I don't know how to handle abuse from players anymore.

General Discussion
The goal of the game is to work together as a team, is it not?

For many folks, especially in QP, no, that is not the goal.
Some folks just want to go shoot stuff, regardless of objectives.
Some folks just want to try out other heroes they don't get to play much, regardless of what their main is.
And some people just want to watch the world burn.
01/11/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Chublis
There's a very easy solution to this problem. Put the notion of Solo queuing entirely from your mind.

Get yourself a pool of 3-4 friends who you play with and stick to group chat. This is what I started doing a few months ago and it has drastically improved my game experience.

Solo queuing is just a clusterfu*k. You get matched with 5 idiots who don't know what they're doing and who have never even heard the phrase 'team composition' before.

tl;dr queue with buddies. That way you're guaranteed good company and good players on your team.

Many users are already suggesting this, and its really looking to be my only option since there is no guarantee that action will be taken, especially since there appears to be no immediate solution either.
I just report and block them. I don't have time to deal with it. If they throw because I blocked them, I report them again.

Had that happen to a guy who was trash talking everyone because he had bad positioning. Blaming the healers that he died in a 1v5. Once he found out half the peeps muted him he started complaining to the few that didn't that he was going to throw if we didn't unmute/unblock him. So we all just reported him again and moved on after taking the L.

I only have so much time to enjoy myself between shifts. Not going to squander it on a manchild.
What you're "supposed to do" is use the tools Blizzard provided us with to deal with these jerks. By not using them, you're subjecting yourself to "abuse".

Report the user and block/mute them. Once that's been done, they are no longer capable of "abusing" you. You have effectively removed them from your life.

Do this and your gaming experience will be much better.

Also, if playing ow is negatively affecting your mental health, consider taking a break until you think you can handle hearing Internet meanwords and/or utilizing the block feature.
Sounds to me like you don't want to handle it yourself.
01/11/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Osprey
What you're "supposed to do" is use the tools Blizzard provided us with to deal with these jerks. By not using them, you're subjecting yourself to "abuse".

Report the user and block/mute them. Once that's been done, they are no longer capable of "abusing" you. You have effectively removed them from your life.

Do this and your gaming experience will be much better.

Also, if playing ow is negatively affecting your mental health, consider taking a break until you think you can handle hearing Internet meanwords and/or utilizing the block feature.

I have been using the tools provided, Im not subjecting myself to anything. I just want to enjoy my favorite game.
01/11/2018 08:27 AMPosted by CaptainKlue
What am i supposed to do?

Play your own hero and try and enjoy the game. Asking your team mate to switch was fine. Starting to argue with him when he said no was your mistake. People specifically play QP so they don't feel pressured to have the perfect comp and they can just enjoy the game.
01/11/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Buttercult

Play your own hero and try and enjoy the game. Asking your team mate to switch was fine. Starting to argue with him when he said no was your mistake. People specifically play QP so they don't feel pressured to have the perfect comp and they can just enjoy the game.

I actually didnt have time to argue with her, funnily enough. What you read in my initial post is all i got to say. The disconnection five seconds later due to inclement weather ensured that.
The tricky thing is that noone can know for sure, what those "important callouts" might be.

Your opponents have a head too. They might react to whatever you decide to do as a team. It is hard to anticipate.
Your field of vision and perception of the game is limited and subjective. It might very well be that at other places of the battle similar or even more important matters would need to be addressed. If you call out for a change and it gets done accordingly, your team loses something in return which was in place formerly.

Making callouts while not knowing your weapons and ammunition is a gamble at best. You do not know what you have with your team. The only person and capabilities you know, is yourself. so how could you decide for others? How could you make demands with the honest intention for the best? You just cannot know.

And finally why should your callout be more important than the callout others might have in their heads?

Your asumptions how this game shall be played and how cooperation is achieved just fall far too short.

Like I said previously. I would adress situations and dangers. How people come up with solutions is their decision, not mine.

OWL showed it clearly yesterday. There are limitless solutions to all kind of problems. It is just limited by peoples creativity and ingenuity. A player can adapt greatly without changing his hero aswell. That is way accusing someone of throwing is just outright stupid. You just assume he could have done better following your lead and blame him for his choice not to do so. Most real throwers are refusing because they do not like choices others make, allthough those others try to win in all honesty. That is paradox.
Comparing TF2 and OW doesnt work imo. They are both classed based "team" shooters but the foundations are slightly different. OW is 6v6 and extremely team based and depends FAR more on actual team work and communication than TF2.

TF2 can be 12 on 12 (or more) and just a giant !@#$ fest of craziness that makes no sense sometimes. It can also be played solo as hell and you can still have mindless fun. Its not competitive so you can sit there on one map for hours just mucking around. You can play the objective or not, doesnt matter. There are so many varibles when it comes to the difference between the two that they cant be compared properly.

I, too, have over 1000 hours on it. It'll always have a place in my heart but its time to move on.
I want to start off by saying that Overwatch is currently my favorite game. After 1000 hours in TF2, an update dropped and TF2 stopped working properly for me, so i switched over to Overwatch. It was an amazing decision, and i have made many friends.

But im at a loss at what to do now. I dont want to be stuck in another game where my teammates refuse to switch to help me counter the enemy, and then abuse me for it. After asking quite nicely during a round of quickplay on Volskaya attack, (while playing mercy) I asked if one of any of our players could kindly switch to reaper to help counter the enemy winston.

The first response I got was "No!" from our teams Mei, who shall not be named.
Surprisingly, they had switched off of Mercy to play Mei, despite their top QP times being Mercy and Reaper respectively. After asking: "Why not? We need to counter them if we want to win.", she then proceeded to mock my stuttering and call me stupid, among other things.

What am i supposed to do? Do i report them and just ride out the game while they continue to insult me? Am i allowed to leave the game in this case without fear of being penalized for leaving early?

I am being forced into a situation where one of the only games i actively play daily that i enjoy so so much is also one that is heightening my already problematic anxiety disorder, not to mention ruining the moods of multiple players.

This has already happened to me in quite a few different games of overwatch, and its making me more and more afraid to even play, as i fear going through this experience again. I have always asked people nicely to switch, and despite being polite as possible, i am simply met with insults.

This never happened to me in TF2. Not once. Maybe that was just luck.

But what does Blizzard and the Overwatch team have in place to prevent this in the future? Is there a server where toxic players are banded together the same way nintendo put cheaters on the same server?

Quickplay isn't for serious gaming. It's a live fire training ground to play around in.
If I'm not playing with afew of my friends I play with voice chat volume down at zero. The experience is just at least for me 100x better without some 30 year old neckbeard screaming at me, people with open mics or a 12 year old with a really high pitched voice.
Quite frankly you're extremely lucky if you NEVER encountered that in 1k hours of TF2. I never used voice chat in it and I haven't in OW, but I've found hundreds upon probably thousands of toxic players in both games.

Anywho. For people like us with bad anxiety, the only thing I can offer you is this: do not join voice chat. Mute your text chat. It's unfortunate that Blizzard isn't cracking down more on this kind of bad behavior that people constantly have in-game, and it's horrible that so many children of all ages act like this...

This isn't a solution, however. It's like putting a circle dot bandage on an amputated limb. It's barely a fix.