Why is WIDOW In EVERY Quick Play game?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
Another thing I feel I must point out:

People may choose heroes they don't have much time on and they may be completely crummy on those heroes, but just because they continue playing on said hero it doesn't mean they are throwing games. They are still trying to win. Because if they do win with these heroes in the QP setting, then maybe they'll have what it takes to succeed with them in the competitive setting, too. That's just what it takes for one to expand their own hero pool.

So don't talk smack about players who are doing nothing more than trying to discover more of their potential and hone their craft and game sense on less-rehearsed heroes.
01/23/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Phantom
Did you just start playing yesterday? It's been this way since launch. And double sniper since early 2017.

And triple sniper when Ana was "OP"
She's a sniveling backliner. I hate seeing them every game, insta kill from far way, no way to get to her, annoying as !@#$. Screw the skill argument. Maybe if Sombra could one tap her it would be better.

Your average sniper is playing half the game, they don't need to worry about enemies and split second movement, they just need basic positioning and twitch skill. I believe that a role that requires no need of man to man combat should not be able to destroy a whole team purely on mouse movement.

This is someone who has over 1500 hours in tf2, I know what the word "unfair" means.
01/23/2018 06:47 PMPosted by TeamChevy86
Just like every other FPS game out there, sniping can be the most fun. Insta kill headshots feel good

Just not for the receiver, which feels cheated and unfun.
01/23/2018 06:34 PMPosted by NuggyBear
Maybe only 1/20 are any good too.
Lucky you. Seems like every other game I get matched against a frigging Widow God who just headshots every single person on my team every time. Oddly enough, they're rarely on my team. It's hell.
01/23/2018 06:36 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
Expect her to be in 100% of all quick play games for a while now that she has this amazing Nova skin and all the pros are playing her in League.
^^^ I’ll add to your comment that Widow is the star of the Overwatch league.
I don't understand it.

What is it about that character. Maybe only 1/20 are any good too. Don't give me that crap about practice either as these people are not new players. They have hours on her in qp, but are usually either Mercy or Genji mains in comp.

Why her though? Why not, Reaper? Why not, Ana? Widow has to be in something over 90% of all quick play games.

Someone explain it to me. I am at a loss.

I could have 100 hours on McCree and still suck as Widowmaker, simply due to how shooting with a scope changes things completely.

Time isn't a metric to use on everyone to measure how good they are, some people will get it extremely fast, others will take hundreds of hours to get used to.

But in the end that doesn't mean everyone can do it.
Because QP is good for warming up Widow before going into comp.
I don't understand it.

What is it about that character. Maybe only 1/20 are any good too. Don't give me that crap about practice either as these people are not new players. They have hours on her in qp, but are usually either Mercy or Genji mains in comp.

Why her though? Why not, Reaper? Why not, Ana? Widow has to be in something over 90% of all quick play games.

I mean god forbid they play her in quick play. People in comp already made it clear they don’t want widow on their team unless their name is kephrii, so where else can they play her?
I know people can play what ever they want, and I respect your hero choice, but at least don’t be Widowmaker if you know your not contributing. I’m sick of having to play 5v6 almost every round.

If you can’t carry your own wait, then it’s time to change characters.
I've been trying to do a little more Widow lately

Reaper?

Reaper often satisfies my sniping needs

Why not, Ana?

Because I want to try and snipe, not heal

Heal yourself
I don't understand it.

Because they think its cool...

Actually I mind her LESS in attack.... but most of the times they don't pull their weight.

Most of the time I find it that Widow, Genji or Hanzo are played by selfish players that say "I'm just playing what I wanna play".

Not the best attitude for a team game, in my opinion.
its because she is rewarding to play. land 3 headshots and you win the fight for free(not always I guess). playing ana is much less rewarding. when was the last time you saw an Ana potg? when you headshot as widow youre instantly given a nice high-five from the game saying "Eliminated GENJIGOD420" when you play ana there isnt anything like that. you land some clutch healing on the pharah across the map that lets her win that 1v1 with mccree? its just 1 more heal amongst the many heals.
I see a lot of replies commenting on how we should let people play who they want, they paid for the game, yadda yadda.

