Viewership decrease, community clueless?

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 Next
The real problem with a competitive game like Overwatch is that the general gameplay on repeat is REALLY BORING. As stated before by others on this thread, most of the games look very identical. Similar team comps playing against each other over and over is repetitive and dull, and doesn't lead to any memorable moments outside of the occasional skill play; which amusingly isn't that dramatic, as a skill play from a skilled player should really just be kind of expected.

OWL would be more entertaining if they said screw making it about the competitive mode, and started doing Arcade matches: 6v6 Lockout Elimination, 6v6 Deathmatch (to 50 kills), 6v6 NO LIMIT, 3v3 Lockout Elimination, Capture the Flag, Random Heroes, Mayhem, Low Gravity, 1v1 Mystery Duels!!! It would still be tracked with a viable win/draw/loss and points record just like any other competition as well.

The idea is that this would also help diversity the pool for teams overall and encourage smaller team building on a local scale to continually promote the
game.
01/14/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Chess
The Korean Stats are:

https://sullygnome.com/channel/overwatchleague_kr

64k, 24k, 26k , 15k peak numbers

But I thought esports were super popular in Korea? So much for the "But you need local players to relate to" argument.

Honestly, with these kind of viewer numbers the OWL isn't going to be the cash cow Blizzard want it to be any time soon so how about they pay more attention to their real cash cow, the game itself? And its mostly casual player base.
01/15/2018 01:51 AMPosted by DrZack
The real problem with a competitive game like Overwatch is that the general gameplay on repeat is REALLY BORING. As stated before by others on this thread, most of the games look very identical. Similar team comps playing against each other over and over is repetitive and dull, and doesn't lead to any memorable moments outside of the occasional skill play; which amusingly isn't that dramatic, as a skill play from a skilled player should really just be kind of expected.

OWL would be more entertaining if they said screw making it about the competitive mode, and started doing Arcade matches: 6v6 Lockout Elimination, 6v6 Deathmatch (to 50 kills), 6v6 NO LIMIT, 3v3 Lockout Elimination, Capture the Flag, Random Heroes, Mayhem, Low Gravity, 1v1 Mystery Duels!!! It would still be tracked with a viable win/draw/loss and points record just like any other competition as well.

The idea is that this would also help diversity the pool for teams overall and encourage smaller team building on a local scale to continually promote the
game.

Mystery Heroes, the one mode where Symmetra would be picked. Agree!
01/15/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Matrim
The Korean Stats are:

But I thought esports were super popular in Korea? So much for the "But you need local players to relate to" argument.

Honestly, with these kind of viewer numbers the OWL isn't going to be the cash cow Blizzard want it to be any time soon so how about they pay more attention to their real cash cow, the game itself? And its mostly casual player base.

Twitch is a really good Korean platform. Everybody knows that. Not like Koreans have multiple platforms that re-diffuse the broadcast.
Also overwatch league.com doesn't even count towards twitch viewers. But hey, everybody knew the viewers were gonna go down. Doesn't mean owl and ow a an esport has 0 future.

How about the "forum casuals" stop complaining when the esport community gets 1 thing from overwatch in nearly 2 years ?
We are also a different kind of casual too btw
My problem is that I live in Europe and OWL airs at 2am or so, at least when I'm already asleep :c
01/15/2018 02:19 AMPosted by oversleep

Pine might have one of the best McCree's we've ever seen in game, but how does his Symmetra play out? I mean with arcade variants there are still plenty of modes to see people shine where they shine their best, but being able to force these crazy modes and different rules on teams will also entice the Development team to really look at other characters when the pros are forced to randomly have Mei or Doomfist and Doomfist fails to work properly on a national stage.
01/15/2018 02:27 AMPosted by DrZack
01/15/2018 02:19 AMPosted by oversleep

Pine might have one of the best McCree's we've ever seen in game, but how does his Symmetra play out? I mean with arcade variants there are still plenty of modes to see people shine where they shine their best, but being able to force these crazy modes and different rules on teams will also entice the Development team to really look at other characters when the pros are forced to randomly have Mei or Doomfist and Doomfist fails to work properly on a national stage.

