For OWL Why Does Location Only Matter When They Are Asian

General Discussion
It would be nice if an actual european city and Canada got a team.

Otherwise, i'm good.
I think originally sports team did only recruit local talent.
It wasn't until it evolved into a national pass time that players outside of the city limits were selected. Something like 1880 for baseball ? We didn't have airplanes 150 years ago, or even reliable motor vehicles! Let alone the capacity to recruit throughout the world.

The irony is that we are mimicking these trends and there is no real reason to do so. This isn't NBA, Baseball, or any other traditional sport.

Why ARE we using city based names in the first place?
Why is it Florida Mayhem and not just Team Mayhem?
The additional of the location is confusing and pointless.
It adds "nothing" to the image or branding of the team.

What makes the addition of "Florida" valuable, and not just silly ?
01/12/2018 03:17 PMPosted by greyleopardd
The location name is where the organization/ownership is from
I thought Cloud9, owners of London Spitfire, were American - or based in LA at least. Jack Etienne, the co-founder and CEO is American too AFAIK. No actual London connection I know of - although LinkedIn does tell me we have a mutual connection who is UK-based.
For me "London" Spitfire are the whipping boy just because they are the most comically blatant of the lot, but really almost every team is guilty to some extent.
There is no parallel to real sports teams here because real sports teams actually play in the city they claim to be from. A buncha Korean nationals living in California, playing in California, for a team owned by a group based in California have ZERO connection to London whatsoever beyond the licensing deal they struck with the city to use its name. Heck I'd be surprised if half the players have ever even been to London. The false affiliation to take advantage of people's civic pride is marketing chicanery through and through, and for that the OWL deserves to be ridiculed imo.
I mean I'm from New York, most of the players on the Yankees are not from New York but that doesn't stop me from rooting for them. It's true of all sports
Arguing that there's too many Koreans in OWL is like arguing that there's too many black people in the NBA. Who cares what race/ethnicity/location/etc they are?
OWL is like sports leagues not the Olympics. Every real sport the pros move around to be in teams. The Minnesota Vikings have few of any Minnesotans and or real Vikings.
Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, or if other sports have the same thing or not.

All it matters is whether the audience will feel motivated to cheer for their "local" hometeam.

I don't have the answer for that. Only time will tell.
01/12/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Potatato
Florida Mayhem guess what has no one from Florida or even the United States. They are all from EU. There are other examples for other teams in OWL.

But...let's just bring up only Spitfire and mention how they are all Korean/Asian.

For me, I just want to watch the best Overwatch, so it doesn't matter where the players come from. BUT if your opinion is that the shortcomings of OWL is that the players aren't local, can you please just stop pointing out Spitfire. I would respect your opinion a little more even if I disagree with it.

Well I will just say what the obvious answer is. It's most obvious with the Koreans, that does not make the point invalid though, if anything it strengthens it. If we are going to have multi national teams compete, keep the players in the nation the team is based in.
New Orleans Saints has 0 players from New Orleans, much less Louisiana.

Houston Rockets has 0 players from Houston, much less from Texas (One player from China and another from Brazil though).

If you look through most major American sports teams you'll find this to be true. This is normal. This is how sports work. Jeff even commented on that in his interview with Your Overwatch.
01/12/2018 06:43 PMPosted by WhiteRhino
For me "London" Spitfire are the whipping boy just because they are the most comically blatant of the lot, but really almost every team is guilty to some extent.
There is no parallel to real sports teams here because real sports teams actually play in the city they claim to be from. A buncha Korean nationals living in California, playing in California, for a team owned by a group based in California have ZERO connection to London whatsoever beyond the licensing deal they struck with the city to use its name. Heck I'd be surprised if half the players have ever even been to London. The false affiliation to take advantage of people's civic pride is marketing chicanery through and through, and for that the OWL deserves to be ridiculed imo.

For the most part I agree with what you are saying. Another view point is Blizzard wants OWL to be as similar to major professional sports as possible. This being the inaugural season, they are be playing it safe to have all matches played only at the Blizzard Arena in Los Angeles. Maybe the plan is if OWL catches on and gains more fans worldwide, they will branch the players off into the cities their team represents.
01/12/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Foxxer544

First off, when it features a majority of players from 1 nation, it's that nations league. Nobody gives a s**t where the owner lives.

Second, again, what equal opportunity? 7 billion people on this planet, how many millions of OW players, and you expect rational people to believe they couldn't find a more diverse roster? Please.

Third, it's not their fault, but that doesn't mean they have to be the vast bulk of players.

Sorry, but you turned what was supposed to be a fun international league that would finally give the rest of the world access to the pro esports scene, and turned it into another Team S Korea vs Team S Korea league.

It's because Korea is dominating the E-Sports scene from years ago, at least this league will slowly show that it's "okay" to be a professional gamer. I grew up in high school playing Starcraft and I was pretty good for my age but guess what stopped me from pursuing it any further? Western culture, where physical sports is more rewarding than mental.

Give it a couple more years, it'll start getting diverse but that'll only happen only when people start to accept it. And with this league it's promoting that idea.

WTF? First of all it's not a "Korean only" league, not even close. Secondly by "accessible to players" they meant equal opportunity to be discovered or trialled, not that you'll get put in because they don't want 'too many Koreans' in the league.

It's also not Korea's fault their players are better than most of the world's. LW Blue (NYXL) and C9 Kongdoo/GC Busan (London) were such high caliber teams and of course it would have been stupid to not sign these players who were available onto OWL league teams.

It's about showing off the best talent. If Western teams had better talent we probably wouldn't have 3 all-Korean teams

First off, when it features a majority of players from 1 nation, it's that nations league. Nobody gives a s**t where the owner lives.

Second, again, what equal opportunity? 7 billion people on this planet, how many millions of OW players, and you expect rational people to believe they couldn't find a more diverse roster? Please.

Third, it's not their fault, but that doesn't mean they have to be the vast bulk of players.

Sorry, but you turned what was supposed to be a fun international league that would finally give the rest of the world access to the pro esports scene, and turned it into another Team S Korea vs Team S Korea league.

If you're so concerned with representation I hope you feel the same about women not being represented in the OWL too.
London Spitefire and New York Excelsior should rename their teams to Seoul Dynasty 2.0 and 3.0.
I think if you looked closer at any sport you'd have a hard time finding players from the city their teams play from.
If there were regional residential requirements of the participants (say 2 year residency within 200 mile radius of team home), maybe there'd be some diversity in players and play style.
01/12/2018 06:45 PMPosted by blarneystone
I mean I'm from New York, most of the players on the Yankees are not from New York but that doesn't stop me from rooting for them.
But you can go to Yankee Stadium and watch them play, right? I know they didn't start in New York, but there's a physical connection and weight of at least a century of history to cement the ties.