Why isnt there a console division of OWL?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
because console GM is still equivalent to PC Gold/Plat
01/13/2018 09:32 AMPosted by DADDY
Nah, man, I'm agreeing with you, I play on console and I would love to see some sort of pro track for people playing on PS4/XB1. But look at how the community treats console players, even on really benign stuff like asking for more options in the communication wheel. If there were a console league, there would be a ton of drama and BS from that very large, very vocal part of the community that dislikes console and I highly doubt Blizzard wants to pour money into something that would be so controversial.

It shouldn't be controversial, especially considering the history of FPS on consoles, but here we are.
This is confusing to me because every pro console thread gets upvoted, and every time a bad apple roasts consoles they get downvoted to high hell.

We treat you guys the way we treat each other, stop trying to make stuff up.
Most of these Pc users are really clueless about console OW...

First off all, and I hope you know this before talking crap about console OW, it is not the controller’s fault that the console players have such challenges sorely. It is Blizzard’s inability to properly fix/work on FPS mechanics with the sticks. Call of Duty, Titanfall 1 and 2, Battlefield, and many FPS have actual solid FOS mechanics where deadzones are barely an issue, while it took like a year for the OW console team to implement Aim Smoothing... see?

Now with such limitations, most console players can actually aim and be accurate. This becomes even more apparent above plat where you will find many good hitscans, then above diamond you start seeing Widowmakers that make it really hard to move forward... So this BS that console players can’t aim is just that... BS!

now there must be another reason for not OwL on consoles. Maybe it is not worth it but it is possible to make, regardless of what the clueless PC players think.
01/13/2018 01:44 PMPosted by BaboonSlayer
Even if this is true (saving that arguement for another thread) what would it matter? These are the top tier players for their individual platform.....and wouldnt be facing pc players so this is a moot point really.

DSPStanki
Arikadou
PvP

I can go on about how these players disproved that myth.
The PC version is much more popular in other parts of the world.

OWL includes countries like China and South Korea where the PC version of Overwatch is played much more often than console.

Whether you like it or not the PC version of Overwatch is the "definitive" experience.
These Xbox and Playstation players that get angry when PC players tell them why console is inferior are the same people that like to make fun of Nintendo fans for their consoles.

PC/switch combo is best combo
because Blizzard only cares about PC version
01/13/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Selauriel
01/13/2018 09:32 AMPosted by DADDY
Nah, man, I'm agreeing with you, I play on console and I would love to see some sort of pro track for people playing on PS4/XB1. But look at how the community treats console players, even on really benign stuff like asking for more options in the communication wheel. If there were a console league, there would be a ton of drama and BS from that very large, very vocal part of the community that dislikes console and I highly doubt Blizzard wants to pour money into something that would be so controversial.

It shouldn't be controversial, especially considering the history of FPS on consoles, but here we are.
This is confusing to me because every pro console thread gets upvoted, and every time a bad apple roasts consoles they get downvoted to high hell.

We treat you guys the way we treat each other, stop trying to make stuff up.
I have zero animosity for anyone who plays the game regardless of platform. We all love the same thing, regardless of the platform we choose. But the divide is definitely there. Just look at this thread as an example. A good chunk of the comments boil down to "because pc players are better than console players". I expect it EVERY time I post here about anything console related. To the point I even included the line "insert snide pc master race comments here". Perhaps both sides are guilty of lump assumptions. If you play on pc exclusively and dont carry the high and mighty pc master race attitude I commend you. Just realize alot of your counterparts are far from being as civil and level headed.
01/13/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Serule
I feel like it is because it would fragment it a bit too much, you would need a XBONE group and a PS4 group. Having PC only focuses it down a bit, but if it takes off I could see them adding it (hopefully) in the future.

And if anything, watching console players is even more impressive considering the limitations they face with a controller.

Honestly, the limitations are minor.
Even without aim-assist I'm still keeping up with PC plat avg accuracy, and I wouldn't even call aim my OW strength.

When it comes down to it you'll find that those who are used to using sticks can perform to very high standards with their familiar tool. It's the same for PC. A guy who's exclusively played console will fall flat very quickly if given a M/KB to play with, but I'm sure the same can be said for a PC player who's never touched a controller.

