No excuse to not have voice chat in comp

General Discussion
If you only want teammates with microphones, play comp and add everybody who uses them, and form a 6-man. No more throwers, bad teammates, or non-mic users. Problem solved.
75% of the coms are either completely useless or completely detrimental to the performance of the team.

Some play way better with out it. That's how worthless and abusive a majority of all coms in this game is.
01/23/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Sengell
Of course there are excuses, hearing useless blabla distracts the brain and leads to a worse gaming performance.

especially if you main any supports and have to stop healing your team due to your team not watching for backline flankers.
My best friend physically cannot speak. So there's a reason mate.
01/23/2018 09:45 AMPosted by WashableBomb
75% of the coms are either completely useless or completely detrimental to the performance of the team.

Some play way better with out it. That's how worthless and abusive a majority of all coms in this game is.

Exactly. It's also better to hear your environment.

I used to be all about Voice comms! Until I got sick of being a support main...Every game I'd get abuse thrown at me because I wasn't playing Ana. "Why's an Ana main playing McCree!"

It only got worse as I decided to main Doomfist...Not a lot of people take too kindly to it. I remember a match on Dorado where I picked up Doomfist first but forgot to switch on my VC.

Switched it on: "Switch off Doomfist." >.> That match got real toxic... And toxicity makes me play worse. Sadly it creates a loop where that person believes all Doomfists stink.
I can't control the background noise in my house and wouldn't want to distract/anger my teammates due to all the annoying background noise. Bad enough I deal with, shouldn't ruin my entire team's performance with it.
There isn't. Yeah you might have that one bad apple that you can mute, but at least have it on so you can hear call-outs and work as a team.
01/23/2018 09:54 AMPosted by RatPackKing
I can't control the background noise in my house and wouldn't want to distract/anger my teammates due to all the annoying background noise. Bad enough I deal with, shouldn't ruin my entire team's performance with it.

I know what you mean, last season I had someone vacuum cleaning just outside my room and tried to keep that to a minimum by only unmuting for call outs. But i still got death threats from a team mate because of it. havent bothered with comp ever since.
Sorry that sometimes I don’t feel like being verbally abused for 15+ minutes at a time. Sorry I don’t like being called derogatory terms for no reason, or being told I’m garbage and should quit Overwatch.
I don't want to. I'm on PS4 in Europe which means there's a lot of languages and accents. Most of the players I met in voice chat seemed to speak Arabian or French and I don't speak those languages. Most of the time there's not even anyone there in voice chat. I also had to block all communication with strangers due to all the hatemails, death threats and other trash that was flung at me for playing Sombra. So yeah, not really interested in talking to (or listening to) those morons. If losing is the price I have to pay for it, so be it.
What if you bought a $70 headset that broke because it was really cheap crap, and you can't afford a decent $200-300 replacement?
Having a bad game from time to time and being told I sound fat and being made insecure makes me not want to use my mic. So therefore I only use it if I feel comfortable enough with the tones of some people's voices.

But I do listen to my team when they communicate and act accordingly.
I've got excuses and reasons.

1. The way I speak during heightened situations might tilt people even if I'm not tilted myself. My excited or passionate tone might be interpreted as raging.

2. Vulgar language is part of my vocab, I have a job that hinges on me using professional language so when I clock out of work I want to be able to swear and turn the air blue without getting reported. I will only voice chat in private with friends I queue with. Because while I can be completely respectable of other players I just cant help swearing.

3. I'm not usually in the room alone, I have a dog and a partner who I won't silence for the sake of me playing a game.
01/23/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Baelish
Is there?

Yea, the rules. You don't need to have a reason to or not to be in chat. You aren't required to be in chat and cannot be punished for NOT being in chat. And if someone false reports you for this they can be punished.

What you can do is ask nicely and if they say no, oh well.
I mean, to be fair, there are people who are honestly too toxic. It's annoying as hell hearing someone complain when they keep getting picked off or doing their own thing and dying. Toxic teammates should be one of the biggest reasons to not have a mic.

Personally, I just tell them that it is just a game. Don't tell others not to play comp if they "don't want their feelings hurt", or "don't play 'well' enough." It just makes the community look absolutely awful.
I quite like muttering to myself about the ongoing game...

Typically my dialogue would just be:
"REALLY?! Oookay then"
"Goddammit!"
"Please stop spamming the Dam healing button..."
"Some healing would be nice if you could- No? Okay..."

I left my mic on by accident one match, didn't say a word actually, and only realised at the end where I messed up something and just went:

"*sigh* Well...Crap..."

Someone immediately chimed up with "I hear you Jedders...."
I've never muted so fast in my life!

Anxiety through the roof.
Although looking back it's quite funny....he also probably heard the occasional growl of frustration at myself.... :/
01/23/2018 09:19 AMPosted by UNBREAKABLE
Having anxiety, depression, being made fun of for voice, being harassed because of gender, speech impediment, hearing issues, not wanting to deal with toxic teammates, and other things including just not wanting to all fall as valid reasons not to use voice chat.

Dear lord how do you function in life?
The responses here show me why comp is such a cesspool.
01/23/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Fulmen
What if you bought a $70 headset that broke because it was really cheap crap, and you can't afford a decent $200-300 replacement?

01/23/2018 09:58 AMPosted by deadbunnyx
Sorry that sometimes I don’t feel like being verbally abused for 15+ minutes at a time. Sorry I don’t like being called derogatory terms for no reason, or being told I’m garbage and should quit Overwatch.

I’m on voice all the time and I rarely encounter harassment. Are you sure you aren’t the one inviting it?
01/23/2018 09:19 AMPosted by UNBREAKABLE
Having anxiety, depression, being made fun of for voice, being harassed because of gender, speech impediment, hearing issues, not wanting to deal with toxic teammates, and other things including just not wanting to all fall as valid reasons not to use voice chat.

Yeah legit. Also some people when join chat are an active hinderance eg toxicity.