lack of communication is throwing

General Discussion
lack of communication is throwing if not it makes the game terrible. I won one game and I lost two games where between 1 and 2 people including myself were in voice chat and talking. I go into competitive to be competitive and clearly other people do not. I go into competitive to do something Akin to what the pros do. and whether it's not being able to form a group without being severely punished by the SR system or the matchmaking system OR having open lines of communication with the people I'm playing with. PLZ PLZ PLZ there needs to be a major overhaul to competitive play because right now competitive is not competitive it is simply punishing to those of us trying to play the most competitive version of a game we love.
Someone will be around shortly to quote the blue that says that no, you do not have to communicate, as nonsensical as that is for a competitive team mode.
01/28/2018 05:54 PMPosted by idSurge
Someone will be around shortly to quote the blue that says that no, you do not have to communicate, as nonsensical as that is for a competitive team mode.

BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED IT! Most comms at the lower levels are literally unimportant and super observable. It's honestly become a tool for toxicity half the time...
Lack of communication is throwing. Picking a hero I don't like is throwing. Taking a different path than me is throwing. Too many coms is throwing. Wearing the wrong skin is most definitely throwing.

Back in my day.... throwing meant intentionally trying to lose. Those were the good old days.
I will type out what I can, but I can't use my microphone.
Sorry, I refuse to let my teenage sister use voice chat when there’s even the slightest potential for her to be harassed by older men. And as for myself, I don’t even play competitive, but if I did, I still wouldn’t use voice chat because 1) I’m female and 2) I have social anxiety. It’s not worth the slightly higher chance for victory. My sister wins competitive all the time even though she never uses voice chat. Nobody should EVER be forced to voice chat with others when it makes them uncomfortable, bottom line.
if you aren't in voice chat, we're more likely to lose. You don't know what we're doing as a team and most of the time DPS players who aren't in voice chat run off on their own and get picked before we engage.

Even if you don't have a mic, join group chat or you might as well be throwing
Funny, because Blizzard themselves can ban you from both text and voice chat for an insanely long peroid of time, without any way to inform others you CANNOT text or talk.
Joining team chat is enough for me, I’m not gonna risk getting shouted at sorry.
01/28/2018 06:13 PMPosted by ImNoJedi
Sorry, I refuse to let my teenage sister use voice chat when there’s even the slightest potential for her to be harassed by older men. And as for myself, I don’t even play competitive, but if I did, I still wouldn’t use voice chat because 1) I’m female and 2) I have social anxiety. It’s not worth the slightly higher chance for victory. My sister wins competitive all the time even though she never uses voice chat. Nobody should EVER be forced to voice chat with others when it makes them uncomfortable, bottom line.

teach her to the mute the people that are making her umcomfortable or toxic, but don't let those people ruin the game for the other teammates
Most of the communication is talking about something completely irrelevant and unrelated. Like, people will complain that Reaper is killing them, yet will never call out the Reaper, or when people are flanking, or when a character is low on health.
Ok, so, in Plat, for me, 7/10 games, it's either:

A. I'm the only one talking, making callouts ect (Which can still work, if they listen, and don't ignore your "Fall back" and stagger instead)

B. Others are talking, but are being toxic and/or spewing useless information.

I do like the odd 30% or so games where there is good communication alongside me, but it's rare.

After putting in a solid effort for 50 or so games communicating, i can say that
It's easier to just mute everyone, but stay in chat for call-outs. that way, i can help them, but they can't tilt me.

I might miss out on the 3/10 games where people make good call-outs, and DON"T start flaming their team...but it's a good comprimise, to get rid of the 3/10 that are toxic flame-fests.
If at least 90% of comms were actual usefull callouts and setting ups plans and tell which Ults are ready, instead of people getting tilted, feeling entitled to tell teammates which heroes they have to play and just being toxic in general, then this would be way more popular.
You can't just label a lack of communication throwing. You don't have the entire story. Deaf players can't hear callouts and may not be able to reliably make callouts. Some internet providers deny battle.net chat for security reasons, like my college campus. Still others may not have a microphone to use, or have had so many instances of toxic people in the voice chat that they aren't comfortable talking or listening to other people. You can't say it's throwing, although giving people crap for not talking to you is certainly a reportable offense.
01/28/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Hajuhn

teach her to the mute the people that are making her umcomfortable or toxic, but don't let those people ruin the game for the other teammates
Do you know how hard that is to do on console? And I don’t want her having to hear those inappropriate things in the first place?? Did the part where I mentioned that she is underaged just completely slip your eyes or something??

Potentially winning a game. Is. Not. Worth it. PERIOD.
I'm just not ready to deal with the toxicity I hear about, so I won't ever use a mic. If something's up I'll say "group up with me" and that will hopefully translate to the team "something is happening around me can you come help".
Do you know how hard that is to do on console? And I don’t want her having to hear those inappropriate things in the first place?? Did the part where I mentioned that she is underaged just completely slip your eyes or something??

Potentially winning a game. Is. Not. Worth it. PERIOD.

We need more players like you
I rarely talk, but i'm always listening. I just don't want to invite harassment.

01/28/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Hajuhn

Why is she the one that needs to change her behaviour? She isn't doing anything wrong. The other players are the ones that should be correcting themselves and not be garbage humans in the first place.
By the rules.. NOT your opinion.. it is not throwing.

01/28/2018 06:04 PMPosted by Buttercult
Lack of communication is throwing. Picking a hero I don't like is throwing. Taking a different path than me is throwing. Too many coms is throwing. Wearing the wrong skin is most definitely throwing.

Back in my day.... throwing meant intentionally trying to lose. Those were the good old days.

This is just pure win and you are so right.
Win or lose idgaf people should in no way be expected to be socially uncomfortable and embarassed while playing a 'video game' if they have issues.