Mercy's popularity and viability before her rework.

PTR Feedback
01/27/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Dexrazor
01/24/2018 09:23 AMPosted by inplane
So I've figured people always consult Mercy's statistics before her rework, so I'm going to make a topic on it so people can't try to fake a narrative anymore.

Where's season 4 on that list? Ever since her season 4 buff, she was the most played hero in competitive, on all platforms. It was the same major issue back then as it is now, culminated by minor issues.

The major issue is that she was a must pick and you were most often going to lose if you didn't have her on your team. The minor issues back then were that she always hid and then ressed (no its not hypocritical for other heroes to hide and ult because THEY AREN'T MAIN HEALERS), which led to a win for the team with the mercy. People were sick of it and asking for nerfs/changes, which they did. It was a disaster, sure, but reverting it would be a slap in the face from blizzard to practically the entire community but the vocal minority who wants mercy to be reverted.

The major issue now is that she's plain overpowered.

Reverting mercy wouldn't change anything for the best, in fact it would just cause an uproar among the majority of the community, Mercy's pickrate wouldn't change much, the meta wouldn't change much, and we'd go all the way back to the start of the issue, causing her to get nerfed harder in 1.0 than what you all are crying about right now.

Legit, have you really forgotten how many people called for her to be nerfed, the dev team noticed and decided they couldn't fix her hiding with just a LoS check, as most of the time the people died together all in sight of each other. They internally playtest a lot of changes, but you guys wouldn't know that, you don't pay attention to much news outside of mercy stats/changes.

Look here at this permalinked post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6vc06i/mercy_changes_confirmed/dlz7jwh/

Look at the clip AFTER you look at the link posted by that person. The person was providing proof that Mercy was the most picked hero in competitive mode on PC, and this was just before the mercy rework.

Now look at the clip. In the clip is Seagull asking a dev (can't remember his name atm, might be Geoff Goodman, can't remember what he looks like)at the junkertown reveal if there would be any changes made to mercy. The reason the dev says "chat" is because he could see the chat, roughly 17,000 people, spamming "MERCY NERF?" It was literally like that for about half a minute, which is why Seagull noticed it and asked, and I'm sure the dev noticed it too, as he's sitting right next to Seagull. Following his response, chat was filled with "thank god" and "finally". You really seem to have forgotten how oppressive and hated she used to be back then too. It's fine I guess, as its been 4-5 months since then, but now you've been reminded. Try not to forget again.
Except guess what caused Mercy to become meta. Not her being "OP" as everyone thought but because of dive and how Ana gets screwed over by it. And everytime a healer gets nerfed people go "Thank god" and "Finally" it's literally because people hate having their kills denied and then getting punished for being in a bad position.
01/25/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Succubus
01/24/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Alanar
first off, Mercy mains need to stop saying she was a troll pick prior to rework if they want to be taken seriously because the numbers show this is false.

lol what numbers? Sub-Diamond pickrate?

Mercy was simply popular before mid-Season 4 (which buffed her and nerfed Ana/Lucio). Mercy has always been popular, regardless of how good she was in the meta. In terms of viability, she was flat out considered unplayable between Seasons 2-4. People may have short memories now, but I remember a time when people would flat out ask for a Mercy to switch to Zen or Lucio because Mercy's Rez was too inconsistent to be valuable.

I'm sure if we looked for it, we could find tons of Mercy "toxicity" videos on youtube where DPS mains yell at Mercy's to switch.
01/27/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Dexrazor
01/24/2018 09:23 AMPosted by inplane
So I've figured people always consult Mercy's statistics before her rework, so I'm going to make a topic on it so people can't try to fake a narrative anymore.

Where's season 4 on that list? Ever since her season 4 buff, she was the most played hero in competitive, on all platforms. It was the same major issue back then as it is now, culminated by minor issues.

The major issue is that she was a must pick and you were most often going to lose if you didn't have her on your team. The minor issues back then were that she always hid and then ressed (no its not hypocritical for other heroes to hide and ult because THEY AREN'T MAIN HEALERS), which led to a win for the team with the mercy. People were sick of it and asking for nerfs/changes, which they did. It was a disaster, sure, but reverting it would be a slap in the face from blizzard to practically the entire community but the vocal minority who wants mercy to be reverted.

The major issue now is that she's plain overpowered.

Reverting mercy wouldn't change anything for the best, in fact it would just cause an uproar among the majority of the community, Mercy's pickrate wouldn't change much, the meta wouldn't change much, and we'd go all the way back to the start of the issue, causing her to get nerfed harder in 1.0 than what you all are crying about right now.

Legit, have you really forgotten how many people called for her to be nerfed, the dev team noticed and decided they couldn't fix her hiding with just a LoS check, as most of the time the people died together all in sight of each other. They internally playtest a lot of changes, but you guys wouldn't know that, you don't pay attention to much news outside of mercy stats/changes.

Look here at this permalinked post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6vc06i/mercy_changes_confirmed/dlz7jwh/

Look at the clip AFTER you look at the link posted by that person. The person was providing proof that Mercy was the most picked hero in competitive mode on PC, and this was just before the mercy rework.

Now look at the clip. In the clip is Seagull asking a dev (can't remember his name atm, might be Geoff Goodman, can't remember what he looks like)at the junkertown reveal if there would be any changes made to mercy. The reason the dev says "chat" is because he could see the chat, roughly 17,000 people, spamming "MERCY NERF?" It was literally like that for about half a minute, which is why Seagull noticed it and asked, and I'm sure the dev noticed it too, as he's sitting right next to Seagull. Following his response, chat was filled with "thank god" and "finally". You really seem to have forgotten how oppressive and hated she used to be back then too. It's fine I guess, as its been 4-5 months since then, but now you've been reminded. Try not to forget again.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/384813668233379841/407304895297748992/image.png
That is Pre Valkyrie for GM players

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/384813668233379841/407305820083191808/image.png
That is the Live version of Valkyrie for GM players

Feel free to look at Overbuff for all of the heroes before Mercy's rework and you can clearly see that they were all played more than she was.
01/28/2018 02:35 PMPosted by Frosting
01/25/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Succubus

lol what numbers? Sub-Diamond pickrate?

Mercy was simply popular before mid-Season 4 (which buffed her and nerfed Ana/Lucio). Mercy has always been popular, regardless of how good she was in the meta. In terms of viability, she was flat out considered unplayable between Seasons 2-4. People may have short memories now, but I remember a time when people would flat out ask for a Mercy to switch to Zen or Lucio because Mercy's Rez was too inconsistent to be valuable.

I'm sure if we looked for it, we could find tons of Mercy "toxicity" videos on youtube where DPS mains yell at Mercy's to switch.

Why would we need videos? Most of us are living proof, myself included. Though, nobody is going to attest to that now. It's like most people suddenly forgot what happened before Season 5.