And also the comedy value when those DPS that hate Mercy have to play her in mystery heroes lol
01/15/2018 02:22 AMPosted by Phell

Twitch is a really good Korean platform. Everybody knows that. Not like Koreans have multiple platforms that re-diffuse the broadcast.
Also overwatch league.com doesn't even count towards twitch viewers. But hey, everybody knew the viewers were gonna go down. Doesn't mean owl and ow a an esport has 0 future.

How about the "forum casuals" stop complaining when the esport community gets 1 thing from overwatch in nearly 2 years ?
We are also a different kind of casual too btw

I'm not with the whole OWL has no future and this game isn't an esports crowd. I share some sentiments, but personally I want this game to be a huge esports game.

But I want it to be a complete and balanced game first. And I know that's a major component that will heavily stunt growth.
01/15/2018 01:51 AMPosted by DrZack

game.

I watched the other tournament that tried this, and it felt so bad. I mean... so boring and just bad.

There's no denying people will feel 6v6 in normal competitive will always be the biggest and best mode. You need search and destroy style for seriousness. I'd love to see other competitive modes added, but it's important for the standard 6v6 to work right. That means good to decent balance among all 26 heroes (limited bugs, consistency, value to team on attack and defense, proper nerfing or balancing)

It needs to feel like a sport and not a side show. That's the problem with the arcade modes. Look at Dota, csgo, LOL, even pubg tournaments... It's about the main mode with the least variables that feels like an actual structure. The arcade modes rarely work even for the arcade in terms of seriousness (though 1v1 could be a nice side event)

The game is boring (and will be soon to newcomers or die hards) to spectator because the meta is repeated and it's basically a shooter. It's missing the magic of assassin/disruptor plays that Sombra provides, or the quirkiness and dive meta stopping power Torb SHOULD provide, the giant fisted man that comes in sith interesting brute force that Doomfist provides, the allure and mobility stopping that Symettra should provide... I could go on and on.

We're losing counters to high mobility, we live in the state of mercy being necessary, far too many of the hero pool is underpowered or broke, many of the most played heroes have mechanics that need to be checked out (genji deflect)

It's just... I hope the developers come to their senses. I want this to work. And set the standard
Moaning about the same maps is abit of an odd one, theres 4 selected maps, 1 of each type per round of battles, it has to be the same 4 maps for all teams for consistency. Some teams are better on certain maps compared to others and if it were random selection one team could get incredibly fortunate with maps whilst another gets all their "worst". The maps varied the next round of battles when the teams face different opponents so im not sure I see the problem with that?

Hero selection, sure, it got abit more varied in the 2nd/3rd day and I was highly amused by a stat "20 out of 26 heroes" have been used for at least 30 seconds by all teams on Junkertown". 30 seconds LOL. Anyway, that isnt going to change until theres some real balance changes and when theres a video of pros moaning about Mercy still because they cant handle a rez, nowt is going to change soon as its now the elite of the elite thatll get listened to.
01/15/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Mango

Hero selection, sure, it got abit more varied in the 2nd/3rd day and I was highly amused by a stat "20 out of 26 heroes" have been used for at least 30 seconds by all teams on Junkertown". 30 seconds LOL. Anyway, that isnt going to change until theres some real balance changes and when theres a video of pros moaning about Mercy still because they cant handle a rez, nowt is going to change soon as its now the elite of the elite thatll get listened to.

Yea, that information was a joke. Best one all year so far
I do not watch Overwatch streams at all.
If I want to progress I'm using instinct instead of theory, whereas in fighting games I use a lot of documentation and research to train and play well.
I don't know, I feel like playing instead of watching from my playing device what I could be playing, yeah there'll be good/great/sick/funny/*any word* moments, they'll be highlighted.
i stopped watching the OWL because every match is dive x dive, and i sick of dive meta.

AAAANNNDDD, every match is the same maps, it's boring watching owl, well, for me at last
I write briefly my two sentences on this topic.

What does the OWL want to be? Will Blizzard play on the same level as Valve with his DotA and CS Major?

If it is true and the OWL has already lost 3/4 of its viewers on the first weekend, it is meaningless. Of course, it must also be mentioned that currently the preliminary round for the CS Major in Boston is played out.

