What would you like to see replace Resurrect and Valkyrie?

General Discussion
So it's overwhelmingly clear that resurrect needs to go. This would also mean Valkyrie needs to be changed.

What would you like to see replace these abilities?
Why does it need to go? Old Mercy was trash with Rez. Maybe it's the Rework that needs to go
Personally, I think tf2 did autolock beam healing the best.

If they made Mercy's ultimate work as eight seconds of invincibility for her heal target and herself, or work as eight seconds of critical hits (every shot counts as a headshot) for her heal target, that'd probably be fairly fun and balanced.

I also think that all healers should be given heal ramp-up, which the tf2 wiki describes as:

The healing rate is linearly based upon how long ago the target was last damaged. If the target was damaged less than 10 seconds ago, then they are healed at the normal rate of 24 health per second. From 10 to 15 seconds, this rate increases linearly from 24 up to a maximum of 72 health per second. This mechanic is in place to encourage falling back to heal, as without the boosted healing rate, players often found that fighting, dying, and respawning was quicker than falling back, being healed to full, then re-engaging.

I don't think there is any reason that healing an out of combat D.Va should take 10 seconds for Mercy, let alone 20 seconds for Zenyatta.
01/14/2018 06:41 AMPosted by EMc73

If they made Mercy's ultimate work as eight seconds of invincibility for her heal target and herself, or work as eight seconds of critical hits (every shot counts as a headshot) for her heal target, that'd probably be fairly fun and balanced.

I also think that all healers should be given heal ramp-up, which the tf2 wiki describes as:

The healing rate is linearly based upon how long ago the target was last damaged. If the target was damaged less than 10 seconds ago, then they are healed at the normal rate of 24 health per second. From 10 to 15 seconds, this rate increases linearly from 24 up to a maximum of 72 health per second. This mechanic is in place to encourage falling back to heal, as without the boosted healing rate, players often found that fighting, dying, and respawning was quicker than falling back, being healed to full, then re-engaging.

I don't think there is any reason that healing an out of combat D.Va should take 20 seconds for Zenyatta.

I too like the "Ubercharge" idea, it would combine very nicely with damage boost to help push choke points without needing to rely on perfect team synergy or a riptire.
01/14/2018 06:34 AMPosted by d0mesplitter
So it's overwhelmingly clear that resurrect needs to go.

No it's not, though?

Dont try so hard to push stupid ideas.
01/14/2018 06:38 AMPosted by Mirrorkat
Why does it need to go? Old Mercy was trash with Rez. Maybe it's the Rework that needs to go

.....that counters itself.
Old Mercy without Valk was crash but you say the rework with Valk needs to go....

I honestly can't understand if you are for or against rez with that statement.
Nothing. I'd rather see resurrect tied exclusively into valkyrie. Let Mercy res... it has a place as part of her ult.

I don't think there is any reason that healing an out of combat D.Va should take 10 seconds for Mercy, let alone 20 seconds for Zenyatta.

As a TF2 casual player I like the ubercharge but in a game like Overwatch I can't help but feel like it would be way over the top... And we have to see the bigger picture here too, I would worry that if we make an invicibility period in the game, that would severly restrict future hero releases.

Concerning the healing ramp up, I do see the appealing factor here but if that gets implemented I would rather see it on a new, unique support. The essential part of supporting for some heroes is to juggle between allied targets, I wouldn't want to be penalized for that.

Though I'd like some sort of tanky healer that is really good at staying close to tanks and making them beefier the longer you stay with them, and why not, making their health pool exceed their regular one, just like in TF2.

While I like that idea there's no way this community will accept mercy and a teamatte being invulnerable.
The creator is asking what should replace and everyone is dodging that question.

I'm open to the idea of at least changing Rez or the ability itself.

Pros make a good point already, it is the most unrewarding when playing widow getting that headshot from across the map, but since its that far, theres no way the opposing team can stop that Rez.

So if Rez were to stay in the game, there needs to be a way for there to be a at least a little skill. Maybe a way of earning that Rez, with the addition of time and maybe a resource meter of sone sort.

While I like that idea there's no way this community will accept mercy and a teamatte being invulnerable.

They already hated when she had a 3s invincibility while rezzing.

Also, we kinda have an "invincibility" ult already. Its Zenyatta Transcendence. Pretty much only instakills work on enemies within its area of effect.
01/14/2018 06:51 AMPosted by SonOfShepard
So if Rez were to stay in the game, there needs to be a way for there to be a at least a little skill. Maybe a way of earning that Rez, with the addition of time and maybe a resource meter of sone sort.

