I don't know how to handle abuse from players anymore.

General Discussion
I want to start off by saying that Overwatch is currently my favorite game. After 1000 hours in TF2, an update dropped and TF2 stopped working properly for me, so i switched over to Overwatch. It was an amazing decision, and i have made many friends.

But im at a loss at what to do now. I dont want to be stuck in another game where my teammates refuse to switch to help me counter the enemy, and then abuse me for it. After asking quite nicely during a round of quickplay on Volskaya attack, (while playing mercy) I asked if one of any of our players could kindly switch to reaper to help counter the enemy winston.

The first response I got was "No!" from our teams Mei, who shall not be named.
Surprisingly, they had switched off of Mercy to play Mei, despite their top QP times being Mercy and Reaper respectively. After asking: "Why not? We need to counter them if we want to win.", she then proceeded to mock my stuttering and call me stupid, among other things.

What am i supposed to do? Do i report them and just ride out the game while they continue to insult me? Am i allowed to leave the game in this case without fear of being penalized for leaving early?

I am being forced into a situation where one of the only games i actively play daily that i enjoy so so much is also one that is heightening my already problematic anxiety disorder, not to mention ruining the moods of multiple players.

This has already happened to me in quite a few different games of overwatch, and its making me more and more afraid to even play, as i fear going through this experience again. I have always asked people nicely to switch, and despite being polite as possible, i am simply met with insults.

This never happened to me in TF2. Not once. Maybe that was just luck.

But what does Blizzard and the Overwatch team have in place to prevent this in the future? Is there a server where toxic players are banded together the same way nintendo put cheaters on the same server?

What am i supposed to do?
Report for abusive chat. With the report "Thank You" feature when your reports result in some form of action active, now is a better time than ever before to report toxic players.

Trust me when I say it feels good, to feel like you're making a difference.
If you want your team to adjust to something, you should name it without restricting the means to that end at the same time. You do not know your teammates and what they are good at. Refering to a one and only hero as ultimate solution is silly, beg my pardon.

And yea, surely you could report someone for harassing, if he mocks your stuttering or whatever. They report you for forcing your gameplay opinions on them in return. To what end?

Just because a report function is there, does not mean it is the best option. I does not help the community at all.
You've never seen one of the 4 snipers on your team in TF2 not want to switch to medic then tilt at you in the 1000 hours of TF2 you've played? Either you're lying or you are lucky beyond belief.
01/11/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Sengell
If you want your team to adjust to something, you should name it without restricting the means to that end at the same time. You do not know your teammates and what they are good at. Refering to a one and only hero as ultimate solution is silly, beg my pardon.

I agree, perhaps it was a mistake to suggest reaper, but all the same it was the only counter i know of for tanks, and one i now switch to regularly. All the same, what do i do when im the only healer? i dont want to abandon my team, despite it all.
Some players aren't mature enough to listen to their teammates, and the best thing you can do is to just accept that. You can't control your teammates, but you can control your own actions. Rather than telling someone what to do, just try your best to adapt to the situation. Most of the time I have to be the one to change my hero to aid the composition since I know my teammates are stubborn and won't listen to me no matter how nice I ask.

I also recommend since you have anxiety disorder to turn off voice chat and text chat, at least temporary. Don't worry if you think you'll be missing important information, you're still able to play the game normally and be at peace while doing so.
01/11/2018 08:32 AMPosted by Indominus
You've never seen one of the 4 snipers on your team in TF2 not want to switch to medic then tilt at you in the 1000 hours of TF2 you've played? Either you're lying or you are lucky beyond belief.

I haven't, honestly. My experience was nothing but positive, mostly because i stayed off a lot of the public lobbies.
You gotta stop being so toxic to your teammates and telling them to swap.
01/11/2018 08:27 AMPosted by CaptainKlue

Stop being so sensitive would be a start.
01/11/2018 08:35 AMPosted by DoctorArmond
You gotta stop being so toxic to your teammates and telling them to swap.

Well, im not being toxic. I made that a new years resolution, and so far i have done well at keeping it. I did not tell them to swap, i asked nicely if one of our teammates could kindly switch. There is nothing toxic about it. The goal of the game is to work together as a team, is it not?

