enough with Lucio losing his ult

General Discussion
Highly Rated
I see Zen & Mercy do their ults many times in one game but Lucio less
and when you asked why they say they got stunned or killed immediately
this is not good for Lucio as a support
I dont know maybe he needs some buff to make him drop the beat faster
Mercy had her immunity before with the rez
i've been in situations were i've lost nano boost because i was stunned so yeah i'm right there with you
Having spent tons of time playing characters that channel their ults, nah. This just brings you in line with everyone else who can have their entire ultimates wasted if you press Q at the wrong time.

Using an ult should be a risk and require skill to mitigate the chance of losing them.

Likewise, skilled opponents who can anticipate you using your ult and counter deserve to be rewarded. I mean, it's not like it's easy. The windows for Lucion, Ana, Reinhardt, etc are very, very small.
Be smarter when you use it, wait for the enemy to use CC, get back so you don't get shutdown using it.

If you get shutdown by another hero while you're ulting you deserve to lose your ult.
I'd like to see where Lucio lands after the next round of Mercy nerfs before we touch him. My guess is he'll be fine. If it turns out he still to weak to be used, then maybe make his ult cast uninterruptable, like Genjis would be a good tweak. He'd still lose it if he dies while casting of course.
01/27/2018 10:41 PMPosted by DontBanThis1
Be smarter when you use it, wait for the enemy to use CC, get back so you don't get shutdown using it.

If you get shutdown by another hero while you're ulting you deserve to lose your ult.

Or it could just not take 15 seconds for him to hit the ground. That cast animation wasn't put in place for balance purposes it is just eye candy.
01/27/2018 10:39 PMPosted by Arandmoor
Having spent tons of time playing characters that channel their ults, nah. This just brings you in line with everyone else who can have their entire ultimates wasted if you press Q at the wrong time.

Using an ult should be a risk and require skill to mitigate the chance of losing them.

Likewise, skilled opponents who can anticipate you using your ult and counter deserve to be rewarded. I mean, it's not like it's easy. The windows for Lucion, Ana, Reinhardt, etc are very, very small.

This doesn't really make sense for Lucio though. His ult has a GIANT windup and its very short lasting so if you are even a second off you will have wasted it. With Lucio it is a requirement that you are somewhat in the frey when using his ult which also leaves you in a place of being easily killed while he is in the middle of casting it.

If you don't use his ult while in the middle of the fight it will only hit maybe 1 or 2 other people and the timing will be off which means it will effectively done nothing and been worthless.
The difference between most other ults is that Lucio has to be in the center of the fight for it to have full effect.
01/27/2018 10:44 PMPosted by possumcorpse

Or it could just not take 15 seconds for him to hit the ground. That cast animation wasn't put in place for balance purposes it is just eye candy.

I rarely get shut down when ulting on Lucio, just play smart, people should be rewarded for hitting the Lucio while he's ulting.

If Lucio keeps his ult when he dies then we might aswell revert one of the most logical balance changes in OW history, which was to have all ults go to zero as soon as you use them.

If you remove the cast-time you might aswell make every ult in the game instant.

01/27/2018 11:44 PMPosted by Xaron
The difference between most other ults is that Lucio has to be in the center of the fight for it to have full effect.

It has a huge AoE radius, just get LoS of your team and pop it.
Mei: "Freeze! Don't moAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
01/27/2018 11:48 PMPosted by DontBanThis1

01/27/2018 11:44 PMPosted by Xaron

It has a huge AoE radius, just get LoS of your team and pop it.

It has a 15 meter radius that's blocked by lamp posts, the cart, barriers, and other random crap. It isn't like Soldier's ult where you can just sit on one side of the team fight and ult to hit everyone. It's more like Winstons, where you have to be in the center of everyone to get the most effect. As for you never getting interrupted mid cast, it happens a lot the more you play the hero. Lucio's ult happens in a relatively slow and predictable arc. A flashbang or EMP or Sleep Dart interrupting the beat drop, especially as you come in from higher up, happens 5% of the time.
01/28/2018 12:05 AMPosted by Xaron
It has a 15 meter radius that's blocked by lamp posts, the cart, barriers, and other random crap. It isn't like Soldier's ult where you can just sit on one side of the team fight and ult to hit everyone. It's more like Winstons, where you have to be in the center of everyone to get the most effect. As for you never getting interrupted mid cast, it happens a lot the more you play the hero. Lucio's ult happens in a relatively slow and predictable arc. A flashbang or EMP or Sleep Dart interrupting the beat drop, especially as you come in from higher up, happens 5% of the time.

Then just be smarter when you use it.

I don't complain that I lose Genji ult while I'm casting it.
To be fair, Lucio is also the only support who can knock troublesome people out of range before ulting, to keep this very thing from happening
I think he needs a buff to his ultimate in one way or another. Either it needs to be easier to pull off or at the very least, he should get a buff to his stupid slow ult charge.
01/28/2018 12:09 AMPosted by DontBanThis1
01/28/2018 12:05 AMPosted by Xaron

Then just be smarter when you use it.

I don't complain that I lose Genji ult while I'm casting it.

Lucio has no mobility when casting his ult. Genji does. A better comparisson would be Lucio's ult and Bastion's, except everyone complains about the casting time on Bastion's. That still doesn't change the fact that Lucio has to be in the center of the fight to use the ult. It's not a matter of positioning yourself or playing smart, if you're using the ult in reaction to an enemy ult you need to be with the team, in the line of fire.
01/28/2018 12:16 AMPosted by Xaron
Lucio has no mobility when casting his ult. Genji does. A better comparisson would be Lucio's ult and Bastion's, except everyone complains about the casting time on Bastion's. That still doesn't change the fact that Lucio has to be in the center of the fight to use the ult. It's not a matter of positioning yourself or playing smart, if you're using the ult in reaction to an enemy ult you need to be with the team, in the line of fire.

Again, be smarter when you use it.
Losing ultimates on cast was a good thing for this game. It forces you to time the use of your ultimate instead of just using it as a "press q when panic".

This is good advice and a solid factor of play, but...

Is it necessary for Lucio to be thus disadvantaged as to need to play around this while more powerful ults within the same purpose, such as Zen's unless against an Ana with BG at the ready, do not, let alone for no additional reward scaling with that risk?
01/28/2018 12:17 AMPosted by DontBanThis1
01/28/2018 12:16 AMPosted by Xaron

Again, be smarter when you use it.

Again, playing smart isn't a factor. Half of all of it's uses come in reacting to enemy ultimates. If I use Sound Barrier to counter a Tac Visor, I can't stop myself from being targeted in the middle of casting my ult. I can't hide beind cover because anything solid will block my ult, squandering it. I can't dash into a room and dash back out when my ultimate is cast, because I can't just think about myself when casting.
The problem is that sound barrier is a reaction ult.

I'm a Lucio main, I know I use it in reaction to a deadeye, a tacvisor, a death blossom, a barrage...

So the people asking to be smart about how to use it dont really understand Lucio.

Except when you use SB to engage (and that's not most of the time, truly), you dont have time at all to see what's around you. Could be your're the first one in Soldier's visor, could be you're just next to Reaper's blossom, could be you're straight under Pharah's rockets... but you dont have the time, you just have to react imediatly...

So yeah, that ult loss really hurt our boy Lucio, I hope they'll remedy to that sometimes.