For OWL Why Does Location Only Matter When They Are Asian

General Discussion
Florida Mayhem guess what has no one from Florida or even the United States. They are all from EU. There are other examples for other teams in OWL.

But...let's just bring up only Spitfire and mention how they are all Korean/Asian.

For me, I just want to watch the best Overwatch, so it doesn't matter where the players come from. BUT if your opinion is that the shortcomings of OWL is that the players aren't local, can you please just stop pointing out Spitfire. I would respect your opinion a little more even if I disagree with it.
Fun fact: not a single player is actually from the city the team is from except for Munchkin on the Seoul Dynasty who is really from Seoul.

I really don't know why it's such a big problem for people. The location name is where the organization/ownership is from. But since they had the money and the scouting, they could get excellent outside talent instead of relying on lesser local talent.

Imagine how much of a tragedy it would've been if we didn't see the fantastic players from New York and London playing against the best because people needed them to actually be from the region.
Psst! Hey kid, come in this alley and I'll drop some truth on ya.

It's because representation matters. Unless you're not white, not a dude, or not straight. If you're any of those things then screw your PC BS!
01/12/2018 03:17 PMPosted by greyleopardd
Fun fact: not a single player is actually from the city the team is from except for Munchkin on the Seoul Dynasty who is really from Seoul.

I really don't know why it's such a big problem for people. The location name is where the organization/ownership is from. But since they had the money and the scouting, they could get excellent outside talent instead of relying on lesser local talent.

Imagine how much of a tragedy it would've been if we didn't see the fantastic players from New York and London playing against the best because people needed them to actually be from the region.

Why?

“The Overwatch League represents not only the pinnacle of Overwatch competition, but also a genuine career opportunity for the most skilled Overwatch players,” Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said in a statement. “We’re building a league that’s accessible to players and fans, sustainable, and exciting for everyone involved.”

That's why. Because the OWL was sold as the best gamers from all over the world competeing in local teams on an international stage. What is accessible about another league of Koreans only? This was sold as the best from around the world representing a city, so are we really to believe the only people qualified out of 7 billion people are South Koreans?
I think people are asking a lot for a gaming league's first year.
for me if there was a western sydney team for example i wouldnt mind it if we had one person from australia but they dont need to be from the area because that is far too limiting but expecting one player from australia i dont think is too much to ask for(the rest can be south korean but i want one australian)
01/12/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Foxxer544

Why?

“The Overwatch League represents not only the pinnacle of Overwatch competition, but also a genuine career opportunity for the most skilled Overwatch players,” Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said in a statement. “We’re building a league that’s accessible to players and fans, sustainable, and exciting for everyone involved.”

That's why. Because the OWL was sold as the best gamers from all over the world competeing in local teams on an international stage. What is accessible about another league of Koreans only? This was sold as the best from around the world representing a city, so are we really to believe the only people qualified out of 7 billion people are South Koreans?

Well the most skilled Overwatch players in the world are the South Koreans because gaming as profession has been not a taboo for the longest time there. It never said, that it had to be local teams in the sense of players. There are also again other teams with players who are not Korean...and also not from the city that they are based out of.

If people want local players, then you better work to make gaming as a profession not taboo.
01/12/2018 03:28 PMPosted by GoatyMcGoat
for me if there was a western sydney team for example i wouldnt mind it if we had one person from australia but they dont need to be from the area because that is far too limiting but expecting one player from australia i dont think is too much to ask for(the rest can be south korean but i want one australian)

That's fine. I can respect other people's opinions. The main point is though that people for some reason latch on to only Spitfire and forget that there are other teams with no one from that country (i.e. Mayhem).

It's as if you had a team in Western Sydney, but all your players were from Sweden.

People can have differing opinions, but if you have an opinion you better make it informed.
Location doesn't matter in OWL at all. It cracks me up when people talk how team X is their local team even though the only connection to the city is the name and they don't play any matches there.

Why?

WTF? First of all it's not a "Korean only" league, not even close. Secondly by "accessible to players" they meant equal opportunity to be discovered or trialled, not that you'll get put in because they don't want 'too many Koreans' in the league.

It's also not Korea's fault their players are better than most of the world's. LW Blue (NYXL) and C9 Kongdoo/GC Busan (London) were such high caliber teams and of course it would have been stupid to not sign these players who were available onto OWL league teams.

