Why do People Want OWL to Fail?

General Discussion
Note: Not being interested in OWL is different from wanting something to fail. I'm not a big DC fan, but I'm not actively hoping that DCEU movies bomb.
I honestly have no idea.

If you don't care about it, whatever that's nbd

But actually wanting it to fail and have Blizzard + investors lose a crap ton of money?

I think it's because people in these forums are so selfish and shortsighted they don't realize if Blizzard's massive undertaking fails, the whole game will die.
Some people just love to hate things.

Just that, really.
literally no idea. I'm not crazy about owl and don't care if it is really good or it flops but i agree that the people who want it to fail are kinda stupid
01/10/2018 05:07 PMPosted by greyleopardd
think it's because people in these forums are so selfish and shortsighted they don't realize if Blizzard's massive undertaking fails, the whole game will die.

And why would it die exactly?
It's because Blizzard is putting most of their efforts into OWL at the cost of normal gameplay, basically making Overwatch "fun to watch" but not fun to play. They want it to be "flashy" and fast, and to this end they let *certain dive heroes* reign unchecked because people like spectating them so much.

Dinoflask made a parody of this by combining Jeff quotes to say "If you are not particularly interested in esports, we don't want you in Overwatch." That's how this game's development feels for us filthy casuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDoleYNNK-E
01/10/2018 05:12 PMPosted by Matrim
01/10/2018 05:07 PMPosted by greyleopardd
think it's because people in these forums are so selfish and shortsighted they don't realize if Blizzard's massive undertaking fails, the whole game will die.

Because Blizz will still have to pay investors. It's a lot of money, and it'd come out of the OW development budget.
01/10/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Otterchin

Because Blizz will still have to pay investors. It's a lot of money, and it'd come out of the OW development budget.

Umm This is ACTIVSION BLIZZARD the game wont die due to budget they have All the money in the world
Because they don't want anyone to have fun.
Maybe I'd want it to succeed if the devs actually made the game balanced first. But no, they only care about the League.
Because people think it stops the other teams from working on whatever they're working on.
The internet just love to hate things.

Just that, really.

Ftfy
01/10/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Otterchin

Do you think Blizzard are dumb enough to have signed contracts forcing them to foot the bill for these investors? Seriously? ANd even if they were, a good way to recoup this money would be to make OW as much of a cash cow as possible, not leave it to die.
01/10/2018 05:04 PMPosted by MeiLesbian
Note: Not being interested in OWL is different from wanting something to fail. I'm not a big DC fan, but I'm not actively hoping that DCEU movies bomb.

Do you think haters need reasons to hate something? They are doing it because they are so bored that this is the only way for them to have fun.
So that the game can be balanced around being fun and not around some commercial venture.
The game made 1 billion dollars in the first 10 months off of lootboxes alone, enough money that they could have brought in a ton of content into this game. Including a episodic campaign mode telling the story of the overwatch world.

Instead they make a big play to take control of the esports scene by killing off smaller tournaments and trying to force through the league, while investing tons of money into trying to make said league as big as something like the NFL.

So rather then invest in adding content to the game (aside from seasonal events and a slow pace of maps and heroes), they are trying to invest in something that will give them money off of promotion deals. Which will likely be funneled into other game projects.

They tried to do something similar in SC2 and it failed miserably leading to the esports scene going on a steady decline that it has not recovered from. Eventually resulting in the release of SC Remastered as the Broodwar scene is coming back to life.
Most people hit the nail on the head. I personally don't care if it succeeds or not but a lot of players feel the game has been neglected as a whole in favour of the league.
I hate it because it feels like it's being forced down the player-base's throat while they invest all of their time and energy into the development of an E-Sports scene for the game.

Meanwhile the game itself feels like it is slowly depreciating in game-play quality and balance due to lack of resources and time put into the game itself.

I understand it is a business, but if they fail to make the very thing their marketing appealing to play, then people aren't going to care about how good anyone is at it.

The reason many like SC2 (myself included) is because they created a great game and focused on improving it, while allowing people's interest in an E-Sports scene to naturally develop.
01/10/2018 05:23 PMPosted by MetaVolca
Maybe I'd want it to succeed if the devs actually made the game balanced first. But no, they only care about the League.

they are making it balanced though, it's just for the best players because that's the real cap of the hero has not what someone at 3000-3500 has. Imagine this: let's say for example Timmy is a 2000 player right now and complains about Bastion being OP, Timmy somehow improves in 3-6 months and is at 4000 now, Bastion is a joke at that rating, would you think that Blizzard should listen to Timmy when he's at 2000 and just doesn't understand the game well enough nor being able to play it well ?

If you're a low ranked player you just don't play well enough, it's not an insult, we're all bad/good at something. When you're bad at something it's better to let the ones good at that thing do their job rather than get involved when you don't know what you're talking about right ?
OP's name is intriguing