“Paused”

General Discussion
What’s happening on OWL with these mid match “pauses”. I’ve seen it happen 3x now.
Each one in midst of a team fight.

Anyone know what causes this? And why nothing’s been done about it?
It shouldn't be allowed imo because it ruins the flow of the match. In fighting game tournaments if you pause the game you lose that round. Even if its an accident the round counts as a loss for the player who hit the pause button.
01/26/2018 09:50 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
It shouldn't be allowed imo because it ruins the flow of the match. In fighting game tournaments if you pause the game you lose that round. Even if its an accident the round counts as a loss for the player who hit the pause button.

Difference is it's not the players pausing the game, it's the production team.

When there's technical difficulties it gets paused.
01/26/2018 09:51 PMPosted by DontBanThis1
01/26/2018 09:50 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA

Difference is it's not the players pausing the game, it's the production team.

When there's technical difficulties it gets paused.

Doesn't matter who is pausing it. The effect is the same. They should sort out the technical difficulties after the match. Its not like someone got disconnected from the match like we see in online Competitive.
I remember there was a point during world cup where they said pause was instant. Don't know if they're at that point yet. But, here's the the idea.

Whenever a technical difficulty is detected, the game automatically pauses so that you don't get any play that takes advantage of the technical difficulty. Then, you just unpause where you were any you're good to go.
01/26/2018 09:54 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
Doesn't matter who is pausing it. The effect is the same. They should sort out the technical difficulties after the match.

Competitive =/= LAN.

The players aren't playing on their own builds either, it's supplied to them, game crashes and all that aren't the fault of the players, it's the fault of Blizzard who are the ones managing and maintaining both the game and the PCs used.

It's stupid to punish the players for technical difficulties that are the company's fault.

Its not like someone got disconnected from the match like we see in online Competitive.

You don't know this either, there's been both game crashes or other technical difficulties like a player's headset not working at all, let's just sort this out after the match eh?

01/26/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Ohaiguy
Whenever a technical difficulty is detected, the game automatically pauses so that you don't get any play that takes advantage of the technical difficulty. Then, you just unpause where you were any you're good to go.

It's actually paused by the people behind the scenes managing everything.
01/26/2018 09:56 PMPosted by DontBanThis1
Doesn't matter who is pausing it. The effect is the same. They should sort out the technical difficulties after the match.

Competitive =/= LAN.

The players aren't playing on their own builds either, it's supplied to them, game crashes and all that aren't the fault of the players, it's the fault of Blizzard who are the ones managing and maintaining both the game and the PCs used.

It's stupid to punish the players for technical difficulties that are the company's fault.

Its not like someone got disconnected from the match like we see in online Competitive.

You don't know this either, there's been both game crashes or other technical difficulties like a player's headset not working at all, let's just sort this out after the match eh?

01/26/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Ohaiguy

It's actually paused by the people behind the scenes managing everything.

Haven't seen anybody disconnected. And if a headset stops working or whatever then thats just too bad isn't it. The show must go on.
nobody wants to watch a game where one of the players keyboards stops working and the other team gets a free stomp...

01/26/2018 10:09 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA

Haven't seen anybody disconnected. And if a headset stops working or whatever then thats just too bad isn't it. The show must go on.

every other sport fixes technical issues.

Just because you don't see them disconnected doesn't mean they aren't.

Dhak's game crashed during the preseason and they paused as soon as he froze on his screen.

Lose your entitled bull!@#$, not only would it feel incredibly stupid for a team to win a professional game because of %^-*ing technical difficulties but it would also feel wrong to make players play handicapped, when a player gets injured in sport they don't force them to keep playing with that injury.

Making them continue to play on with a missing player / handicap would just make the game an overall worse experience for both the player and their team and the viewer. If I wanted to watch an un-coordinated mess I'd go find a Platinum player's VOD, not watch the !@#$ing OWL.
HP computers amirite?
01/26/2018 10:11 PMPosted by Christarp
nobody wants to watch a game where one of the players keyboards stops working and the other team gets a free stomp...

every other sport fixes technical issues..

Are the keyboards at OWL battery powered? Not sure how they would suddenly stop working. And like the OP said, they pause the game at least once nearly every day this thing is on lol. You'd think that they would have gotten in some better equipment by now. But sure, let's just pretend that you are right and every time they pause the game its over something critical that just can't wait until the current match is over at the least.
Jeff needs to pee
01/26/2018 10:13 PMPosted by DontBanThis1

Just because you don't see them disconnected doesn't mean they aren't.

Dhak's game crashed during the preseason and they paused as soon as he froze on his screen.

Lose your entitled bull!@#$, not only would it feel incredibly stupid for a team to win a professional game because of %^-*ing technical difficulties but it would also feel wrong to make players play handicapped, when a player gets injured in sport they don't force them to keep playing with that injury.

Making them continue to play on with a missing player / handicap would just make the game an overall worse experience for both the player and their team and the viewer. If I wanted to watch an un-coordinated mess I'd go find a Platinum player's VOD, not watch the !@#$ing OWL.

Are you kidding me? They have players on the bench.
The play on the field stops though Gremlin...do you watch sports?
01/26/2018 10:15 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
01/26/2018 10:11 PMPosted by Christarp

every other sport fixes technical issues..

Are the keyboards at OWL battery powered? Not sure how they would suddenly stop working. And like the OP said, they pause the game at least once nearly every day this thing is on lol. You'd think that they would have gotten in some better equipment by now. But sure, let's just pretend that you are right and every time they pause the game its over something critical that just can't wait until the current match is over at the least.

The point is, if you're not watching players at their full capacity, are you really watching a competition? Or are you just watching the luck of the draw?
01/26/2018 10:19 PMPosted by idSurge
The play on the field stops though Gremlin...do you watch sports?

Actually the play sort of resets. The players don't just freeze in place do they?
01/26/2018 10:17 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
Are you kidding me? They have players on the bench.

[/quote]

Florida Mayhem doesn't.

Plus those players go and use the EXACT same computer when subbed in, there's 6 each side, you can't just sub in a player and expect all the technical difficulties to be fixed, it's much better and more logical to just fix the damn technical issue instead of jumping through a million hoops and still needing to pause the game for the same amount of time if not longer.

If someone's game crashes it still needs to restart, moving a player off the bench won't magically make their game restart quicker.

Get over yourself honestly.
01/26/2018 10:31 PMPosted by DontBanThis1

Not sure why you keep making this about me. I was just replying to a thread that I didn't start. I do not believe that the game should be paused mid-match. That is my opinion and in other E-sports a pause equals a loss. End of.
01/26/2018 10:37 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
01/26/2018 10:31 PMPosted by DontBanThis1

Not sure why you keep making this about me. I was just replying to a thread that I didn't start. I do not believe that the game should be paused mid-match. That is my opinion and in other E-sports a pause equals a loss. End of.

So they're just supposed to 5v6 it? Nah, that's not a game I want to watch, give them the pause, its not like the teams are pausing.
01/26/2018 09:48 PMPosted by N3URON
What’s happening on OWL with these mid match “pauses”. I’ve seen it happen 3x now.
Each one in midst of a team fight.

Anyone know what causes this? And why nothing’s been done about it?

If you watch a lot of esports you'll know that pauses are a common thing. The fact that only a handful happened in OWL so far is a miracle.