01/11/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Fafil
Some players aren't mature enough to listen to their teammates, and the best thing you can do is to just accept that. You can't control your teammates, but you can control your own actions. Rather than telling someone what to do, just try your best to adapt to the situation. Most of the time I have to be the one to change my hero to aid the composition since I know my teammates are stubborn and won't listen to me no matter how nice I ask.

I also recommend since you have anxiety disorder to turn off voice chat and text chat, at least temporary. Don't worry if you think you'll be missing important information, you're still able to play the game normally and be at peace while doing so.

I think i may just take your suggestion and do so. It pains me not being able to make important callouts, but i will give it a try all the same.
just report them because at this point the report system isn't safe from anyone including innocents. Don't get mad anymore, but just understand they're fun is very toxic than normal fun.
01/11/2018 08:37 AMPosted by HanzoMaker
01/11/2018 08:27 AMPosted by CaptainKlue

Stop being so sensitive would be a start.

....no.
Report them for bad teamwork and play with friends, it's the only way I found to save yourself of this constant suffering, I used to Solo Q when I started to play and it was pain.

I became a Mercy main by accident because of it, no one wanted to be healer and my aim was on the floor back then so Mercy was the only logical choice at that moment, later I took Ana but I was still support, only with friends I can’t pick other heroes we interchange roles and act to counter the enemy team and you don't have to deal with toxic people

Also turn off chat, you are not missing anything and you can still play perfectly fine without it
I like your attitude of wanting to win and counterpick, but that's sadly not how it always plays out. I would've stopped playing ow by now if I were only solo queuing. Gladly I always got at least a friend with me when queuing who has my back in games, wether it is by playing healer so I can play dps or having a word when someone starts being abusive.

And don't be afraid of playing, there are tons of other players out there that will try to work with you and be super nice people.
01/11/2018 08:30 AMPosted by VeniWotwot
Report for abusive chat. With the report "Thank You" feature when your reports result in some form of action active, now is a better time than ever before to report toxic players.

Trust me when I say it feels good, to feel like you're making a difference.

This. I don't say anything. I just report and move on. They stepped up their game in the new year. I get at least one confirmation a day - I don't report that much or really only report for sincerely and insanely abusive chat. Violence threats, just full on verbal abuse of the team or someone from the other team doing it to their team over match chat -- so the one a day confirmation should tell you just how much garbage this game collects. So to the OP - absolutely report the person for mocking your stuttering. That's abusive chat and they likely will be actioned.

That being said - you can't report someone for a weird hero pick. Just ask and be nice - and say hey you keep getting countered or "Why did you get off of Mercy?" If they refuse then just try your best. In those situations, best to take the high road. There is nothing inthe game to prevent off hero picks or a person picking off a support to a DPS.
Well I am assuming you never played TF2 judging by the OP... Comparing OW QP to TF2 QP is nonsense. TF2 QP is actually must worse than OW will ever be in regards to playing QP effectively. Why? Well two main reasons. 1) its free and 2) because its free, there are alot more new players; because there are a lot more new players and the learning curve in TF2 is much much harder to learn than OW due to the lack of information given to a new player within the game, makes most QP games in TF2 nothing but a brawl . OW QP does everything much better including team play.

So when you compare the two, your argument is null and void.
01/11/2018 08:47 AMPosted by CookCrack
Well I am assuming you never played TF2 judging by the OP... Comparing OW QP to TF2 QP is nonsense. TF2 QP is actually must worse than OW will ever be in regards to playing QP effectively. Why? Well two main reasons. 1) its free and 2) because its free, there are alot more new players; because there are a lot more new players and the learning curve in TF2 is much much harder to learn than OW due to the lack of information given to a new player within the game, makes most QP games in TF2 nothing but a brawl . OW QP does everything much better including team play.

So when you compare the two, your argument is null and void.

I didnt compare the games themselves, just the communities. strange i know.
There's a very easy solution to this problem. Put the notion of Solo queuing entirely from your mind.

Get yourself a pool of 3-4 friends who you play with and stick to group chat. This is what I started doing a few months ago and it has drastically improved my game experience.

Solo queuing is just a clusterfu*k. You get matched with 5 idiots who don't know what they're doing and who have never even heard the phrase 'team composition' before.

tl;dr queue with buddies. That way you're guaranteed good company and good players on your team.