Why isnt there a console division of OWL?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
01/13/2018 09:24 AMPosted by RiotRhythm
Because why would you buy a console in the era of affordable gaming PCs?

Couch. Legs up. 65 inch TV. No KB/M clutter. Convenience.

An affordable PC can't give me any of those let alone at a similar price.
01/13/2018 09:28 AMPosted by BREDFAN

Do you play OW on 65 inch TV?
01/13/2018 09:21 AMPosted by RIVERRAT
01/13/2018 09:15 AMPosted by DADDY
Most likely it's because there isn't as much interest in a console league outside of console players. People coming from console can still have a vested interest in watching PC games but the reverse is rarely the case in my experience.

Tbh I'm glad they aren't making a console specific league when the community would 100% treat it like a joke anyway.
perhaps the pc community would but to say 100% would treat it like a joke is the root of the problem. The community is bigger than just pc, like it or not.

Nah, man, I'm agreeing with you, I play on console and I would love to see some sort of pro track for people playing on PS4/XB1. But look at how the community treats console players, even on really benign stuff like asking for more options in the communication wheel. If there were a console league, there would be a ton of drama and BS from that very large, very vocal part of the community that dislikes console and I highly doubt Blizzard wants to pour money into something that would be so controversial.

It shouldn't be controversial, especially considering the history of FPS on consoles, but here we are.
01/13/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Chadley

Do you play OW on 65 inch TV?

Nah. I just like saying 65 because it's how big my TV is.
01/13/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Thrillho
Who would want to watch 12 people struggle to target each other with a dual analog stick setup for 16 hours a week?

lmao, console GM are pretty much all using M&K
As a console player idgaf, I don't want a league or whatever for console OW.

All I want is the same treatment for the console, promised console based balance changes. I don't wanna wait a whole year for features that the PC got from the start (report feature).

Because that description really makes me think "competitive"
I think I can say, as a console player, that I'd probably watch the esports if there was a console version. That way I could watch and learn. See what top tier console players can do and subsequently have a goal to work towards. Even if it's far fetched I could be that good, it would still be possible. Whereas being as good as a PC player would be impossible.

I've watched Gears of War esports and came away awed at what those players could do. On console. It made me learn and change how I approached pvp in that game.

It basically comes down to watching something and believing I can work to be that good, or watching something and knowing I'll probably never be able to be that good. One makes you hopeful and makes you watch carefully and be more invested. The other is like watching Gods battle Gods. Sure it looks cool, but I'll never be able to pull off those moves.
Who would want to watch 12 people struggle to target each other with a dual analog stick setup for 16 hours a week?

Actually GM console gameplay is like watching diamonds play on pc. Iv'e seen many diamond players, not much of a difference.
01/13/2018 09:38 AMPosted by quiznos

Because that description really makes me think "competitive"

Hmmm. All that person asked was why someone would buy a console over a PC. I gave them my reason.

Did you quote the right person?
Because lets be real console game play is way slower than pc so it would be more boring to watch
Same reason you don't really see a PC - Fighting game tournaments.
Its almost always arcade sticks or controllers in almost all fighting games.
01/13/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Toxic
Because lets be real console game play is way slower than pc so it would be more boring to watch
I don't believe this to be true AT ALL. Peripharals dont change the way the core game works. Gameplay is just as hectic and fast paced on console as pc.
How about blizzard just add cross play for OWL and let there be a PS4 team and an xbox team. They'll never win against PC, but you can always root to be the 2nd last team.

But seriously, adding a console division would just divide up the views and I don't think there is any real expectation console esports would be as profitable as PC.
01/13/2018 09:35 AMPosted by Amir
console GM are pretty much all using M&K

That's probably true enough, that the pro players on console would just participate in PC OWL if they were good enough.
As a console player - shut up. We already know why. It seems like you're just here to stir up drama.

Console exclusives. I didn't but my PS4 just for Overwatch, I like PC gaming but you can't get everything in one package. For me the console option had more games that I was interested in.
01/13/2018 10:02 AMPosted by VirgoBro96
As a console player - shut up. We already know why. It seems like you're just here to stir up drama.
Its a serious question and discussion....not sure who pissed in your cornflakes but feel free to come back to the conversation when you grow up a little.
Console isn't the premiere choice for sponsors as any products they develop for consoles already have a significant portion eaten away by the console companies. It may only be 1~2% of the total sales price, but if you add marketing and esport costs, that can be enough to bring most companies into the red.

Plus, you have a much smaller target demographic in console that honestly feels much more niche than the PC demographic, meaning an overall lower ROI. If you want console esports to take off, Blizz really needs to push for more console players first and get the community to support them. And judging from some of the more vitriolic comments in this thread alone, you know how difficult that can be.

01/13/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Fruitslayer

I guess the people also playing the game with dual analog sticks?

Not sure how a lower quality of play is a problem. Sports have minor leagues and that seems to work out just fine.

I personally don't even like console esports because unless it's an exclusive game, PC rejects usually flood the competitive scene and prevent it from growing naturally.

But come on, show a little respect for fellow members of the OW community.

Being a "minor league" isn't the kind of moniker you want attached to an aspiring professional gamer nor an esports team, especially when the next logical step is actually a "college division" so you have an arena to develop and pool young and promising players for your pro teams.

well there were halo tournaments and those games are on the console