We need to talk about Shanghai Dragons

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Put it bluntly: this team is a disgrace to the league and the Chinese Overwatch community.

I don’t know where to begin, there’s so many things wrong with how this org is being run, from the allegations of corruption, hiring subpar players (excluding Undead and Diya), account sharing and the fact that the players are playing 15 hours of Overwatch a day even after season games for “practice” without ever reviewing games is really concerning.

China had a great market and Miraculous Youngsters, a Chinese team, were one of the top teams pre-OWL, but with no players from MY on the roster and it seemingly being based around their coach U4 seeing Undead as his golden child, I can see why PUBG is taking off in China while Overwatch is starting to struggle. How can anyone from China support a team that is so run down they don’t even see the Winston in front of them when playing the Outlaws on Numbani? How can Chinese Overwatch players support a supposedly professional team that loses 3-0 on Junkertown?

I’m not a Chinese player nor am I fully Chinese, but as someone who wants to see the League do well and to be highly regarded, please look into this org for the integrity of the League.
Why? Shanghai atleast had a good attitude until the last second unlike some other team that the community likes so much. But granted, our community has differing approaches towards the meaning of being competitive.

But I am still confused. The forums voice in vast majority their aversion towards sports migration and long for a cosy team of local heroes. And the only team which offers that, get called a disgrace.
Highly Rated
Why? Shanghai atleast had a good attitude until the last second unlike some other team that the community likes so much. But granted, our community has differing approaches towards the meaning of being competitive.

But I am still confused. The forums voice in vast majority their aversion towards sports migration and long for a cosy team of local heroes. And the only team which offers that, get called a disgrace. Or are you maybe just envy, secretly wishing the Shanghai Dragons would be your local heroes?
It has nothing to do with the players. It has everything to do with management.

To put into context what I’m trying to say, this thread here has a lot on what’s going on behind the scenes in regards to Shanghai Dragons: https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/7e0cna/discussion_about_alleged_blizzard_china/

Long story short, their coach U4 has been doing some shady things behind the scene in regards to the team, promising underaged players sports on the team in the future, along with seemingly refusing to hire any MY players and having things covered up when they started coming to light to name a few (plus account sharing which has already been made public and dealt with). Plus there’s the fact that players are playing 15 hours a day, on top of games as well, and seemingly suffering from fatigue already. It just appears that management are very incompetent and have not put the team, and it’s representation of Shanghai and China, in it’s best interest. The fact that not even the best Chinese Overwatch players are on the team is alarming.
I think this is a bit harsh. They are trying; someone has to be in last place.

Edit: See my post further down. I get what you’re trying to say now.
01/17/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Hegemoness
I think this is a bit harsh. They are trying; someone has to be in last place.
It’s not about the team playing bad. It’s about what they’re doing behind the scenes that is bad.
Yea I've been hearing some shady crap has been going on with the Dragons. 15 hours of OW day though? That's some rough crap.
01/17/2018 11:00 PMPosted by Sengell

But I am still confused. The forums voice in vast majority their aversion towards sports migration and long for a cosy team of local heroes. And the only team which offers that, get called a disgrace.
And what do you mean that this team has a "good attitude" that is unlike some teams the community likes. Is it because they (putting it bluntly) suck, or the fact that they have be fined multiple times for account sharing. The teams is literally made up of 3 lucio mains, 2 soldier mains (hitscan players), a main tank who at times looked decent until recently, and a random off tank when MY had arguably one of the best offtank players in the world.
01/17/2018 11:14 PMPosted by InfamousKing
Yea I've been hearing some shady crap has been going on with the Dragons. 15 hours of OW day though? That's some rough crap.

That's an easy way to get your players burnt out.
01/17/2018 10:43 PMPosted by superdowg316
Put it bluntly: this team is a disgrace to the league and the Chinese Overwatch community.

