. Im a hanzo main so I get TONS of toxicity at the character selection screen lol. I have even won multiple 5v6 games or 4 DPS games because teamwork is how you win games. Doesn't mean you will win all games of course but people need to stop being toxic because youre just gonna throw yourself off and everyone else making them mad. If you want to climb then play your best character and encourage everyone else to play their best character, thats how i go into every game and i was able to get from 2900+ to 3400+ by doing that. Everytime someone flexes and says "who do you guys want me to play" I always say "whoever you're good at" and that's why I currently have a 15hrs & 63% win percentage solo queing with the "troll/trash/meme/worst" character.
I don't want a role select. I would prefer smarter matchmaking so that the system doesn't put 5 support mains on a team and everyone has to flex to character they aren't comfortable. I get a 2-2-2 comp almost every game so that isn't the issue.
there are 4 roles...
01/28/2018 05:54 AMPosted by svetli97
I just want to make sure that you aren't listening to Stylosa when designing your game.

Role select will not only force 1-2 playable metas but it will also limit the number of heroes that everybody can play to a few of which only 1-2 will be in the meta. This means that everyone will be forced to play one hero in almost every game.

As far as I understand your view of how the game should be played is that everybody has 26 heroes to chose from that he can swap at any point. Role queue will limit this to 6 for the tanks and supports. Is this really what you want? There is an obvious reason why you only hear dps mains and one tricks supporting the role queue idea. I main heroes from all categories so that I can play what is best for my team to win. Role queue will force me to play 1 of those heroes.

Please don't ruin the game.

In case you were wondering why you're getting dislikes it's because you fundamentally don't understand how role queue works, or the idea of a flex, or that current matchmaking causes losses of the heroe select screen.
Well Role Select means "Select a role" as in, pick either Support, tank or damage.

and multiple heroes live within those roles, Like Genji is a damage Role, Mercy is a Support Role and so forth.

If you select Damage as your role then you will be able to swap any hero out in the damage catagory.

You're not being forced to one trick anything, technically you're forcing yourself to become a damage main.
problem is that certain heroes can get SR way easier, I think this system should be removed all together, it forces you to play certain heroes and does not count properly input of heroes who do not go around killing everything.
Question, even with role select couldn't you still get 3 mercy mains or healer mains on your team with only 2 healing roles to fill? And a 2 2 2 comp isn't always the best comp, we've had a triple tank meta, I just saw a 4 tank meta in OWL yesterday, 3 DPS comps, I've even seen teams with No healers win a 2 CP.

The Devs figuring out how to Match those who play certain roles would be a better way to balance teams.
01/28/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Xcelllence
Question, even with role select couldn't you still get 3 mercy mains or healer mains on your team with only 2 healing roles to fill? And a 2 2 2 comp isn't always the best comp, we've had a triple tank meta, I just saw a 4 tank meta in OWL yesterday, 3 DPS comps, I've even seen teams with No healers win a 2 CP.

The Devs figuring out how to Match those who play certain roles would be a better way to balance teams.

No, you would get 2 only of each type (DPS, support, tank).

Also with role select you could still queue in the regular queue if you wanted to.

Basically it would be exactly what LoL does, which I understand is a great system.
Role select would still allow anyone to play anything. It can only be exactly the same or better for everyone.
I get the idea behind a role select but I understand what the OP is saying. In some cases it can work but to be honest anyone can select anything and if people were more team oriented in the first place to swap when needed (like how the game was designed to be) then there would be a lot less of this. Yes people get better at certain roles and would prefer them but sometimes ya gotta say “Hm, so and so’s stats are better than mine, I’m an alright tank so I’ll offer tank but let my team know it’s not what I prefer.” Without being a jerk about it (I know that’s incredibly hard for a lot of people).
To the OP this would not force meta it would encourage team work more. If you have 6 people with 2 of each specializing in a certain class then you have a balanced team. But this will not lock a dps out of a tank slot incase you do need to go triple tank. But I do think this should have an emblem over your name to show what role you queued as. That way you dont have dps mains trying to tank queue to get around a longer wait to just throw the game because once again someone refuses to play what they signed up for. That way you can report them for not playing with the team. I think they should only implement this if they are going to actually follow up on punishments because DPS mains are going to obviously have the longer queue time and will be looking for a way around it.
This game needs role select. The ranked in this game is crap. All the time getting put on all dps teams or worst all healer teams is old. They should have three roles, dps, tanks and supports. Once you pick a role you can only change in that role. So if you pick support you can only be a support.
Would players have separate ranks for each role? You may also be disappointed by the long, long queue times if you pick DPS.
PROS
-you dont get others competing for the SAME role (5healer mains vs 5 dps mains)
-you get more NORMAL GOOD games OVERALL

CONS
-wait times for higher demand roles (DPS could wait up to 5x longer, so you get 1 decent VS. 1 normal + 1 instathrow in same time)
-more stale, forced meta for those who enjoy the random element of playing tripple support or quad dps
-more specilized players, less true flexing
01/28/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Flumek
CONS
-wait times for higher demand roles

On the other hand this is a PRO for lower demand roles. Also, maybe less people would blindly pick dps.

01/28/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Flumek
-more specilized players, less true flexing

This is a pretty subjective "CON". More specilized players sounds like a pretty good thing to me, and is what happens more and more the higher one gets anyway.

01/28/2018 05:54 AMPosted by svetli97
As far as I understand your view of how the game should be played is that everybody has 26 heroes to chose from that he can swap at any point.

This is far from reality though. The higher u climb, the more u will stick to a select few heroes anyway since u simply can't get better at the same rate with all the heroes unless that rate is pretty low to begin with.