But I agree with the main post, it's boring to always see the same heroes. And then always in the same constellation. If only 6 heroes are played 80% of the time, it clearly shows that the balance is bad. And that Mercy/Junkrat are already broken, is known by everyone. Even Mr. Goodmann and Mr. Kaplan should know that because they always read the forum. ;^)

The commentators are another problem. Overwtach is a fast paced game, that is clear. Nevertheless, I would wish that one takes commentators who play the game itself and therefore also know what just happens. There are so many commentators from other OW tournaments that were so much better.

And what a pity that the OWL is used so outrageously to access money. Not only did the organizations have to shop to take part in the OWL, but they also ripped off the fans, as they charge $ 5 for a skin. And of those $ 5, Blizzard also takes a big chunk before distributing the rest to the organizations. And the organizations can not even use their own name or logo.

Now comes one more thing that concerns me personally, before I come to my end. The unprofessional behavior of the player. Players should be able to acknowledge that someone else was better. And not write the next day on the public media, exposing the opponent. This is not fair play and clearly shows that you have not recognized the core idea of ​​OW. In other e-sports so players would never make it into a professional team.

I looked at the OWL and it has entertained me the first time. But I do not think that I will pursue it in the future.
01/15/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Monza
I write briefly my two sentences on this topic.

What does the OWL want to be? Will Blizzard play on the same level as Valve with his DotA and CS Major?

If it is true and the OWL has already lost 3/4 of its viewers on the first weekend, it is meaningless. Of course, it must also be mentioned that currently the preliminary round for the CS Major in Boston is played out.

But I agree with the main post, it's boring to always see the same heroes. And then always in the same constellation. If only 6 heroes are played 80% of the time, it clearly shows that the balance is bad. And that Mercy/Junkrat are already broken, is known by everyone. Even Mr. Goodmann and Mr. Kaplan should know that because they always read the forum. ;^)

The commentators are another problem. Overwtach is a fast paced game, that is clear. Nevertheless, I would wish that one takes commentators who play the game itself and therefore also know what just happens. There are so many commentators from other OW tournaments that were so much better.

And what a pity that the OWL is used so outrageously to access money. Not only did the organizations have to shop to take part in the OWL, but they also ripped off the fans, as they charge $ 5 for a skin. And of those $ 5, Blizzard also takes a big chunk before distributing the rest to the organizations. And the organizations can not even use their own name or logo.

Now comes one more thing that concerns me personally, before I come to my end. The unprofessional behavior of the player. Players should be able to acknowledge that someone else was better. And not write the next day on the public media, exposing the opponent. This is not fair play and clearly shows that you have not recognized the core idea of ​​OW. In other e-sports so players would never make it into a professional team.

I looked at the OWL and it has entertained me the first time. But I do not think that I will pursue it in the future.

Well said !!
The Korean Stats are:

The season 1 games are literally played between like 5 AM and 11AM in Korea, depending on starting times of games (since everything happens in LA). Do you really think it's fair to gauge potential popularity when the games are at an awful time for the Koreans? A lot of them will watch vods instead.

Those numbers are not terrible for games that happen at the worst possible viewing times for people with work/school, or just those who are sleeping during the games. Also, the main english stream viewership has been good throughout for regular season. (The real test is this week though, and how stable the viewership is).
I think content is just way to show and a couple heroes needs buffs, sombra, torb, mei, symettra, and doomfist. That’s it. I think people are making to big of a deal out of mercy and junkrat. Reinhardt doesn’t need a buff. Orisa doesn’t need a nerf. People are twisting Jeff’s words. He never called the community stupid. In fact he said they made changes be because they believed mercy need changes and the overwhelming alignment of the community agreed 5man res was too powerful. I’ve disaggreed with the devs on things but nowhere did I feel like I ever was ever being talked down to. Even in the latest interview. Everything is ok guys. Faster content would fix a lot of the issues you guys talk about
120 k what a failure...
We all knew it would start out sprinting and end up running out of breath pretty fast honestly.

Yes, there are people who enjoy it still and props to them!

But the heavy lack of balance and the constant mirror teams and maps are the reason the viewer amount is already dropping by literal thousands, and will probably continue to drop until it balances out at a much lower amount then they had hoped. (That and a lot wanted free stuff like mentioned before and left once they found out they got nothing).

If they had waited and focused on making the hero pool actually functional it would probably be a lot different.

It also doesn't help their announcers are talking potatoes that don't understand what's happening half the time.

But instead they rushed it, and it'll start strong but fall hard like any rushed ideas.