Wait a bit, it's just the beginning of the league thingy. Things will settle down in certain ways and improve.
ah yes, the dreaded Overwatch 15 hour mode, can't wait till that hits arcade, Dragons are really going to have that one on lockdown
Okay, that Reddit thread was hard to follow, but someone else explained it all to me so figured I’d share here:

miraculous youngster was the best team in china by far and everyone expected them to be the team representing the shanghai dragons. in the ogn supermatch, miraculous youngster took lunatic hai to 5 games and almost won.

that post is alleging corruption in blizzard china's esports division, specifically larry chi, esports senior director of blizzard. the committees to decide the rosters during world cup were decided by fan vote and there were 3 positions for each country. for some reason, larry chi and blizzard esports china installed a 4th member to china's committee, chen "u4" congshan, who was the former coach of the LGD gaming overwatch team. u4,. as a member of the committee, had input on the chinese world cup roster. however, accusations go as far as him unilaterally deciding china's roster for the world cup playoffs, in which china disappointingly lost in the quarterfinals to france after having gone undefeated in qualifiers. basically, they're accusing larry chi and u4 of faking the visa issues that kept certain players from playing in the world cup playoffs.

this all came to light from leaks by retired OW player yaoyao, who was the main tank for the chinese world cup team. he alleged that u4 had been going around promising various players world cup spots and shanghai dragons spots, without their team's permission to speak with them. yaoyao retired from overwatch due to criticism he received for his world cup play, but he defended himself on weibo blaming u4's coaching, saying that he was following the coach's gameplan. a miraculous youngster player, YangX1aoLg, posted support for yaoyao on weibo and deleted it. it was later revealed that he was pressured to the delete the comments by blizzard china.

meanwhile LGD gaming wins an award from blizzard esports china for "best team" at their year-end festival, despite not being the best team and having no 1st place victories during the season splits nor advancing beyond the quarterfinals in the playoffs. fans accuse blizzard of rigging the ballot.

cut to the announcement of the shanghai dragons. u4 is announced as the team's coach. none of the miraculous youngster players get selected. 3 former LGD gaming players get selected.

and that's how you get the performances out of the shanghai dragons that you're seeing today.
they're throwing to de-popularize overwatch, and maintain league of legends (china owned) as the dominant e-sport and casual game in the world
15 hours a day? Good thing they’re playing in America at least. If the league were based in China they’d probably make them play 20 hours a day and for no money.
Human right's/labor violations and corruption from China? Who'd have thought?
Shanghai dragon already give up
Glad to see Blizzard is making sure their teams are being taken care of and making things better for them, and not reddit backlash about their conditions forcing a response from the team that “we’ll do better to take care of our players”

Huh? The opposite of that happened? Wow I’m surprised
01/18/2018 11:52 PMPosted by Scynt

Yes, cuz obviously every single other country including America does not have that problem somewhere in their country, and don't put the blame on China of human violations, they r overpopulated, so they need a job. we don't see anybody blaming George. Bush taking control of all oil, we don't see ppl blaming America's government of so called peace-keeping in other countries is actually gaining their oil and resources???? Hmmmm.....

PS. Im not Chinese btw, so u dont have to flame me for that if u want to be racist.
01/19/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Ne8ula
01/18/2018 11:52 PMPosted by Scynt

Yes, cuz obviously every single other country including America does not have that problem somewhere in their country, and don't put the blame on China of human violations, they r overpopulated, so they need a job. we don't see anybody blaming George. Bush taking control of all oil, we don't see ppl blaming America's government of so called peace-keeping in other countries is actually gaining their oil and resources???? Hmmmm.....

PS. Im not Chinese btw, so u dont have to flame me for that if u want to be racist.

WTF is with you people and making everything about America?? Everyone knows China has issues with human rights. Everyone knows it. That's a reason you get your cheap chinese products btw. Cause of cheap labour. That has nothing to do with racism. China is not a race, it's a country.

And looking at the Dragons you can see they are not in best shape.