[Megathread] Disappointed in the Balance in Overwatch

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 15 Next
It's obvious that Blizzard's sole focus for Overwatch's development is the Overwatch League. They've clearly put an immense amount of time and resources into it. However, right now, I would say that this issue is actually the #1 problem with the OWL. The production values are amazing and all, but the matches just aren't that fun to watch. The biggest problem is that the game is too static. Tracer / Mercy / Winston are guaranteed for both teams. Genji and Zen are also almost always present on both sides. You can only watch so many matches of this before they start to run together and you get bored. Even the commentators agree that the game is most exciting when someone does something unexpected, but right now due to the terrible balance this rarely happens. The audience isn't going to stick around for a whole season of the same thing over and over again, if Blizz wants to get something out of this investment, they need to look into the game balance.
01/14/2018 10:43 AMPosted by SALOCH1N
01/14/2018 02:35 AMPosted by Bloggerman
...This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think they should balance the game around low rank players. There is a reason why they are in low ranks and that is because the lack of mechanical skill, game sense and/or map awareness. As long as they don't improve their gameplay and overcome these obstacles that aren't obstacles in mid to higher ranks, will they have to deal with these "problems".

The whole point of competitive is to climb and to only way to climb is to improve your gameplay.
First off sym and torb aren't even strong in low tiers I've been bronze and I hover around gold and she's not strong
I'm not surprised.

They are just too easy to counter. All you need is a hitscan hero or any other hero who can attack from a safe distance.
BUmp
01/12/2018 03:16 PMPosted by Bloggerman
Again ignoring underpowered heroes.

Logical, well-written post. Have an upvote.

I totally agree with the whole "we'd rather have playable heroes than new content" thing, so I'll put this in bold since Blizzard seems to think otherwise:

Yes, I would enjoy new skins and whatnot for my "popular" mains like Tracer, Orisa, and Moira. But I'd rather play them with base cosmetics if it meant my "unpopular" mains like Sym and Mei were even remotely viable again.

Also, if you guys want to stop toxicity, then here's a great idea.
Try having characters who are not seen as throwing in Overwatch.
Having players reported before a match has started because the said player picked an off-meta is not okay.

[/quote]

Why do you blame Blizzard for the toxicity of the community?

People on here demand a Scatter Arrow nerf and at the same time scream at Hanzo to switch. Do you see the hypocrisy?
If he would get his SA removed he would be even more of a "throw" pick.
So, what should Blizz do? Remove scatter to stop the crying and making Hanzo even more inconsistent with his damage and "fuel the toxicity" towards off-meta heros?

It's simply that this community is braindead and Blizzard can't possibly to anything about it, no matter the amount of nerfs/buffs/changes to heroes.
01/13/2018 04:28 AMPosted by Sandity
Here's to hoping they actually take our feedback in concerns into consideration instead of ignoring us. We don't want all heros to have equal play time. That's just absurd. Its just dumb to have only half the roster be viable most of the time.

Clap, clap.... pause.... clap

Amen

Also, if you guys want to stop toxicity, then here's a great idea.
Try having characters who are not seen as throwing in Overwatch.
Having players reported before a match has started because the said player picked an off-meta is not okay.

Why do you blame Blizzard for the toxicity of the community?

"Switch off Mei. She isn't Meta!"
"Report Bloggerman for throwing."
"If he doesn't switch then I will throw."

Blizzard can never stop the toxicity of the community.
Blizzard can however control the reasons for the toxicity of the community.

How, you might ask.
By making the F-tier heroes viable.

So yes, I blame Blizzard for the toxicity of the community.
01/15/2018 01:12 AMPosted by Artorias
People on here demand a Scatter Arrow nerf and at the same time scream at Hanzo to switch. Do you see the hypocrisy?
If he would get his SA removed he would be even more of a "throw" pick.
So, what should Blizz do? Remove scatter to stop the crying and making Hanzo even more inconsistent with his damage and "fuel the toxicity" towards off-meta heros?
You even say it yourself.
By having off-meta/F-tier heroes underpowered will they always be the target of toxicity.

Take a look at OWL.
Heck, just take a look at the stats of competitive play.

You will see that only 8 heroes are viable. As soon if you pick one of the other 18 characters will you be labeled as a thrower or troll.
You can even get reported for this. We already seen a lot of post of off-meta one-tricks getting banned, so it's not something that hasn't happened before.
01/15/2018 01:12 AMPosted by Artorias
It's simply that this community is braindead and Blizzard can't possibly to anything about it, no matter the amount of nerfs/buffs/changes to heroes.
They can, but they haven't tried it.
Players have been asking for buffs and reworks for F-tier heroes for almost 2 year, and the developers haven't tried a single thing to make them more viable. Sure, Symmetra got a rework, but after that is she ignored. Instead did they focus more on the popular heroes like Genji, Mercy and Junkrat.

We have Symmetra and Mei with a pickrate below 1% since season 2.
What does the devs do first?

