Why isnt there a console division of OWL?

General Discussion
01/13/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Thrillho
Who would want to watch 12 people struggle to target each other with a dual analog stick setup for 16 hours a week?

Damn 52% accuracy I really struggle
Let's say things like how they really are: there's no console Overwatch pro league because Blizzard doesn't want it to exist because they see Console Overwatch players as low class citizens.

All other excuses are just that, excuses. Come on, Overwatch's playerbase completely dwarfs Paladins' and yet, somehow, they managed to do it.
01/13/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Neospartan
Let's say things like how they really are: there's no console Overwatch pro league because Blizzard doesn't want it to exist because they see Console Overwatch players as low class citizens.

All other excuses are just that, excuses. Come on, Overwatch's playerbase completely dwarfs Paladins' and yet, somehow, they managed to do it.
Precisely my point!
01/13/2018 10:06 AMPosted by Ancova
Console isn't the premiere choice for sponsors as any products they develop for consoles already have a significant portion eaten away by the console companies. It may only be 1~2% of the total sales price, but if you add marketing and esport costs, that can be enough to bring most companies into the red.

Plus, you have a much smaller target demographic in console that honestly feels much more niche than the PC demographic, meaning an overall lower ROI. If you want console esports to take off, Blizz really needs to push for more console players first and get the community to support them. And judging from some of the more vitriolic comments in this thread alone, you know how difficult that can be.

Being a "minor league" isn't the kind of moniker you want attached to an aspiring professional gamer nor an esports team, especially when the next logical step is actually a "college division" so you have an arena to develop and pool young and promising players for your pro teams.
I agree with you on several points. And perhaps a pro and farm league style setup would be an ideal move. And I see no reason to immideatly label a console league as minor league.....these would be the best players from each ethop....so what exactly would make it minor league? Best of the best is still the best (within the confines of the gives console naturally). And given the amount of money blizzard has thrown at this endeavor thus far what another couple million? Thanks for the civil input btw.....kids can be very salty on these forums.
01/13/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Serule
care to support that claim with any non hyperbolic evidence?

That PC player don't want to watch sup-par FPS game play on consoles, but console might still watch PC? I mean is that even really up for debate? The OWL is pulling 200k-400k viewers off 3 days and 6 hours of content per a day. I'm not sure there is room for another 3 day and another 6+ hours of content per but by way of console players.

plus marketing wise it's just better to only focus on PC.
The market for product placement and tie ins is better with the PC. The entire system is closed and owned by Blizzard so the money comes right to them. They can make all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ deals they want on their own with 3rd parties. Where as Blizzard can't even patch their own game on consoles with out Sony or Microsoft having a say in what is going on. Plus nerd marketing wise the PC players are already better known than console player due to twitch streaming, youtube and social media self promotion.
Console players don't have any of that outside of a few youtube personalities that just happen to play a little Overwatch too.

You just can't have a spin off until the main show is a hit. Blizzard wants the OWL to be a real event you look forward too. It doesn't help that goal to over saturation the market by doubling up the event to cover consoles too.
01/13/2018 11:09 AMPosted by DeadLamb
01/13/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Serule
care to support that claim with any non hyperbolic evidence?

That PC player don't want to watch sup-par FPS game play on consoles, but console might still watch PC? I mean is that even really up for debate? The OWL is pulling 200k-400k viewers off 3 days and 6 hours of content per a day. I'm not sure there is room for another 3 day and another 6+ hours of content per but by way of console players.

plus marketing wise it's just better to only focus on PC.
The market for product placement and tie ins is better with the PC. The entire system is closed and owned by Blizzard so the money comes right to them. They can make all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ deals they want on their own with 3rd parties. Where as Blizzard can't even patch their own game on consoles with out Sony or Microsoft having a say in what is going on. Plus nerd marketing wise the PC players are already better known than console player due to twitch streaming, youtube and social media self promotion.
Console players don't have any of that outside of a few youtube personalities that just happen to play a little Overwatch too.

You just can't have a spin off until the main show is a hit. Blizzard wants the OWL to be a real event you look forward too. It doesn't help that goal to over saturation the market by doubling up the event to cover consoles too.
very valid argument.....perhaps they could start by introducing a console section to the world cup at blizcon. Maybe this would build the market strength for consoles.
01/13/2018 09:24 AMPosted by RiotRhythm
Because why would you buy a console in the era of affordable gaming PCs?
Paying a grand for something used purely for entertainment is in no way cheap. I picked up my TV and my Xbox combined for under 400 pounds. As for why I'd buy a console over a gaming PC:
- Most of my friends are on console
- It's what I'm used to
- Console exclusives (if my sister didn't already have one I'd have literally chosen PS4 over Xbox purely to get the Crash Bandicoot remaster)
- I usually play sports games and racing games, both of which are better with a controller (apart from The Crew, which for some reason has terrible controller configuration and no ability to reconfigure them as far as I can see)

I'm not about to switch just because one game I already have has better controls and gameplay on PC.
bcuz PC users are simple minded and think that console players aren't as good as them
One possible aspect could be the fact that a console platform is subject to a limited lifespan due to new consoles coming out, while the PC doesn't suffer that problem.

