Headaches after gaming

General Discussion
This is not OW specific i guess but particularly applicable as the game requires more focus than other games esp with players like soldier widow and tracer. Not saying soldier is hard oer say but you have to be aiming almost the entire game

So anyway has anyone found a long gaming session might cause a headache the next day ? Long as in maybe 5-6 hours.

Now i know many will say if you get headaches dont play dude...and i realise that

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar thing?
Take a short break (5 min) every 3 games.
01/17/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Mi33ed
This is not OW specific i guess but particularly applicable as the game requires more focus than other games esp with players like soldier widow and tracer. Not saying soldier is hard oer say but you have to be aiming almost the entire game

So anyway has anyone found a long gaming session might cause a headache the next day ? Long as in maybe 5-6 hours.

Now i know many will say if you get headaches dont play dude...and i realise that

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar thing?

I get them occasionally, just take some pain relievers if it’s bad and a 15 min break for the pain relievers to kick in. After that, just resume gaming.
It's probably a Medical issue you should have checked out by an actual Doctor and not web M.D.

if you're too cheapskate to go see a real doctor I'll save you the trouble of going web M.D. and just tell you straight up you have brain cancer and it's pressing on a few nerves.

(I'm legally obligated to tell you that I am not a real Doctor, at least not yet.)
Also stay hydrated :)
Thanks yes doc i mean what is my doc gonna say when i tell him i play a game for 6 hours straight he will say dont do that and see if the headaches stop.

I dont think she will say hmm lets send you for an mri

Also im in the UK its free to see a doc here i am bot being cheapskate was seaking experiences from the community as i know what the doc will say though ill prob do that just to be safe
I used to, but they would probably be considered migraines. However my migraines "evolved" from getting a bad headache twice a month to have one really bad day once every 6 months. Usually when I did get migraines it mainly seemed to be because I stared at a screen constantly, since most of the pain came from my eyes. Just take like a 15 minute break every now and then.

Edit: realized that I'd get migraines a lot more frequently playing Overwatch, due to they're being so many bright colors across the screen.
Do you wear glasses? and maybe try a blue light filter.
01/17/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Strife

Yes sometimes glasses sometimes contacts im quite short sighted like -5

When i get headaches does feel better with glasses than contacts

I originally thought the headaches were to when i didnt drink caffine as i drink a lot of coffee often but noticed a correlation to gaming sessions also
When you’re looking at a screen, you blink 40% less (sorry can’t remember the exact percentage) - this is from a optometry research article they published a few years back. So wearing contact lenses and playing games is not the best of ideas.

As another poster suggested, wear specs with a blue light filter when gaming. If your headaches aren’t localised to the back of your head, then it’s not vision related. Then I’d look at your posture - for cervicogenic headaches.
I read that you should look at something 20 feet away every so often to let your eyes rest. You can make sure you're doing that in between matches. No idea if that would help but eye strain causing headaches is definitely a thing though (I think) :)

And get good sleep. That fixes lots of problems.
If you are using the scope for too long or just playing with reduced FOV you can get motion sikness. However, it usually has an effect during gameplay not hours after that.

Staying at distance away from the monitor can prevent it from happeneing. Once when it happens it is best to take a break from games that involves camera movement until it goes away.
01/17/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Strife

Try using a programme called f.lux - it changes the color temp of your screen to reduce blue light output, worked wonders for me. Alternatively you can get cheap gaming glasses of ebay for a few quid that have yellow polarized lenses that do much the same thing