Why isnt there a console division of OWL?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Yeah I know, insert pc master race snide comments here. I enjoy pc and console versions of this game. But how does paladins, a free to play game with way less capital involved, manage to have console championships while a paid game can't offer the same? Sure OWL is fun to watch, however id imagine its hard to be super invested from the viewpoint of a strictly console player. Why completely ignore a large chunk of your following? And meta shifts from pc to console so we would be bound to see different comps therefore making it more interesting!
Cuz Mouse and keyboard > controller. PC is the premier platform for Overwatch. They put Overwatch on consoles just for fun and to make extra money. That’s the way I think of it. Heck I’d switch to PC if I could transfer all my skins plus the new OWL skins I have to PC.
Highly Rated
Who would want to watch 12 people struggle to target each other with a dual analog stick setup for 16 hours a week?
Cuz Mouse and keyboard > controller. PC is the premier platform for Overwatch. Overwatch is on consoles is just for fun, that’s the way I think of it.
I agree its the premier platform. Clearly. However to downplay the console as "just for fun" is a dangerous viewpoint. Do people that play comp on Xbox or ps4 take it less seriously? Doubtful. If this is the case why even have comp on console? And again I point to a much smaller company with way less resources hosting console championships with no problems. I just feel blizzard is simply snubbing a large chunk of their following, which if they want the OWL to last, will only come back to bite them in the !@#.
01/13/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Thrillho
Who would want to watch 12 people struggle to target each other with a dual analog stick setup for 16 hours a week?

That's funny man
it's so painful to watch console matches if you're used to PC streamers
Top tier players from console do not "stuggle to target each other"......and people from console would be the ones intersted as they could identify with players from their chosen realm of gameplay.

Yep. It's a good thing they don't play any pro shooters on console.

For one thing, nobody would buys shooters on console anyway. And watching pro games would be like watching that MacGruber .gif of him firing two SMGs wildly.
Does anyone even plays OW on consoles let alone Paladins?
01/13/2018 09:07 AMPosted by HANA
Does anyone even plays OW on consoles let alone Paladins?

Nope. I'm the only one.
Odds are it's nothing more than console players will watch the OWL anyways, if they are interested. PC player would not watch console players for the most part. So there is a real risk of watering down the over all product just to gain a little bit more viewers.

Where as the idea right now is to pitch the OWL as the best of the best so you should watch. They don't really have the market space yet to field two different version of the OWL. Maybe if the esport side takes off we will see a side off shoot that is the console battles. Yet the PC side had to make it first.
Because overwatch had a grassroots competitive scene be created that probably could have grown to incorporate consoles, but bli z decided to destroy it to create their own OWL.
Because whos gonna pay 20 million per team slot to watch some non pc masterrace gameplay?

I guess the people also playing the game with dual analog sticks?

Not sure how a lower quality of play is a problem. Sports have minor leagues and that seems to work out just fine.

I personally don't even like console esports because unless it's an exclusive game, PC rejects usually flood the competitive scene and prevent it from growing naturally.

But come on, show a little respect for fellow members of the OW community.
I feel like it is because it would fragment it a bit too much, you would need a XBONE group and a PS4 group. Having PC only focuses it down a bit, but if it takes off I could see them adding it (hopefully) in the future.

And if anything, watching console players is even more impressive considering the limitations they face with a controller.
01/13/2018 09:10 AMPosted by DeadLamb
Odds are it's nothing more than console players will watch the OWL anyways, if they are interested. PC player would not watch console players for the most part. So there is a real risk of watering down the over all product just to gain a little bit more viewers.

[/quote]

Thats one hell of a blanket statement there chief, care to support that claim with any non hyperbolic evidence?
Most likely it's because there isn't as much interest in a console league outside of console players. People coming from console can still have a vested interest in watching PC games but the reverse is rarely the case in my experience.

Tbh I'm glad they aren't making a console specific league when the community would 100% treat it like a joke anyway.

Edit: I say this as someone who plays on PS4
the same people who watch all those halo tournaments over the years? idk man just a thought
01/13/2018 09:15 AMPosted by DADDY
Most likely it's because there isn't as much interest in a console league outside of console players. People coming from console can still have a vested interest in watching PC games but the reverse is rarely the case in my experience.

Tbh I'm glad they aren't making a console specific league when the community would 100% treat it like a joke anyway.
perhaps the pc community would but to say 100% would treat it like a joke is the root of the problem. The community is bigger than just pc, like it or not.
Because why would you buy a console in the era of affordable gaming PCs?
01/13/2018 09:10 AMPosted by DeadLamb

Where as the idea right now is to pitch the OWL as the best of the best so you should watch. They don't really have the market space yet to field two different version of the OWL. Maybe if the esport side takes off we will see a side off shoot that is the console battles. Yet the PC side had to make it first.
A valid point....thank you for presenting it in a civil manner as well rare to see on the salt flats that are the overwatch forums.