If Overwatch is to be the big thing Blizzard hopes it will be, why would they invest all of this into platforms that will become irrelevant once the next generation of consoles are released... which at this point is closer than you realize. The XB1 and PS4 released in late 2013, which is over 4 years at this point. Considering that a console's lifespan is generally 8 years, we're already over the halfway point.

Take a game like WoW for instance... that came out in 2004 and is still going strong. The PS2 and original Xbox were the consoles in the spotlight at that time. That kind of longevity would never happen for any console game.

Blizzard is playing it safe and sticking with not only the most popular platform for the game, but also the platform that's not going away any time soon.
01/13/2018 10:08 AMPosted by Shila
01/13/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Thrillho
Who would want to watch 12 people struggle to target each other with a dual analog stick setup for 16 hours a week?

Damn 52% accuracy I really struggle

Doesn't the console version have aim assist? I'm unimpressed.
Because the game can't be setup and custom modded through a console for OWL. Can you connect 12 PS4/XB1 in a LAN network setup?
01/13/2018 08:50 AMPosted by RIVERRAT
Yeah I know, insert pc master race snide comments here. I enjoy pc and console versions of this game. But how does paladins, a free to play game with way less capital involved, manage to have console championships while a paid game can't offer the same? Sure OWL is fun to watch, however id imagine its hard to be super invested from the viewpoint of a strictly console player. Why completely ignore a large chunk of your following? And meta shifts from pc to console so we would be bound to see different comps therefore making it more interesting!

If you were truly interested in Overwatch esports on consoles then you would know there are numerous Xbox and Playstation tournaments for consoles as well as championship/cup tournaments.

If you're interested in console esports for Overwatch, instead of assuming that it's "completely ignored" then actually do some research, e.g. take two seconds to google it.
01/13/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Ultaholic
01/13/2018 08:50 AMPosted by RIVERRAT
Yeah I know, insert pc master race snide comments here. I enjoy pc and console versions of this game. But how does paladins, a free to play game with way less capital involved, manage to have console championships while a paid game can't offer the same? Sure OWL is fun to watch, however id imagine its hard to be super invested from the viewpoint of a strictly console player. Why completely ignore a large chunk of your following? And meta shifts from pc to console so we would be bound to see different comps therefore making it more interesting!

If you were truly interested in Overwatch esports on consoles then you would know there are numerous Xbox and Playstation tournaments for consoles as well as championship/cup tournaments.

If you're interested in console esports for Overwatch, instead of assuming that it's "completely ignored" then actually do some research, e.g. take two seconds to google it.
I was referring to a offically sanctioned blizzard event/part of OWL....of course there are offshoot competitions....so perhaps instead of being so sarcastic and negative you could maybe read the original post. Have a great day!
01/13/2018 12:11 PMPosted by Hulkie
Because the game can't be setup and custom modded through a console for OWL. Can you connect 12 PS4/XB1 in a LAN network setup?
if a small company like hi rez can manage to do it im sure blizzard can figure it out lol
Nothing is stopping console players from running their own grassroots tournaments. If they catch on maybe they pick it up
01/13/2018 01:10 PMPosted by kleanupman
Nothing is stopping console players from running their own grassroots tournaments. If they catch on maybe they pick it up
agreed but some support from the company in any form would be a huge step in the right direction....at this point its a slap in the face to not at least include console play in the world cup.....I understand the concept of not including it in the initial iteration of the OWL. Blizzard could care less about console players and its painfully obvious.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I was referring to a offically sanctioned blizzard event/part of OWL....of course there are offshoot competitions....so perhaps instead of being so sarcastic and negative you could maybe read the original post. Have a great day!

MLG hosts Overwatch tournaments (on consoles) with prizes. Guess who owns MLG?

Again, if you were really interested in Overwatch esports on console platforms then you should know this already. The point is, if you're interested in competitive esports for Overwatch on console then there are resources, there are teams, there are tournaments, sponsors and prizes. And as a bonus, there's no 20 million buy in.
01/13/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Neospartan

They weren't demanding 20 mill from each team.

Seriously that buy in cost is crazy.
<span class="truncated">...</span> I was referring to a offically sanctioned blizzard event/part of OWL....of course there are offshoot competitions....so perhaps instead of being so sarcastic and negative you could maybe read the original post. Have a great day!

MLG hosts Overwatch tournaments (on consoles) with prizes. Guess who owns MLG?

Again, if you were really interested in Overwatch esports on console platforms then you should know this already.
Again I'm aware of this.....and again you clearly dont understand what I'm saying. Read the title of this post. And no ill will or bad blood bro just trying to get my point across. Its like if you had two siblings and its christmas. Papa Jeff gives one of your siblings a shiny new toy to play with. Do all three of you want a new toy? Absolutely! And then papa Jeff tells you and your toyless sibling "oh well, you can watch your brother play with his toy though". It just furthers the divide between the groups...when in reality we all love the game enough to take time to argue about it on forums in our spare time.
Paladins also lets you transfer cosmetics from console to PC. I wish OW used some of the good things they do too.