Why did you start playing Mercy?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
I first played Reinhardt, but I realize very soon that healing is really important for tanks. So i thought i will try to play Support.
I tried Zen, was a bit to slow in my opinion.
I tried Lúcio, felt way too wobbly and confusing.
I tried Symmetra, she was fun to play, but not a healer.
And then Mercy.
I didn't wan't to play her at all at the start. I thought she would be boring. But as soon as i took a closer look at her and her abilitys, i pretty much immediately thought that this futuristic angel design is really awesome. Her movement felt good as well as her healing and dmg buff. The Resurrect was the cherry on top.
But the most appealing thing about her was that you never really had to kill or dmg anyone to be really successful.
Played her in the beta and fell in love with the character and her ultimate. I had never played a true healer before, I was always more dps oriented player in other games. That "Heroes never die!" was just the greatest feeling in the world. I stopped playing with Valkyrie.
I like supporting my team, and Zen was too dps-focused for my taste and while I enjoyed Lucio I wasn't playing him aggressive enough (especially after the rework). Ana on console was just too difficult (my aim was really poor back then, I've improved a lot since), so that left Mercy. What I really liked with her was swooping around the battlefield, saving people from the brink of death, and then using my ult to bring them back in an epic moment of glory.

Those were the days.
I USED to be a mercy main but I barely pick her anymore the reason I did pick her is because mercy was a needed hero because she's the main biggie healer in the whole support group till moria came.
Being honest i bought her gold staff back when she could 5 man rez and it was fun to pick her because i wanted to not because it was mandatory.

Not i instalock anything so i dont end up playing her
i play mercy bc in every game i play im always healer, so was just natural (and shes a cutie <3 ) but yeah feels good to fill and be appreciated too, but at the same time i play dva and widow so no one can call me a 1 trick
Because blizzard Nerf'd Ana hard, nerf'd the tanks that could help her, started the dive meta by making it easier for high mobility heroes to get past the tank line then buried her with the introduction of Sombra, Doomfist, stronger and more shields plus more spam damage than anyone can deal with.

As is Mercy has Guardian Angel and Regen. From a survivability perspective that's miles ahead better than a sleep dart that hardly works and a potion too long on the cool down.

I've gotten good with Mercy. Still, that's not the hero I want to play. Yet if I play what I do want (Ana) our odds of winning are far less.

You asked.
I came to Overwatch from BF4 and CoD. The concept of healer just seemed new and interesting.

I got stuck on Mercy because her only job is healing. It makes it easier to take your mind off dealing damage and elimination. I feel like playing Mercy is playing a game within the game. The game being keeping everyone at full health at all times.

It’s just an interesting angle. Instead of making decisions in intense situations of who to take out first, I need to focus on who to keep alive at all costs. Which naturally should be everyone, but that’s rarely a real concept when push comes to shove.

On a sidenote:
Mercy 1.0 rez felt good. Just as killing two, three opponents by ult as DPS feels good - rezzing two, three people felt good. I can understand the critcism on the old ult, it needed tweaking. What it didn’t need was a complete rework.

Rez as an E ability only caused frustration and toxicity. People screaming ”Rez plz Mercy!”, assuming you always have your ability ready. Assuming you don’t have your own rez management in case things start to go south. A lot of assuming which leads to people thinking you’re an ahole everytime you don’t rez them.

I mean, I don’t yell ”Soldier ult plz!” everytime a Pharah is bullying me. But somehow this new E ability makes people expect you to rez anyhow, anytime. I even got crap for not rezzing while being dead.

The Mercy rework made her less fun to play that way. Some people call it a buff. I say they nerfed the fun.
I was a low silver D.va main, chasing kills, not protecting my team, wondering why I was struggling.

Then I played Mercy for a few games. It was so much fun to watch the fights play out and see what my team was doing. I was actually starting to learn how this game works and started playing the game a lot more overall. I also enjoyed taking care of my team, and that feeling when you countered some big ults with a rez was amazing. I ended up picking Mercy the second I knew I wasn't stealing her from another Mercy main, and had 40+ hours on Mercy in one season. I even started picking up Ana for some flexibility in the healer role. I might have been filling the first few games, but most of it was because she was my favorite hero.

Unfortunately, the rework removed much of the fun of playing Mercy, and D.va got changed at the same time, so I now play Ana/Rein with my old mains as niche picks when the new ones won't work.
01/18/2018 03:48 PMPosted by lemonworld
my reason for picking up mercy:

ive played over 1500h evolve.. (you know, that 2k game that got pretty bad reviews but i still loved it).. and there was a character called VAL (valerie), a support who has a sniper rifle, a med gun. she had a jetpack too (like every hunter in this game).. so i was hyped for playing mercy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1rk9GidwQ

Yeah, I used to play Val a lot as well. Then came Glacial Behemoth, so me and my squad just stopped playing entirely.

