Genji's deflect hitbox and the lack of an official response

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Are Blizzard ever going to address or even acknowledge this is an issue? Hit hitbox is absurdly oversized and I know im not the only one who feels this way.

And before anyone jumps in and accuses me of being purely salty about getting killed all the time by it, I worked out about 10 mins after buying overwatch that you just stop shooting him to avoid this. This doesn't excuse the fact that his deflect hitbox is the size of a barn door and that you can shoot several feet to the side of it and still get wiped
Jeff already acknowledged it isn't an issue. I don't know why you guys act like anything you didn't want to hear never happened. It's not getting changed; get over it.
Given the state the game is in I don't think Jeff is qualified to say what is and isn't an issue. Just look at Mercy for example
There's no good reason AT ALL why it should be so much bigger than the animation. There are Masters genji mains in the same clan as me and even they agree it needs resizing
Blizzard already addressed it, they said Genji is not a balance problem and deflect is as big as it is because it was useless if it matches animation....

03/03/2017 11:49 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman
but unfortunately it just isn't what people want to hear.
01/17/2018 03:38 PMPosted by ŜOMBRA
Jeff already acknowledged it isn't an issue. I don't know why you guys act like anything you didn't want to hear never happened. It's not getting changed; get over it.

Downvoted for stating the truth? Jeez you guys really hate genji.
01/17/2018 04:40 PMPosted by pooch
Blizzard already addressed it, they said Genji is not a balance problem and deflect is as big as it is because it was useless if it matches animation....

But geoff must have gotten this from people who designed the game. Obviously random plats on the forums know better than them!
01/17/2018 03:58 PMPosted by lizardking
Given the state the game is in I don't think Jeff is qualified to say what is and isn't an issue. Just look at Mercy for example

Then neither are gold players on the forums... lmao.
01/17/2018 04:46 PMPosted by MaskedCube

Downvoted for stating the truth? Jeez you guys really hate genji.
I think at this point it's more of a question of whether or not Jeff is even competent enough to make that decision, given the current state of the game.
They want Genji in OWL as much as possible
to correct previous post, because the community would much rather forget good news and focus more on bad news just to argue and complain, they said that genji in general is balanced. however, they said that they are currently looking into fixing his deflect hitbox. moreover, they stated that the deflect hitbox WAS perfectly sized with the animation once, but it made deflect inconsistent and useless during play-testing. this was way before genji was even announced, so they are curious to try this again to see what happens when an entire community playtests the changes.

good news: genji's deflect hitbox is being looked at. no need for the devs to create a "hey, we are still doing this" response. especially if it would be forgotten yet again under so much hate. if haters have a problem with this, they either have trust issues or they just want to brag about their thread receiving a blue post that literally says the same thing.

bad news (for genji haters at least): genji is balanced in general and is currently not a balancing concern.

That post you quoted was about D.va, not Genji. Genji may not be a balance problem to Blizzard, but he certainly is a problem to many of the playerbase, especially his deflect, and the fact that Blizzard haven't officially acknowledged our issues with Genji is a huge disappointment. We want answers but Blizzard don't seem to be picking up the phone.

If they want Genji to stay as he is, then they should just come out and say it instead of ignoring us. But if that were the case, I think a large amount of players would drop the game almost instantly if they were to say that they won't be touching Genji.

Something needs to be done about Genji, You can't leave a pot to boil and expect it not to boil over...

01/17/2018 04:51 PMPosted by mysticdragon
they said that they are currently looking into fixing his deflect hitbox.

Where and when was this said? I haven't seen any official "announcement" about it.
01/17/2018 04:27 PMPosted by lizardking
There's no good reason AT ALL why it should be so much bigger than the animation. There are Masters genji mains in the same clan as me and even they agree it needs resizing

Have these masters genji mains ever used deflect without the current hitbox? No? Then their opinion means nothing. Geoff Goodman said that they originally had the hitbox the size of genji, and it was extremely buggy and inconsistent. They are not going to change their stance on the hitbox size because a few people on the forums disagree.

That post you quoted was about D.va, not Genji. Genji may not be a balance problem to Blizzard, but he certainly is a problem to many of the playerbase, especially his deflect, and the fact that Blizzard haven't officially acknowledged our issues with Genji is a huge disappointment. We want answers but Blizzard don't seem to be picking up the phone.

If they want Genji to stay as he is, then they should just come out and say it instead of ignoring us. But if that were the case, I think a large amount of players would drop the game almost instantly if they were to say that they won't be touching Genji.

Something needs to be done about Genji, You can't leave a pot to boil and expect it not to boil over...

The thing is though, these forums are the only community that think genji is even somewhat of an issue, and even then many people on this forum do not.
Genji is only an issue due to an inconsistent animation and some pretty bad bugs.

His actual design is quite well balanced. It's just he breaks in some powerful but inconsistent ways.
to correct previous post, because the community would much rather forget good news and focus more on bad news just to argue and complain, they said that genji in general is balanced. however, they said that they are currently looking into fixing his deflect hitbox. moreover, they stated that the deflect hitbox WAS perfectly sized with the animation once, but it made deflect inconsistent and useless during play-testing. this was way before genji was even announced, so they are curious to try this again to see what happens when an entire community playtests the changes.

good news: genji's deflect hitbox is being looked at. no need for the devs to create a "hey, we are still doing this" response. if haters have a problem, they have trust issues or they just want to brag their thread receiving a blue post that literally says the same thing.

bad news (for genji haters at least): genji is balanced in general and is currently not a balancing concern.

I really want them to do this, just so when it's a buggy inconsistent mess many will stop complaining about it.

Hog had his hook changed, cos it pulled people around corners. Deflect doesn't need line of sight, yet is working as intended. That, my friend, is double standards.

All I ask is equal treatment, and that deflect is based on lib of sight. Don't see him? Doesn't affect you. Is it that hard blizzard to be consistent? Really?
i suppose blizz will somehow fix his deflect hitbox but also make sure that genji wont get any disadvantage because of that.

same happened with the ultimate refund change.. when everyone was complaining about genji but blizz made sure genji wont be affected by that change.
01/17/2018 04:51 PMPosted by DigitalNinja

they said that they are currently looking into fixing his deflect hitbox.

Where and when was this said? I haven't seen any official "announcement" about it.

what should be immediately done about a hero that is not over performing? They should nerf him to appease the forums? Look they have said they are aware of deflect and are looking at it. But the reality is that it is not priority one nor should it be. There are way more important issues that needs to be addressed. Hanzo needs a rework, Mei, symmetra, mercy is still being worked on etc. etc. Deflect is grossly overstated on the forums. The strength of Genji is grossly overstated on the forums. Blizzard knows this. They know the numbers. They know the win rates. They know what is actually happening in game. If Genji was skewing the game in one way or the other (i.e. Mercy) he would be moved to the top of the list. But he isn't. The problem is you guys don't want to hear this. You want your way or the highway. I suggest the highway.

Sure, Genji is a balance problem to many people. He's also not a balance problem to many more casuals, and pros, and Blizzard themselves.

Like, what do you want Blizzard to do?

"Hey Blizzard, Grangi is op af!!"

"We don't find him to be a balance problem."

"Hey Blizzard, he's rly rly rly op....af af!!"

"..........."

"Hey Blizzard, WHY YOU IGNORE US!!???"
"HEY BLIZZARD, WHY FAVOR GRANGI SO MUCH?
"HEY BLIZZARD, WHERES THE NERF?!"
"HEY BLIZZARD, YOUR BALANCE IS SHIET AND OWL CAN GO TO HELL!!!"