Came back after a year. ALL THREADS are negative.

General Discussion
They're mostly negative because Blizzard put the cart before the horse. They got so invested in the e-sports crap that they forgot they are an infant game in a very competitive market and showed up without a full deck. They thought that they could make it like WoW and become 'King' but completely ignored what made them unique in the first place, letting greed overshadow their game.
01/24/2018 06:33 AMPosted by Sanctuary
Why is this? This game had a fun and excellent community when I left, now literally every thread on every forum is people blaming blizzard for their SR losses, blaming blizzard that they can't control junkrat, blaming blizzard for overtuning Mercy.

What happened to just having fun in the game? I haven't noticed any problems playing again, I was plat when I left and got placed in Bronze. That's fine because I took it as an opportunity to get better again and get back to my old rank, and I'm climbing loads after 4 days.

Reading all these childish threads makes me really want to not stick around again :(

Its because the game isn't fun.

Its mostly frustrating to play with small moments of fun that everyone is chasing to recapture.

- Walking around a corner and dying instantly to a Widow or Honzo Scatter or McCree Stun isn't fun.
- Dying to an ultimate released just above your head, isn't fun.
- Having the first 4 of your teammates lock in bad nearly useless heroes against the enemies nearly perfect team comp and proceeding to move the payload exactly 1 inch, isn't fun.
- Having to play against Genji in EVERY, SINGLE, GAME since launch, isn't fun.
- Being spawn camped because Matchmaking thinks a 6-stack of GM's against a 4-stack and 2 solo's from gold/plat is a fair game....isn't fun.

Overwatch, isn't fun.
01/24/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Miraude
They're mostly negative because Blizzard put the cart before the horse. They got so invested in the e-sports crap that they forgot they are an infant game in a very competitive market and showed up without a full deck. They thought that they could make it like WoW and become 'King' but completely ignored what made them unique in the first place, letting greed overshadow their game.

People like Robert Kraft don't just give you $20 million because you asked nicely.

The market research suggests OWL will be a hit and thus far there's no evidence to suggest that not to be the case, but plenty of evidence to support it.
Why is this?

The forums are where angry people go to complain.

The happy people are out playing the game.

Since 98% of the people here are angry posters, it will seem like the majority of the game is upset when in actuality most people are content. It's just the small, VERY loud minority complaining here.
Complaining about complaining- classic forum tropes.
Simple: "Competitive" ruined the game.
this is the community Blizzard created.

they kept making things worse and worse since you left and people finally just got sick of it and started acting the same way
01/24/2018 08:40 AMPosted by Meowcenary
Why is this?

The forums are where angry people go to complain.

The happy people are out playing the game.

Since 98% of the people here are angry posters, it will seem like the majority of the game is upset when in actuality most people are content. It's just the small, VERY loud minority complaining here.

Of SR < 500 people, just like me.
While I agree with the intentions of your message, this game is in a pretty horrible state in regards to balance.
Probably because they destroyed Mercy and so a lot of us are quite bitter.

Oh and that's before the new batch of PTR guttings hit Mercy too.
I'm with the OP.

I think a lot of people need to take a step back and really examine what's most important in life. Your perceived disappointment with a new map after a handful of hours or basically anything else.

I still think the game is a lot of fun and have been playing since beta. I have a lot of criticisms about the game but I don't let that get in the way of my enjoyment of playing it.

Saying things like "The game is ruined" or "I'm epically disappointed" is a type of emotional terror tactic designed to foment doom and gloom on everyone reading it. We're not praying to the high heavens or making some appeal for justice to a tyrannical monarchy . In my view the forums should be used to discuss ideas, have fun, socialize with each other and generally just talk about the game. It's not a pity party so I can hear you gripe or you can convince me to gripe too.
Why is this?

Human nature. People would rather complain about crap. You don't see the tens of millions of people who love this game flooding the forums with praise...but you'll sure as crap see people flood the forums with threads like "Esports ruining Overwatch cuz Blizzard only listen to esports players!" and "Hey devs, esports players said this hero needs nerf! Why don't you listen to them?" and "Blizzard only cares about lootboxes!" and "Blizzard, when do the new skins come out?" and so on...

(all actual threads on these forums btw)
01/24/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Ultaholic
Why is this?

Human nature. People would rather complain about crap. You don't see the tens of millions of people who love this game flooding the forums with praise...but you'll sure as crap see people flood the forums with threads like "Esports ruining Overwatch cuz Blizzard only listen to esports players!" and "Hey devs, esports players said this hero needs nerf! Why don't you listen to them?" and "Blizzard only cares about lootboxes!" and "Blizzard, when do the new skins come out?" and so on...

(all actual threads on these forums btw)

If people don't raise concerns then no one realizes an issue is there. So it is unfair to say "but you should have fixed this!" if someone never brings up an issue they are having. Resulting in an unfair situation of simply not knowing anything was wrong.

But if people raise an issue and it is ignored then the fault completely lies on those who should read the feedback.
Unfortunately there’s only a small handful of positive people on the forums anymore :( Any positive post always makes me feel good; different from the constant balance change posts etc.
Dismiss arguments as wrong because they're negative? Ok.
A year ago, huh.

A year ago people were complaining about D.Va being too strong, Ana being too strong, Sombra being too weak, Doomfist not being in the game, Triple Tank being meta for far too long, Mei's Winter Legendary skin not being Legendary enough.

Yeah, nothing has changed really.
Getting practically ignored for a year straight will do that to a community.

What's the point of making well thought out, constructive posts when the Devs probably won't see them, and definitely won't respond or consider implementing them? I think the only forum suggestion I saw that actually got into the game was the QoL buff for Sombra so her team could see the hacked health packs.
Overwhelming amounts of vitriol on the other hand... yeah that at least sometimes gets results.

So... yeah. That's what the community does now because that at least sometimes works.
Negativity doesnt stem from nowhere. If majority of the posts are negative, that should tell that something is fundamentally wrong with the game. And in OWs case, its the balance that is made of "feels" rather than statistics.

And if no one talks about the negatives or issues, how is the game supposed to improve? Not all feedback is purely negative for the sake of negativity, as many posts are well constructed and give legitimate feedback. It would be stupid of Blizzard to dismiss all feedback as raging, when its just not. And sadly, thats what they seem to be doing.
What happened to just having fun in the game? I haven't noticed any problems playing again

OP, imagine yourself as someone who ate frosted flakes every morning for a month or two. You enjoyed the breakfast.

Then you stop eating frosted flakes for breakfast and went to have a variety of food over the past year, come back and notice that all your friends who have been eating the same frosted flakes for breakfast for the entire time are now complaining and being negative about frosted flakes.

You sit down next to them, grab a bowl of frosted flakes, dig into it, and go "why are you all complaining, it tastes good to me."
Well this game has been pretty bad when it comes to updates and balance changes. Small changes and bugs often takes months to fix, these patches also bring in more bugs than they fix. Everyone is negative about this game because it just hasn't been handled well. Also many characters in need of changes simply get ignored while others are focused on too much. Even the balance changes aren't balanced.