As somebody who played PC shooters long before settling for consoles I can still honestly say I've encountered some real monsters with a controller.
01/13/2018 01:57 PMPosted by DVS
These Xbox and Playstation players that get angry when PC players tell them why console is inferior are the same people that like to make fun of Nintendo fans for their consoles.

Who would moan about Nintendo though? If you're not interested in FPS, or realistic Sports/Racing then Nintendo will always be top dog in regards to how good the games are. Sure, the Wii U flopped and the 2DS is an absolute ripoff (basically a DS i, without the folding screen that was first implemented in the GBA, even though it was 2 generations after the DSI and 5 after the GBA), but the Switch is hands down the best console ever made, and will only be surpassed once VR advances a bit more. If I had more room then the Switch would be my next major investment.
I do not see reason to get fussy about this.

If the game and its standing in esports does well, I am pretty sure that console will get OWL aswell.
01/13/2018 01:57 PMPosted by DVS

I own every one of the platforms you just mentioned. They each have their advantages. Sorry people make fun of you for playing Nintendo. I still play my NES regularly. But this is simply your opinion....console players are not "inferior" as you say. And furthermore I'm not angry. Its sad really that people can love the same thing yet be divided by simple things such as chosen platform. Everyone deserves a fair shake is all I'm saying.
01/13/2018 01:36 PMPosted by RIVERRAT

MLG hosts Overwatch tournaments (on consoles) with prizes. Guess who owns MLG?

Again, if you were really interested in Overwatch esports on console platforms then you should know this already.

Again I'm aware of this.....and again you clearly dont understand what I'm saying. Read the title of this post. And no ill will or bad blood bro just trying to get my point across. Its like if you had two siblings and its christmas. Papa Jeff gives one of your siblings a shiny new toy to play with. Do all three of you want a new toy? Absolutely! And then papa Jeff tells you and your toyless sibling "oh well, you can watch your brother play with his toy though". It just furthers the divide between the groups...when in reality we all love the game enough to take time to argue about it on forums in our spare time.

As other people have mentioned, it's about the audience and the playerbase. There's a stronger and far bigger professional/competitive base (and overall playerbase) in PC Overwatch. That's not a dig on consoles, that's just a fact.

I'm not saying it would be a bad thing to have a mini-OWL or whatever for consoles but I don't think it makes sense right now to split the community between console and PC by hosting two different tournaments at the same time.
I see plenty of console tournements, and with all the dislike towards owl i doubt a console version would be better revieced.

Again I'm aware of this.....and again you clearly dont understand what I'm saying. Read the title of this post. And no ill will or bad blood bro just trying to get my point across. Its like if you had two siblings and its christmas. Papa Jeff gives one of your siblings a shiny new toy to play with. Do all three of you want a new toy? Absolutely! And then papa Jeff tells you and your toyless sibling "oh well, you can watch your brother play with his toy though". It just furthers the divide between the groups...when in reality we all love the game enough to take time to argue about it on forums in our spare time.

As other people have mentioned, it's about the audience and the playerbase. There's a stronger and far bigger professional/competitive base (and overall playerbase) in PC Overwatch. That's not a dig on consoles, that's just a fact.

I'm not saying it would be a bad thing to have a mini-OWL or whatever for consoles but I don't think it makes sense right now to split the community between console and PC by hosting two different tournaments at the same time.
At this point I'm with you. Perhaps the best start would be to at least include console in the world cup next year, perhaps a small tourney to determine teams prior. And gauge interest from there. Good luck and may your games be free of toxicity!
01/13/2018 01:55 PMPosted by Abuelita

DSPStanki
Arikadou
PvP

I can go on about how these players disproved that myth.
3 drops doesn't fill a bucket, pal.
Watching our top players would be like watching their Master players.
01/13/2018 03:10 PMPosted by Foxter
Watching our top players would be like watching their Master players.
Everyone says this and I have never once seen any actual evidence to back it up. I would love to see someone arrange a platform exchange where 6 pc players switched to Xbox or ps for a month and vice versa.....I play on both pc and xbox and I'm plat on both counts. Maybe I'm an exception to the rule....but my gut says this observation is built on bull. If anyone has hard evidence otherwise id love to see it.