Rework Dva. Multiple times.
Nerf Roadhog. (Later buffed.)
Buff Mccree. (Deadeye.)
Buff Reaper. (Lifesteal)
Rework Mercy. (Later nerfed.)
Buff Junkrat. (Later nerfed.)
And now do they want to buff/rework Hanzo.

So I don't think the community is braindead.
  • Players are sick and tired of the slow rate of balancing.
  • Players are sick and tired of the often wrong balancing.
  • Players are sick and tired of having the same heroes in F-tier for over 2 year.
  • Players are sick and tired of having these F-tier heroes ignored.

Rightfully so if I may say.

The balancing in Overwatch is wack and I fully blame the developers for this. Not the community.
Let's be real, guys. They don't want to buff Torb/Sym/Mei because they're counters to Tracer and Genji. Duh.
I think another of the main issues besides all of what the OP has said which I completely agree with, is the fact that there’s not even an acknowledgement that they know these heroes need work or are looking into it..... look at the symmetra’s megathread with almost 6k replies so far and not even a single blue dev response.

I too was crushed with Jeff latest interview is like all their focus is on iverwatch league + top tier dps heroes which make the meta, I completely believe that if the pro’s hadn’t said anything + the almost 100% usage of mercy on pro mathes that she would still be unnerfed on the PTR....

There’s a huge lack of communication where real issues lie....but to inform us that new skins/maps etc is coming they are so present....

I’m not saying new content is bad, the contrsry that’s what keeps the game alive but the neglect of these two haracters and some more is a huge slap to the face.
01/15/2018 04:31 AMPosted by mayora13
Let's be real, guys. They don't want to buff Torb/Sym/Mei because they're counters to Tracer and Genji. Duh.
I don't know if this is true, but if it isn't, then it's a huge coincidence that most F-tier heroes are defense (hybrids) heroes who should counter flankers.
I would bet my life savings if tracer was as bad as say sym she would be fixed in a month
01/15/2018 09:01 AMPosted by SALOCH1N
I would bet my life savings if tracer was as bad as say sym she would be fixed in a month
No doubt about that.
She's the beloved poster girl after all.
You know what?

What is literally the point of having beautiful skins like Change, Beekeeper (I think it’s adorable), Dragon, Oasis etc.

IF WE EITHER CAN’T OR ARE BULLIED OFF MEI AND SYMMETRA BECAUSE THEY ARE SO WOEFULLY NEGLECTED.
I just want sombra to stop being the only hero who can have her speed cancelled by something less than a stun.
It is a little suspicious that most f-tier heroes are antiflankers.

Sym, Mei, and Torb are all heroes that neither Genji nor Tracer can deal with reliably. If they buff them, Overwatch Dive League would have to use a more diverse hero pool, and God forbid that any hero other than the ones in advertisements for the game should show up there, so....
Sombra shack used to take one second and was lowers because it was too slow

Yet sym turrets take 2 seconds to put up and fire

wat
This post cannot fie, and to answer the question, it turns out the devs can keep ignoring for quite a while, however long they stick their fingers in their ears and scream. There have been so many highly rated balance threads without a response and one balance patch in the last 3.5months of the spam meta, only to sledge hammer nerf mercy and make Junkrat more inconsistent. Please Jeff, what happened to responses to most highly rated posts? The community is getting very tired of this.
01/15/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Fiji

Sym, Mei, and Torb are all heroes that neither Genji nor Tracer can deal with reliably. If they buff them, Overwatch Dive League would have to use a more diverse hero pool, and God forbid that any hero other than the ones in advertisements for the game should show up there, so....
Im pretty sure it’s been stated they liked fast paced gameplay for owl

So it makes sense to leave characters that force the game to slow down behind
01/15/2018 10:39 AMPosted by TheReinhardt
01/15/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Fiji

Im pretty sure it’s been stated they liked fast paced gameplay for owl

So it makes sense to leave characters that force the game to slow down behind
It would explain why they gave Junkrat a second mine. They did say that he could use it for greater mobility.

So they are basically forcing the dive meta, which many players are already sick and tired of.
Geez, thanks Blizzard.
I agree how stupid this whole thing is but something ironic and amusing I wanted to point out was this.

Beyond that I think there are three major focuses. One, improve player friendliness toward one another. Protecting our players from one another more. Curbing toxicity wherever possible.

A player like XQC is actively promoted by Blizzard and allowed to play in the OWL because they choose to ignore the fact that they've banned him from playing the game on several occasions and all the footage of him being toxic in competitive, I can't even begin to imagine that if Blizzard genuinely tried to balance f-tier heroes they wouldn't screw it up considering Kaplan says they want to curb toxicity but can't even do that right and wind up promoting toxic players.

Real quick edit: just want to specify this isn't me !@#$%ing about XQC's behaviour and more the complete lack of self awareness Kaplan and the OW team has regarding literally anything.