It's about showing off the best talent. If Western teams had better talent we probably wouldn't have 3 all-Korean teams
01/12/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Potatato

Why?

Well the most skilled Overwatch players in the world are the South Koreans because gaming as profession has been not a taboo for the longest time there. It never said, that it had to be local teams in the sense of players. There are also again other teams with players who are not Korean...and also not from the city that they are based out of.

If people want local players, then you better work to make gaming as a profession not taboo.

News flash- that was the point of OWL, to make competitive gaming mainstream in the West. How do you expect to do that if you never let them have competitions? Sorry, but your argument is moot, and fails to acknowledge the fact this was meant to be inclusive.
01/12/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Foxxer544
01/12/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Potatato

News flash- that was the point of OWL, to make competitive gaming mainstream in the West. How do you expect to do that if you never let them have competitions? Sorry, but your argument is moot, and fails to acknowledge the fact this was meant to be inclusive.

Guess what? There are 12 teams. 8 of them are "Western"

That's tough though when nobody from the team can communicate (for the most part, some of them speak good English) with the player in the case of London on NY and practically nobody they could pick up would be good enough to actually play. I think it'd be even worse to just throw someone on there for the sake of representation when they'd do nothing else.
01/12/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Potatato

That's fine. I can respect other people's opinions. The main point is though that people for some reason latch on to only Spitfire and forget that there are other teams with no one from that country (i.e. Mayhem).

It's as if you had a team in Western Sydney, but all your players were from Sweden.

People can have differing opinions, but if you have an opinion you better make it informed.

i agree, i mean i do like Mayhem a lot but they are not representing but no one has ever mentioned that(apart from you) so i completely agree
01/12/2018 03:35 PMPosted by greyleopardd
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Why?

WTF? First of all it's not a "Korean only" league, not even close. Secondly by "accessible to players" they meant equal opportunity to be discovered or trialled, not that you'll get put in because they don't want 'too many Koreans' in the league.

It's also not Korea's fault their players are better than most of the world's. LW Blue (NYXL) and C9 Kongdoo/GC Busan (London) were such high caliber teams and of course it would have been stupid to not sign these players who were available onto OWL league teams.

It's about showing off the best talent. If Western teams had better talent we probably wouldn't have 3 all-Korean teams

First off, when it features a majority of players from 1 nation, it's that nations league. Nobody gives a s**t where the owner lives.

Second, again, what equal opportunity? 7 billion people on this planet, how many millions of OW players, and you expect rational people to believe they couldn't find a more diverse roster? Please.

Third, it's not their fault, but that doesn't mean they have to be the vast bulk of players.

Sorry, but you turned what was supposed to be a fun international league that would finally give the rest of the world access to the pro esports scene, and turned it into another Team S Korea vs Team S Korea league.
01/12/2018 03:37 PMPosted by Potatato
01/12/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Foxxer544

Guess what? There are 12 teams. 8 of them are "Western"

And that's a lie since the teams feature no wester players, or staff. The only thing "Western" about them is the owners that nobody cares about.

This^ factual statement has been repeated in so many different forms across all variations of this "not from my city!" post.

What more is there to say...?
01/12/2018 03:38 PMPosted by greyleopardd

That's tough though when nobody from the team can communicate (for the most part, some of them speak good English) with the player in the case of London on NY and practically nobody they could pick up would be good enough to actually play. I think it'd be even worse to just throw someone on there for the sake of representation when they'd do nothing else.

it highly depends on if the other team members speak english and how good their english is but i do agree, i think if their english isnt great then that representation isnt at all helpful
Sorry, but you turned what was supposed to be a fun international league that would finally give the rest of the world access to the property esports scene, and turned it into another Team S Korea vs Team S Korea league.

Stop being so ignorant. Most of the players in the whole league are NOT Korean.

It's also ridiculous to suggest that you pass up on making the league more competitive and have a higher quality of play and more exciting just so it can be perfectly internationally represented.

It is not the Overwatch World Cup! It's about the best players, not about where they are from.
Wait, you mean all the members of the New England Patriots aren't from New England? Everyone on the L.A. Lakers isn't from Los Angeles?! There are even players from Europe in the NBA? And people from Canada, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia in the NHL? Bring me my rosewater or I may swoon!

Come on, this is how sports work.