I was originally very excited to play Reinhardt because he looked really similar to StarCraft 2's Marines and I love them as well and that Hammer though. Until I saw Mercy. I still play Reinhardt but my main Heroes have always been Support Heroes.
I play Mercy because I always liked support/healers in games. And Mercy feels more strategic for me, I like playing with her because it's more about how you think, position and plan ahead than your mechanical skill. Sure, it's great getting a dps character and killing people, I'm playing with Tracer lately and having some fun and success even, but Mercy is usually who I like to play with, even though my hours on her is more because we needed a Mercy than me wanting to play Mercy. I surely lose less when I play her because, well, rez is great and she is the best healer. Besides that I like her personality, her voice lines, her interactions and the little lore we know about her.

Of course, supporting your team is a really good feeling. Seeing that you literally enabled the dps or tank to get a kill, that you helped them be successful in their strategic thinking is great. So every time that I see Winston for example going after the enemy Mercy and with my help seeing he be able to do his thing and go back to our team is great. Boosting a Soldier that is focusing on Phara and seeing him be able to survive and get the kill is great because I know that he knows that it's his job to stop Phara. Going on a match on QP that only have a Ana and seeing that your Mercy is what is holding the defense or advancing the attack is a great feeling. This sort of thing that makes Mercy worth it for me, being successful in my play and as consequence making everyone having a good feeling by being successful in their play, with my support, makes me feel good. That's the point on being a support for me, helping others to have fun in the game and not feeling frustrated with failure. Rezing people up is also fun, too bad that will be gone.
When I decided to be a flex player and everyone cried if I picked any other healer.
01/18/2018 03:45 PMPosted by BishiDe
Because I can't aim.

edit: All honesty gets you is downvotes I guess..

Because you're implying that Mercy doesn't require aim, which she does if you're using all the tools available to her. If you worded your post in a way that put the blame on how you choose to play Mercy instead of the hero itself then you wouldn't have annoyed some people.
01/18/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Blarg
How many of you Mercy mains out there picked her up to fill as a healer because no one else on the team would switch? That's essentially the reason I ended up as a Mercy main and I'm curious as to how many other people are the same, or if they're different and went into this game voluntarily choosing to play her.

I'd been following the game for a while and she looked the most appealing to me, and I liked the character, so I picked her up and now I'm a Mercy main.

Even though she became less fun, I've stuck with the character since Day 1 of Season 2 (September 1, 2016), which is when I bought the game. Never abandoning Mercy. Even if I must suffer through this garbage they call a "successful rework".
As a character who's just been the spark for nonstop discussion lately, I'm curious about something. This isn't related to the nerf discussion, I just wanna find something out:

How many of you Mercy mains out there picked her up to fill as a healer because no one else on the team would switch? That's essentially the reason I ended up as a Mercy main and I'm curious as to how many other people are the same, or if they're different and went into this game voluntarily choosing to play her.

Out of the friends I have, I feel like half of the people I know who play Mercy do so because she's the easiest healer to pick up and play along with Lucio, and there are so few people willing to heal in general, and I'm wondering if that's part of a larger pattern or just something within my own group.

I pretty much only filled in comp games and damn near every single game was healer. To me, i like mercy the most because she is the most dedicated healer. She doesnt have fancy utility like sleep dart or speed boost/ boop and to be honest, at the time her kit was pretty lackluster but i still enjoyed her the most. I just wish her res was back at being an ultimate. All the people who complained were just people who refused to adapt and counter her effectively and those people who whined are unable to play mercy at the expected level that they portray
As a character who's just been the spark for nonstop discussion lately, I'm curious about something. This isn't related to the nerf discussion, I just wanna find something out:

Out of the friends I have, I feel like half of the people I know who play Mercy do so because she's the easiest healer to pick up and play along with Lucio, and there are so few people willing to heal in general, and I'm wondering if that's part of a larger pattern or just something within my own group.

Okay then, here's a better reason to do just that, at least until the nerfs become part of live: Mercy when learned is a easy gateway to the "higher ranks" that this forum always dreams of.

P.S. Also, nobody cares that your card at the end gets 5-10 upvotes anymore.
I played her because her method of healing was very similar to the method of healing in another FPS game that I liked. Plus, my aim isn't very good, so having an instalock beam helps.

Eventually though, I started to get really bored with playing her, and I've since switched to Moira as my support main.
picked up mercy becauae she was a must pick since mid season 6.
My friends pressured me to play her then I fell in love. Love you baby <3
I started playing her because nobody was playing the healer role. I stopped playing her after the rework. I knew that whole thing was going to be bad news.