Why do people think they are at pro level.

General Discussion
So many times i have seen people say i am pro level when im not holding back. Or I'm only stuck in silver cus of my team if i had better teammates id be gm or top 500. Like what goes through the minds of these people. Lol if they where at pro level they would be pro. not some guy who is to scared to leave QP or someone who cant get out of silver.
You don't have fun in games, you use them to prove that you're better than everyone else. Obviously.
They're self-deluding.

More pertinent question since you're here and they're not: why do you care? Ignore them and move on. You won't find peace, have fun, or improve your skills by trying to decipher the inherently irrational.
Have you seen Egg play? pft! I dont need a team, they’re just there as accessories
01/25/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Ashriel
They're self-deluding.

More pertinent question since you're here and they're not: why do you care? Ignore them and move on. You won't find peace, have fun, or improve your skills by trying to decipher the inherently irrational.

Cus i see it on the forums all the time aswell. and im just asking what is in these guys minds. that make them think that way. tbh when i hear someone say it me and my friends just make fun of them the rest of the game. Cus they always give the best reactions.
01/25/2018 12:57 PMPosted by HayateDragon
01/25/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Ashriel
They're self-deluding.

Cus i see it on the forums all the time aswell. and im just asking what is in these guys minds. that make them think that way. tbh when i hear someone say it me and my friends just make fun of them the rest of the game. Cus they always give the best reactions.

So you start throwing whenever makes the claim that they're pro level? Being toxic and making fun of them will generally tilt them, making them play worse, which more often then not you'll end up losing. Any games you won while doing that were either because the guy/ girl had a sense of humor when you did it, or the enemy team was that bad. Either way, you shouldn't throw, not matter the reason.
The Dunning-Kruger effect is making the rounds everywhere in society these days.

Basically, it's about how people of low ability think they're way better than they are, or the too-dumb-to-know-how-dumb-you-are mentality.
01/25/2018 01:00 PMPosted by kosaba11
01/25/2018 12:57 PMPosted by HayateDragon

So you start throwing whenever makes the claim that they're pro level? Being toxic and making fun of them will generally tilt them, making them play worse, which more often then not you'll end up losing. Any games you won while doing that were either because the guy/ girl had a sense of humor when you did it, or the enemy team was that bad. Either way, you shouldn't throw, not matter the reason.

When did i say we throw? please show in my comment i said i throw games.
I am a pro level noob
To be honest there are a lot of players who are probably high gold/plat but the match making is so bad its nearly impossible to climb anymore
01/25/2018 12:47 PMPosted by HayateDragon
So many times i have seen people say i am pro level when im not holding back. Or I'm only stuck in silver cus of my team if i had better teammates id be gm or top 500. Like what goes through the minds of these people. Lol if they where at pro level they would be pro. not some guy who is to scared to leave QP or someone who cant get out of silver.
just them them believe themselves. The people that constantly blame other people for where they are at in the game will never advance. Seen it plenty of times.
01/25/2018 01:01 PMPosted by HayateDragon
01/25/2018 01:00 PMPosted by kosaba11

Purposefully tilting and making fun of someone on your team is throwing.
01/25/2018 12:47 PMPosted by HayateDragon

They never played against higher tier players. I also thought i am probly one of the best god damn Mercy's back then in 1.0...i mean i got a lot of "Wow great Mercy!" and "want to team up!" but it's a coooooooooompletely different story when every wrong step results in your death because a master gm Widow onetrick blows your head off (As an example.) Honestly in My "Tracer" season i also thought i am damn good until i got near diamond. Then i realized "Well...looks like you really can't carry at a certain point all by yourself" That Changing of Mind helped me going to Diamond on my First account who started in Bronze 2-3 Seasons back. :)

Edit: I have a smurf, level 25 and there i played in qp against Masters and Gm's and such.
Ego is a fragile thing.

We see people look for meaning and purpose and validation regularly, and so it is natural to want to find those things during past-times you choose to take up.

I like to believe I am AMAZING at my job, but I am more than likely simply average. Thing is, I don't have a badge or scoresheet telling me if I am or not, so my belief remains unchecked (thankfully).

Instead, we have actual rank, and when that rank does not give us the validation that we crave, many rage against it. It is actually a scientifically documented supported phenomenon that, when presented with facts contrary to our beliefs, most people with cling more strongly to their original belief rather than accept the new reality.

I wanted to think I was great at Overwatch, then I played comp... and... damn. I am simply a little below average. I can accept it because I did not believe all that strongly that I was good, but if you tried to show me facts that said I wasn't AMAZING at my job, I might get really hostile as a knee-jerk reaction.
Psychological projection. Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.

Basically, people have hard time admitting they contributed to the failure of the match, by not seeing their own mistakes. Example: helping your team members.

The perspective of “oh I have x gold medals” I must be doing really well but my teams suck, must be attributed to the person not seeing is that is not only him/her playing, is a team effort.

So does not matter if you have x amount of golds, the person could have done more by helping the others.
Those are just the people that like to fantasize that they are a pro player who streams on twitch and makes youtube videos for their fans to enjoy. They imagine that they will get paid 50K or more a year just to play a game. Get all the people in the fandom hoping that one day they too can rise to the top!

Deep down they wish they could have that kind of lifestyle, but are sadly brought back to the grim reality that they are average people... playing a video game to unwind after a long day of B.S from their school/work and social lives.

It's a dream many way, but few achieve.

It's up to you to yank them out of the fantasy, OP. Dominate in the game and let them cry.
Most people ARE bad, but matchmaking in general doesn't help the issue, even if you ARE good enough to rank up, you probably won't be able to do so.
If you haven't played in silver I'm not sure you realize just how bad it can be. A lot more people simply don't give a !@#$. There is minimal if any team work. People would rather lose than change hero. Now GM or top 500 is a joke, but yeah it's certainly possible for a gold to get stuck down there, maybe even plat. I think once you get to mid gold people care a lot more about trying to advance. In silver yer practically at the bottom so the I don't give a %^-* attitude comes in. I know this will get down votes, and I don't think I'm any better than gold, but I've lived this firsthand before. No it's not impossible to climb out (and I have), but I also think there is at least something to the claim.
They watch OWL and see the pros whiff 6 ults and think, "I would never do that, I'm better than that."
01/25/2018 01:09 PMPosted by kosaba11
01/25/2018 01:01 PMPosted by HayateDragon

Purposefully tilting and making fun of someone on your team is throwing.

If they bring the subject up they are already tilting. So making fun of him for being tilted already wont change the outcome.