You mean, like an ultimate ability?
01/14/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Sidratha
I'd rather see resurrect tied exclusively into valkyrie.
They’re already destroying her w/ the wrecking ball. She doesn’t need to be nerfed any harder than what they’re already doing.
The creator is asking what should replace and everyone is dodging that question.

Pros make a good point already, it is the most unrewarding when playing widow getting that headshot from across the map, but since its that far, theres no way the opposing team can stop that Rez.

Thank you!!! What people aren't getting is replacing these two abilities could help to make Mercy a much more enjoyable and fun hero to play. Even if you want rez to stay, can anybody honestly argue that Mercy is a fun hero to play in the current state?
I would like to see an ability that prevents death so that the phrase "Heroes never die" is still true. I've seen a suggestion of a halo ability/ultimate that prevents all damage for a few seconds. After the halo ends the person receives healing at an equal amount as the damage the halo absorbed. That means the enemy can prevent giving someone heals by not shooting at them for a few seconds, but it also gives Mercy the ability to counter certain enemy ultimates (like Diva's mech explosion etc.). I think it would also increase the skill floor and skill ceiling a little bit since timing the halo would be absolutely crucial or it would be completely wasted.

I like the idea of a resource meter for resurrections (lots of people have said to be in favor of that, but Blizzard doesn't seem to want it..), but to get back to that 'good' point made by the pro's, I feel like it's actually really good for the game that one-shotting / bursting one or two people doesn't instantly end a team fight. So if resurrection would have to go, they should give mercy an ability that allows her to stop insta gibs from happening in the first place. Like, maybe she can place a buff on a friendly target that stops them from falling below 1 health for a short duration. Pre-emptive measures like that take a great deal of insight to use properly and can be played around. The pro's should have nothing to complain about..
01/14/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Mercy
They’re already destroying her w/ the wrecking ball. She doesn’t need to be nerfed any harder than what they’re already doing.

Resurrect on a 30 second cooldown will always be overpowered. The ability to catch and undo mistakes, or prevent the opposing team from capitalizing on a one man advantage twice a minute will always be more powerful than anything any other support can bring.

Mercy wasn't seeing the type of play-time she is now until resurrect was put on a 30 second cooldown. Taking it off that, and tying it back into her ult puts the ability back into a place where it is still powerful, but not overpowered in the sense it is now.

I'm not saying keep the cast time and movement speed decrease (I'd say pick one or the other to make it so Mercy can't blindly fly into enemy lines to resurrect players), but I am saying take it out of her base toolkit and make it part of her ult again.
Perhaps Valkyrie should be changed so it grants teammates around Mercy, lets say within 15m, D.va booster type movement for 3 or 4 seconds. They are immune to or receive significantly reduced CC. Chain healing and free Rez are removed.

I think the best support abilities in the game are the ones that allow your team to play in new ways. Like Speed Boost. And more supports need these types of abilities. Similar to how Genji has better vertical mobility and Tracer has better horizontal mobility, Lucio has a better horizontal mobility buff and Mercy has a better vertical mobility buff. This would also buff deathball whose weakness is mobility and their strength is staying close together.

In addition this would fit the name "Valkyrie" more as Valkyries are known for how they fly in from the sky in an awesome aerial cavalry to bring brave warriors to Valhalla. She could say something like "Heroes Stand United!" or "Fly Together Heroes!" or "We Find Victory Together!" or something along those lines.

Instead of a full Rez on E, Mercy charges a resource meter by healing and damage boosted damage. I would say it should take about 12 seconds of constant healing or ~600 damage boosted damage. When filled she can make a target unkillable for 3 seconds. Not undamageable or immune to CC. Their minimum HP is 1. However when doing this she is prevented from healing. But can use her pistol for defending herself and her buddy. Also casting the ability has the same range and rules as her beam. It doesn't flip fights like Rez. Still has some solid impact, is earned, and requires excellent timing to be effective. It would have a similar use to Zarya bubbles but slightly different application and has higher defensive value. She can even still say "Heroes Never Die".

Edit; I forgot to mention why I think the chain beam needs removed. I think it makes Mercy boring and takes away the important skill of managing health bars and being observant. It also steps on Lucio, Moira, and Orisa's toes by providing excellent team wide heals and a solid team wide damage boost.
Old Mercy was trash with Rez

Yes, because sitting afk, wait for everyone to die, then rez the entire team is definitely the definition of fun and engaging gameplay.