50/50 win rate

Competitive Discussion
MAKES every god damn season I have played look like I have achieved 0 progress as a player. This needs to stop! Yeah I know you can't win them all and off days exist but holy hell this is a stupid game mechanic that turns people away. Plus the fact that even when you win because it's not a big SR gain (Ex: I win I get 15 SR, I lose i get 16 SR deduced)
01/27/2018 06:28 AMPosted by TexMan
a stupid game mechanic

Ehrm... it is not as much a "game mechanic" as a thing that will happen naturally in a ladder.

How do you think it should be handled instead? Make sure TexMan has a higher winrate than everyone else no matter how they play?
01/27/2018 06:43 AMPosted by Garrek
a stupid game mechanic

Ehrm... it is not as much a "game mechanic" as a thing that will happen naturally in a ladder.

How do you think it should be handled instead? Make sure TexMan has a higher winrate than everyone else no matter how they play?

No, actually reward players for playing well as a team by creating team based stats. Like If rein has a shield up and blocks a dva mech or a hammer, put that as a Teamwork stat not just a dmg block. Or if Lucio boops a player out of range or a charging rein into hitting a wall than another player. Or an Ult shutdown stat like Zen trance vs blade or Ult combos like grav/barrage or blade or pulse. Reward people based on teamwork stats while adjusting the individual (So that people are in correct rank) and also reward players who work as a team so that they can be grouped with other team players and so that when you rank up, the matches get better(Like put people who play well vs others who play well and that way the match can stay 50/50) instead of "Hey this character is doing too good, well we can't have a player having fun, lets make sure he loses 300+ SR".
See

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759379305

and

03/02/2017 07:35 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
We're always trying to put you in fair matches that we think you have a 50% chance to win, and do it quickly so you're playing Overwatch instead of staring at a queue timer. We never intentionally seek to put you in an unfair one.

I've seen comments like "I just won three games in a row, so the matchmaker put me in a bad stomp to get back to a 50% win rate". It doesn't do anything like that at all. It just keeps on trying to find fair matches. If you do win more than you lose, your SR will slowly go up. As that happens it'll also put you up stronger opponents that match your new SR. That's not so you lose, it's to keep your matches fair.

There's one other thing to remember, though. The results of a match that the matchmaker thought was perfectly fair don't always result in a match that is hard fought every meter of the payload and you win by just holding them off from reaching the final checkpoint at 0:00 time remaining. Matches with teams of equal skill result in 3-0 stomps more than you think. Maybe an early fight snowballed out of control due to staggered spawns, maybe a player decided he was going to try to pickup a new hero that match, or perhaps your's cat decided to play with your keyboard right before you used that Graviton Surge and it wildly missed its mark. We're all human, and we don't perform at the perfectly same level all the time. It's one of the reasons competitive games are so much fun to play and watch.
Yo, TexMan!

I'm a three times master league Zenyatta main from the EU servers who is looking to improve as a coach/analysist by making vod reviews for anyone willing to improve!

It's important to reflect on the games we play in a slowed down setting to truely figure out where we can improve/benefit the most to up that winpercentage bit by bit. Keeping us from solidifying mistakes into our plays.

You can see previous made vodreviews on my youtube channel here;
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gulzath/videos
Or if you are interested in submitting a vod yourself feel free join my Discord here;
https://discord.gg/rtRhSqH
Hoping to help! Have a good one, and glgl hfhf my man!
01/27/2018 07:11 AMPosted by Kozan
Yo, TexMan!

I'm a three times master league Zenyatta main from the EU servers who is looking to improve as a coach/analysist by making vod reviews for anyone willing to improve!

It's important to reflect on the games we play in a slowed down setting to truely figure out where we can improve/benefit the most to up that winpercentage bit by bit. Keeping us from solidifying mistakes into our plays.

You can see previous made vodreviews on my youtube channel here;
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gulzath/videos
Or if you are interested in submitting a vod yourself feel free join my Discord here;
https://discord.gg/rtRhSqH
Hoping to help! Have a good one, and glgl hfhf my man!

I don't know about TexMan, but I'm due for another VoD review. Which recording software do you recommend? I've been using fraps, but I get frame drops in game when I try to play at 144 Hz (even when I'm recording at 60).
01/27/2018 06:51 AMPosted by TexMan
No, actually reward players for playing well as a team by creating team based stats.

Your suggestions are incredibly unrealistic. Who do you want to programm that? How long should it take? Do u want Blizzard to stop developing the game for years so they can try to code a system that will track everything a player does in a game while identifying how much that contributed to the objective?

01/27/2018 06:51 AMPosted by TexMan
"Hey this character is doing too good, well we can't have a player having fun, lets make sure he loses 300+ SR"

Now that's just mindless ranting.
I mean this in the most positive way possible. Take a break from the game. Tunnel vision, over playing, sr obsession will inevitably make you play worse and you won't even realize it. If it's possible, look through my post history. I've been exactly where you are. I've even been recently suspended from the forums because I've gotten way too toxic. I haven't played in 2 weeks. I watch my favorite streamers play and of course owl. I'm starting to feel the love of the game coming back.

I wish you luck. I strongly think that you need a break.
MAKES every god damn season I have played look like I have achieved 0 progress as a player. This needs to stop! Yeah I know you can't win them all and off days exist but holy hell this is a stupid game mechanic that turns people away. Plus the fact that even when you win because it's not a big SR gain (Ex: I win I get 15 SR, I lose i get 16 SR deduced)

If you have achieved a 50/50 win/lose rate then congratulations, you have reached your skill tier. If you win an average of 50% you are where you need to be. The point of the system is to bring you to the tier of play you belong which means a 50% average win ratio. It doesn't force you to win or lose games. If you are winning against the people it places at the same tier, it places you against harder opponents to gauge if you should be somewhere higher. If you then lose, it puts you then against weaker players.