Fix ranked with role cue

Competitive Discussion
They have tried this ranked system for 8 seasons and it's still crap. This game needs a role cue. There is no reason not to have one. If people don't like the role cue then they don't have to play ranked. Ranked should be an organized game mode not this disorganized piece of crap that you have now. One tricks would still get to play their heros with a better chance to win because they will have a team comp that can work.
i dont think a lot of people would agree with this, although i do. i get tired of no1 healing or tanking and ill literally go 5 dps (with an atk torb and hanzo) with me only one as mercy or rein
This is how I would put a role queue in:

DPS (main) - Tank/Support Locked
Tank (main) - DPS/Support Locked
Support (main) - DPS/Tank Locked

DPS/Tank (flex) - Support Locked
DPS/Support (flex) - Tank Locked
Tank/Support (flex) - DPS Locked

DPS/Tank/Support (superflex) - N/A

---

The matchmaker could then build a team like this:

DPS (main) x 1
Tank (main) x 1
Support (main) x 1
DPS/Tank (flex) x 1
Tank/Support (flex) x 1
DPS/Tank/Support (superflex) x 1

I'm sure there is some optimal way to spread these roles out, but it would allow people to get consistently good comps while allowing players to play what they want.

Edit: There could also be a team voting system put into place for unlocking certain roles for players that queued in a more restricted mode.
I agree with this but I can see the difficulty of implementing this system to a game designed as it is.
It doesn't need to be as complicated as people make it. Each player can choose 1 or 2 preferred roles when they queue, and the matchmaking should just make a basic effort to put diverse teams together based on that. You still might get 4 dps players so queue times aren't prohibitively long but at least it would allow for teams to more consistently put together a reasonable comp.
queue*
I don't see how role queue would add anything to the game other than constricting a diverse roster. Overwatch is unique in the sense that hero swapping is encouraged; locking players into roles seems counterproductive and unreasonable. Forcing composition would prevent unique makeups such as quad-tank or solo healing.

Further, I don't see how it would fix bickering about composition. Players will still complain about off-meta picks within those roles, e.g., Moira over Mercy, or Torb over Tracer.
01/29/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Bullrose
Forcing composition would prevent unique makeups such as quad-tank or solo healing.

Further, I don't see how it would fix bickering about composition. Players will still complain about off-meta picks within those roles, e.g., Moira over Mercy, or Torb over Tracer.

They definitely should not force any composition. Every player should have all heroes available.

A role check would not fix bickering, and that isn't the point. It's about trying to prevent games where no one on your team is capable or willing to play a specific role, i.e. 5 people want to play dps and none can play tank, so a reasonable comp is simply not possible.
I don't see how role queue would add anything to the game other than constricting a diverse roster. Overwatch is unique in the sense that hero swapping is encouraged; locking players into roles seems counterproductive and unreasonable. Forcing composition would prevent unique makeups such as quad-tank or solo healing.

It's a League of Legends issue. Role queue means you either get people playing whatever they want regardless of their role, or you make it so that you can't play in any other ways. (Called it a League of Legends issue because you can't reliably switch lanes with anyone).
I don't see how role queue would add anything to the game other than constricting a diverse roster. Overwatch is unique in the sense that hero swapping is encouraged;

The problem is with players that are locking THEMSELVE into roles, thereby screwing the team. I can't count the # of games I've had where I've been paired with ppl who "can only play Tracer" or "I can't tank to save my life". If these people were able to queue as DPS only, it would spare me the drama of being teamed up with 5 of them. Requiring a certain amount of hours in a role before being allowed to queue as that role would prevent that 40% winrate Genji main from queueing as Flex to speed up his queue time.

Don't want to actually "lock" ppl into a role? Fine, try things out by simply allowing people to select what role they INTEND or WANT to play in the upcoming match. That was I don't get grouped with 5 other people what all want to play Junkrat or Mercy.

I frequently switch roles/characters during a match in an effort to help the team, and am tired of constantly getting stuck with one tricks who won't switch even though they're being countered the entire match. I feel the current system gives no value to players who actually play the game as intended, and instead rewards the player who plays nothing but 100% Mercy for an entire season.
They definitely should not force any composition. Every player should have all heroes available.

A role check would not fix bickering, and that isn't the point. It's about trying to prevent games where no one on your team is capable or willing to play a specific role, i.e. 5 people want to play dps and none can play tank, so a reasonable comp is simply not possible.

But that's precisely a symptom of having the freedom to choose heroes at will. If a team just so happens to be composed of no one willing to tank or heal, then so be it, they'll have a chance at victory when they decide to swap.

I see the point you are trying to make, but you can't have the freedom to choose heroes while 'encouraging' a certain composition existing simultaneously. It's a continuum, and there's only room for one.
01/29/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Bullrose
I see the point you are trying to make, but you can't have the freedom to choose heroes while 'encouraging' a certain composition existing simultaneously. It's a continuum, and there's only room for one.

This is exactly what LoL does with their role check and it made a huge difference when they introduced it. You aren't locked into anything, but nobody queues as mid and then is like "oh actually I'm ADC." It just doesn't happen. People want to win and let the system help them get on a complete team.
So what happens when people who can't heal well or tank well Queue up in those roles because the Queue is faster?
01/29/2018 03:52 PMPosted by CasRa
So what happens when people who can't heal well or tank well Queue up in those roles because the Queue is faster?

I imagine more people will start playing and learning those roles.