We don't get to pick our pugs. If you are "playing what you want to play" regardless of what the team requires, then you're being inconsiderate. Your team needs something more effective, but you refuse to switch because you don't care what they need and you just want to play what you want to play. They can't replace you. They can try to pick around you, but in this case they are accommodating YOU. So instalocking a Widow or a Doomfist etc and refusing to switch is indeed inconsiderate. Being critical of this behavior feels fine to me.

Using QP as a means to practice a hero doesn't feel like a good argument. If you want to learn a new hero, I think that Deathmatch is a far more effective arena. The games move so much faster, with seemingly faster queue times and your choices and performance only impact your gameplay and your experience. Plus, QP... nobody stands in the right place, nobody picks the right targets, nobody communicates - by the time you take this shiny new hero into competitive, it's a completely different game (In my experience).

So play who you want to play. Just don't pretend like you aren't adversely affecting other people by refusing to try and fill roles where needed. Be honest, and say this outloud "I don't care what my team needs, or how these people are going to feel about interacting with me. I play what I want. I am inconsiderate." Hell, feel free to type it out.
Its because widow custom games dont make you a better widow player. Shooting other widows in the head constantly actually harm your widow aim sense against other heroes like McCree and Genji/Tracer.

And most dont want to throw in comp by picking her and not getting results. Genji/Tracer/Hog is meta in free for all and theres nobody to top you up. Literally widow's nightmare. Quickplay is the only option as theres usually that one person practicing ana/zen.
When I play in competitive I get 1 free shot. And then the enemy team instantly becomes

Orisa, Winston, Genji, Tracer, Widowmaker, Mercy

And I get a discord orb from a zenyatta that's not even in the game as I get dove by even a valkyrie mercy out for blood.

So I play in quick play where the enemy McCree never swaps to counter me.
01/23/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Pachanga
Most of the time I find it that Widow, Genji or Hanzo are played by selfish players that say "I'm just playing what I wanna play".

Not the best attitude for a team game, in my opinion.

I think trying to group up all Widows and Hanzo players as selfish and only in it for themselves is not the best attitude for a team game.
I for one loving playing Widow and arent bad at her, on Pc atleast I find that Widow can be great. Its nice to practice flicks and stuff and just aim in general with her.
01/23/2018 09:50 PMPosted by Bape
Its because widow custom games dont make you a better widow player. Shooting other widows in the head constantly actually harm your widow aim sense against other heroes like McCree and Genji/Tracer.

And most dont want to throw in comp by picking her and not getting results. Genji/Tracer/Hog is meta in free for all and theres nobody to top you up. Literally widow's nightmare. Quickplay is the only option as theres usually that one person practicing ana/zen.

I see Widow do fine in Deathmatch pretty consistantly. It sorta depends on the map you get, I suppose.

Its not even that you CANT play Widow on QP, it's just asinine to pretend like people valiantly defending their choice to play their pick doesn't negatively impact other people's experience. If you want to play Widow, pick her and see how it goes - if it's not working, choosing to sit on the Widow becomes more of an inconsiderate decision.

Also, the only reason I care currently is because I have to level a 2nd account, and this mindset is so prevelant in QP that the whole experience is anti-fun. I have to queue for like 4-5 minutes sometimes, sit at the team building screen for what feels like forever, watch in dismay as my team instantly fills up with 5 DPS, and then sit by hopelessly as we waste the next 10 minutes. Slow !@# victory screen, slow $%^ POTG intro and the POTG, then a slow -*! recap screen before we get to hop back in queue for 5 minutes.
I like playing McCree and Widow in QP because they are crap if you can't aim so its better to practice with them there.